Author Topic: 3.5 Rebuild Poll Part 40: What do feats do?  (Read 1639 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
3.5 Rebuild Poll Part 40: What do feats do?
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »
If you were rebuilding 3.5, what would Feats be able to do?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: 3.5 Rebuild Poll Part 40: What do feats do?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:04:38 AM »
My biggest thing would be giving new abilities.  I can see an argument for mimicing class features (if balanced) depending on how multiclassing is handled, but it's not as important to me.

I'm real iffy about feats giving bonuses for the most part.  I can see some sorts of bonuses, like proficiency granting a +4 bonus to hit (or removing a -4 penalty which is the same thing).  I want to be careful about handing out all sorts of static bonuses to things like attack rolls for two reasons:

1) It makes it harder to control the RNG, meaning that two people of the same level might not be playing the same game

2) Everyone will want to take those feats if bonuses are precious enough.  This leads to cookie-cutter classes.

So, rather than seeing a feat that grants +1 to hit with a weapon, I'd rather see it unlock cool tricks with the weapon.  Rather than +2 to Hide and Move Silently, I'd rather see things it grant both skills as class skills for all of your classes and let you Hide as a move or swift action and Move Silently at full speed.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
Bonuses, I think, shouldn't be offered via feats, barring situational bonuses that generally overlap(if at that), while class features, I reckon, are the domain of multiclassing, new options are the key. Though a limited level of class feature grantery is probably acceptable(level appropriate in power(damage, attack bonus, etc) but entry level in complexity, like say a 1st level psionic power at your HD in manifester level).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 02:26:54 PM »
All of the above.

I like taking a feat to get evasion or uncanny dodge or a couple d6's of sneak attack. I like taking feats that give me permanent bonuses. I like taking feats that give me new special abilities or qualities.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 09:17:27 PM »
Generally agreed, but bonuses are OK. I actually think that there are some situations where it's OK to bypass the RNG, and feat investment is one of the situations where the cost is high enough to justify contributing to it. I, personally, don't mind Improved Trip making it likelier that you will actually trip things, among whatever else it does.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »
All of the above.

I like taking a feat to get evasion or uncanny dodge or a couple d6's of sneak attack. I like taking feats that give me permanent bonuses. I like taking feats that give me new special abilities or qualities.
All of the above +2
Yeah you need to add all of the above to that table because in this case you're fucking a lot of people by forcing them to pick "Other" .
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 11:00:24 PM »
All of the above.

All of the above +2
Yeah you need to add all of the above to that table because in this case you're fucking a lot of people by forcing them to pick "Other" .

You made me notice I didn't actually even vote. I'm not going to. I'm including "Other" in my "All of the Above".

I want feats to do all the shit listed, and other stuff too.

In case it's not clear, I like feats. They are in my opinion one of the best aspects of the game because they offer infinite customization.

I'm currently in a level 4 campaign, I'm a dark creature with the darkstalker and travel devotion feats. This combination has allowed me to charge opponents silently while hidden, stab them, and then hide from them all the same round. I don't even have sneak attack, but I'm unusually effective (I'd definitely pwn with more sneak attack, but that's not the build). The best part is that I had no clue I could do that until after I started play. I just picked feats that would be useful to me later in my levels and found a cool combo on accident.

That doesn't happen as often with class abilities (Which I also love)
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.