Author Topic: 3.5 Rebuid Poll Part 34: Class SKills  (Read 1657 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
3.5 Rebuid Poll Part 34: Class SKills
« on: November 14, 2009, 08:27:51 PM »
If you were rebuilding 3.5, how would you do class skills?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:57:38 AM by bhu »

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
Re: 3.5 Rebuid Poll Part 34
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 09:40:44 PM »
Get rid of them entirely.  I hate class skills, so they do not exist in my games.  If it makes sense for your Fighter to have ranks in Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty (like, say, because he's a noble), then your Fighter has ranks in Knowledge: Nobility and Royalty at no penalty.  Any skills that makes sense, you can take without penalty, whether it's one skill unusual to the class or a dozen.

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »
Every class comes with a short list considered core to the class (so all Wizards have Knowledge (arcana), but not necessarily (religion)), plus a character background a la d20 modern, plus a couple chosen by the individual. Should give enough freedom to create characters while still keeping certain classes associated with each skill. Class list can vary at each level, while the other sources are permanent for that character, barring some sort of retraining mechanic. Going with a separate XP pool for skills or something like that, your class when you buy the skills is what determines what that list is. Not sure if that's a good idea, it seems wrong to make things dependent on when you do them. Maybe just give a background and some free choices, and have certain classes grant a bonus to one or two skills at each level?

Oh yeah, and boo to the half-max ranks cap. Get rid of that, just let class skills be a little more expensive. Twice as much is probably too much, unsure what to do about that. Maybe make class skills cost 2 and cross-class cost 3? Seems a little kludgy to me...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:47:07 PM by Bauglir »
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

vermithrx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 01:16:51 AM »
There are no class skills. Each class has a list of recommended skills and maybe one or two mandatory skills (spellcraft for wizards, etc.), but otherwise all skills function as though class skills.

Just because a given character fights a certain way is no reason to saddle it with a learning disability against anything not directly related to its combat style.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 03:27:48 AM »
There are some skills that everyone should have access to.  And by the same token, there are some skills that shouldn't be accessible to everyone.  Of course, some of this is on the fence, and I can see it going either way.  But I guess my take would be a group of skills everyone has access to easily, a group of additional ones based on class, and then a mechanic that lets you trade out skill for skill additional class skills.  So you've got spellcraft, listen, spot, hide, move silently, decipher script, craft (basket weaving), and profession (basket weaving) as class specific skills, and you could trade out listen and spot for craft (thresh for baskets) and profession (thresh maker), and that would be your new class skills list for that class.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 11:38:06 AM »
I'm fine with a classed system of having set skills, but I want it more flexible than it is in 3.5.  Basically, I don't want cross-classing to bone you so much, and I'd like feats to simply add skills to your list of class skills.  From a 3.5 perspective, picture Alertness as giving +2 to Listen and Spot, and adding both of them to your list of class skills no matter what level you take.  Picture giving everyone Able Learner, so once you've taken a single level of a class, its class skills are class skills for all of your levels thereafter.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »
I like Option 3.

3rd Edition is supposed to about customizing your character to your tastes and skills should be no different. For example not every paladin wants to be a mounted warrior so ride is useless to those paladins and I should be able to have knowledge (the planes) if my concept is more of a demon hunter.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »
I'm personally with a combination of 1 and 3. A list of set skills anyone of that class is proficient with, and a smaller number(1-2) of 'hobby skills' that fit your personal selections.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Pteryx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: 3.5 Rebuid Poll Part 34: Class SKills
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 05:36:31 AM »
I'm pretty much with veekie here -- keep things largely the same when it comes to class vs. cross-class, but also give a small number of "class skills by choice".  Maybe have those with (the equivalent of) 2 or 4 skill points/level would get one such pick, 6 skill points/level would get 2, and 8 skill points/level would get 3.  -- Pteryx