Author Topic: Feat advice for a Factotum/Warblade soloing a dungeon  (Read 2310 times)

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Feat advice for a Factotum/Warblade soloing a dungeon
« on: November 19, 2009, 02:40:41 AM »
So I've decided to try my hand at this- a solo dungeon that begins at first level and ends I-don't-know when. I've decided to try and do it with a Factotum/Warblade. Race, I think, will be air human: breathless will help me survive any number of dickish traps that may show up, and humans rock in general. I'll be spending most of my starting gold on Shapesand, because Shapesand Can Do Anything. It rocks that way.
Because I've decided not to read ahead to others' game threads for the same dungeon, I haven't the faintest clue what kind of challenges will be showing up- so I'm keeping my planned build rather protean, not planning on PrCs or long feat-chain tricks because they require planning considerably in advance and I'll be customizing my level-ups based on what I see in the dungeon...and Factotum/Warblade is kinda hard to go *very* far wrong with.

However, I don't quite know what to do with my feats. Because I'm a human with two Flaws, I have four of the damned things. I'm looking mostly for feats of broad utility that will remain useful across a wide spectrum of challenge types and level ranges- again because I have no idea what to expect. Improved Initiative and three Fonts of Inspiration are my best guess so far, but I'll bet there's a doozy or two I'm missing. Help me out?

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
Re: Feat advice for a Factotum/Warblade soloing a dungeon
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 03:32:19 AM »
Since you're a Warblade you can retrain any weapon feats you take in an hour, Weapon Focus might not hurt.

Power Attack comes in handy. Especially because you can cast Truestrike if you want (Although by the time you get Arcane Dilletante it's likely you'll have better spells to cast). If this game isn't going up many levels it's not worth it though (Power Attack at low levels is semi-retarded, run all the math and quote all the averages you want, penalizing your attack bonus is a bad idea at low levels). Cleave is a nice way to get an extra attack (And sorta beat the action economy against multiple opponents)

Tunnel Fighting or Blind Fight might not be bad either, depending on how ready you want to be. You only have you to count on, so you want to avoid debilitating statuses as much as possible. Does Dragontouched

I also like having Improved Unarmed Strike handy as well as improved grapple (if only for the defense against grapple), but that's preparing for the worst.

Dragontouched is not a terrible feat, especially considering what things it makes available.

BTW, this is irrelevant at your level, but an amusing detail of Iron Heart Surge is that it can end undesirable area affects (That's more RAW than RAI though, your DM would probably kill it).

I might not have taken flaws in your shoes, what seems like a negligible weakness becomes a massive vulnerability when you've no group to back you up.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 03:59:45 AM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 04:53:43 AM »
Don't get Improved Initiative... Factotum 3 will cover that for you nicely.  I'd recommend Darkstalker though... the ability to sneak through unseen is just so darn useful.  If you want Iajuitsu Focus damage (which with Sapphire Nightmare Blade is great) consider EWP: Quickrazor, though you can't take that at level 1 if Factotum is your first level.

JaronK

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:45:35 AM »
If flexible retraining is allowed I would try this:

1: Weapon Finesse (but retrain it as soon as you can afford a (Alchemical Silver? because you'll be going from 1d3 to 1d2 damage) Feycraft Quickrazor), Darkstalker, FOI, FOI
3: EWP(Quickrazor)
6: That poison thingy? (Master of Poisons.)

I guess if you put more weight on Warblade you could go Str based and use some heavier armour eventually, in which case you either really stack up on the FOI, or take something else handy at level 1. Like... I don't know. Weapon Focus(katana) if you want to go Iaijutsu-master eventually. Nymph's kiss if you want to REALLY stack up on those skill points. Able learner is also always a candidate, because multiclassing means losing all those neat class skills, otherwise.

The neat thing on a Quickrazor is that you can just use a spear at level 1, but keep the spear until later, even when you have a Quickrazor, so that you can threaten with reach, but attack with the Quickrazor when you want to use Iaijutsu-focus. You can do this because a Qickrazor doesn't need a hand until you actually use it, and taking a hand off a weapon or putting it back is a free action on your turn.

Toptomcat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 12:50:57 PM »
Remind me where to find Darkstalker?

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 01:03:36 PM »
Lords of Madness.

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 02:41:12 PM »
Where's the Quickrazor?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
Races of Stone
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286