Author Topic: Half a CR?  (Read 2313 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Half a CR?
« on: November 14, 2009, 04:40:08 PM »
So I was looking over the death knight, and saw that there was a template that could be added to it. The CR is +3, and has to be added to a creature of at least 6 HD. This makes it CR 9. You then add this other template which allows it to summon skeletons equal to its HD. So, you could have nine skeleton warriors at 1 HD each, or you could have a skeleton chimera at 9 HD, etc. This increases the death knight's CR by 1/2. I'm serious about this. How does that work? Your creature is CR 9.5, but aren't they usually an even number?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Half a CR?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »
Well, just to name two, Goblins are CR 1/3, and Kobolds are CR 1/4 :)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »
Oh I know that, as skeleton warriors are also 1/3 and zombie commoners are 1/2, but I'm talking about at higher levels. It's rare that you see goblins and kobolds by themselves. They're usually in a group, which means it stacks. But how many higher level creatures do you see at CR 2 1/2 or CR 33 1/3?

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 05:37:30 PM »
Oh I know that, as skeleton warriors are also 1/3 and zombie commoners are 1/2, but I'm talking about at higher levels. It's rare that you see goblins and kobolds by themselves. They're usually in a group, which means it stacks. But how many higher level creatures do you see at CR 2 1/2 or CR 33 1/3?
I see your point :)

I can't think of any at the moment either.
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »
I see your point :)

I can't think of any at the moment either.
About the only thing I can think of, and this is really reaching, is for something like this http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20encountercalculator.htm

The creature is CR 9.5 and when you input an average group of four ECL 8, and one ECL 7, you get 8.5 for party level. But again, that's really reaching for an answer.

Levithix

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »
Or it could be that cr is a guideline rather then an exact science and the +1/2 cr is there to let dms know that the template raises the difficulty a little, but not by much.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 07:00:16 PM »
Or it could be that cr is a guideline rather then an exact science and the +1/2 cr is there to let dms know that the template raises the difficulty a little, but not by much.
i think that i agree with this.
additionally, if it comes out to be CR 9.5, then just take the average xp award between CR 9 and CR 10.   :shrug

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:51:52 PM »
I suppose so, yeah, but I'm also thinking of it in the same way that anyone with my DM would. That 1/2 a CR would be a full LA too. At least, that's how it would be seen. Not that I'm playing a death knight of anything (although with my luck I'll get killed by the one we're hunting down). It's just something that I wasn't sure about.

Levithix

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 09:30:04 PM »
Anything that doesn't have a written la wasn't designed to be taken by players anyway.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »
Anything that doesn't have a written la wasn't designed to be taken by players anyway.
True, but that doesn't mean it can't be. If a death knight has a written LA, then a template for said death knight should be allowed for the player as well.

Levithix

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »
Not always.