Author Topic: Silencing Your Spies When They Get Caught  (Read 4367 times)

Vinom

• Hong Kong
  • Rejoice, Bad things are about to happen!
    • Email
Re: Silencing Your Spies When They Get Caught
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 08:04:47 PM »
I'd have the say the simplest method is to replace one of their teeth with a bead of force, or similar item... they bite down, taking out a few people and destroying their head in the process.
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

Quote from:  Sarda the Sage
You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Pulling off Pun-pun in 26 rounds

N00bs, because all gamers have to start somewhere

"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from Science!"

Remember, Mobs are at least as stupid as their dumbest member.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 11:42:26 AM »
I'd have the say the simplest method is to replace one of their teeth with a bead of force, or similar item... they bite down, taking out a few people and destroying their head in the process.
More expensive, but more effective, than my method. Quite a bit more effective, actually.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 12:05:11 PM »
It'd bar them from approaching the corpse as well, good time for the retrieval spells to go off and teleport the corpse back. Once hes dead, it's an object.

I mean, would you want to chance them raising a sentient undead out of the corpse and commanding it?

EDIT: Wait, what if you use disguised undead spies?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:07:31 PM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 12:08:57 PM »
It'd bar them from approaching the corpse as well, good time for the retrieval spells to go off and teleport the corpse back. Once hes dead, it's an object.

I mean, would you want to chance them raising a sentient undead out of the corpse and commanding it?

EDIT: Wait, what if you use disguised undead spies?
What if they anticipated this type trap, and put up an AMF around him though. If they trapped him there, the magical precautions would cease working. Need a non-magical backup.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 12:29:31 PM »
Fast acting Int poison coupled to a slower Con poison, in large dosage. If they raise the AMF, theres no chance of them stopping the poison from dissolving your brain and then your organs. If they don't you go boom and get retrieved.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 02:30:27 PM »
Line the skull with thermite (or DnD alchemic equivelent) and it set off when the bead of force in cracked... not as effective for others, but still renders the spy a corpse and the corpse unable to speak...
A player once asked me if there was any way to make a Tarrasque more evil... 3 sessions later he was stoned with D20s as the PC led an exidus out of the path of a Dire Tarrasque of Legendary Wonder.

You're a quick thinker and spiteful, I can respect that. You won't be killed, Bikke

Never trust a smiling laughing chuckling grinning emotionless drunk, you know what Never Trust a DM!

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 03:07:19 PM »
Another option to use if the enemies manage to disable your spy's suicide method is to love your spies and then cast love's pain repeatedly on yourself.

Vinom

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »
The spy who loved me?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 04:41:19 PM »
Something that I'm doing in my current campaign (which was inspired by one of the PCs in my last one):
Make prolific use of the Mother Cyst spells (LM).

Necrotic Cyst is at the heart of it (of course). 
Necrotic Tumor, with carefully worded instruction to not violate OPSEC is very useful for not being caught to begin with.  It also prevents someone from extracting information from your operatives.

Craft Contingency is also pretty awesome.  (because of time and costs constraints) Use "craft contingency" to hit-up your key operatives with a Necrotic Eruption or Necrotic Termination, in the event that OPSEC get's potentially compromised.

This has become a major focal point for my current campaign -- while the PCs are becoming frustrated (and have definitely compromised their morals and ethics when dealing with it), the players just love the insidiousness of it.

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »
That made me a little jealous I hadn't already thought of it. Very nice.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]