Author Topic: Non-standard D&D/Forgotten Realms Campaign - express interest  (Read 11948 times)

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Non-standard D&D/Forgotten Realms Campaign - express interest
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2008, 04:57:09 AM »
Well, how about the concept and sample scene about a week from today? That should give you enough time to see if you can either make your concept fit your build or vice versa. The build doesn't need to be complete.

PM me or post it at your discretion. Once I have a certain amount of entries I can then ask for the sub-forum so I can start posting some back-story. You'll then have at least another week to finalize your builds, maybe even a bit more.

Works for me.

Also, I reconsidered and decided not to go with a Warlock/Escalation Mage build and will probably go with a sneaky arcane caster (Beguiler) instead.
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
Still excepting aplicants? If so I'd love to play.

If you wan't to talk about LA I would urge using the system presented here under the section "converting monsters into characters" the first method give an example succubus (or incubus if you want to get termy) which is convenient because I'd like to play one. If you don't like that I'm open to suggestions for the LA on such a creature (I'd probably start with just racial HD).

You can still join, and thanks, I think I'll use some of that:

I like monsters to keep their characteristics. They should be neither over the top, nor suddenly be average down to look like humans. So what I'm going to do if someone wants to play a monster is this (modified if necessary on a case by case basis):

Take the monster's CR, add 1, or 2 if it's an extraordinarily awesome monster (like an Erinyes, which puts them out of range as starting characters right now): That's your starting monstrous HD and ECL. If this produces a very sub-standard monster because the monster gets really low CR for it's HD, then use Method 2 from the suggested system: Look at HD, CR and BAB and adjust the HD properties to give about the same BAB as the monster entry.
Take the Monster's stats, and either keep them as they are, or modify them by a NONELITE-array to more suit your desired class you'll add. Pay in mind that the lowest allowed stat is a 6. Int should ideally be at least 8, or I want to see the effects of stupidity in your roleplaying.
If your monster is chaotic evil, change that alignment to something that allows cooperative play.

Examples:
Succubus: ECL 9, 9 Outsider HD. (Might be cut down to 8, depending on how a final character looks.)
Troll: ECL 7, 7 Giant HD. I'm going with the giant HD here due to regeneration, which is really powerful in PC hands. But watch that int, ideally use Nonelite-array to increase Int.
Imp: ECL 3, 3 Outsider HD.
Quasit: ECL 3, 3 Outsider HD.
Ethergaunts are unfortunately out of reach at ECL 11 even for a red Ethergaunt.
Medusa: ECL 8, 8 Monstrous humanoid HD.
Young Red Dragon: ECL 9, 9 dragon HD. YES, I know dragons get iffy this way. Take the abilities of a young dragon, but modify numeric values as per the lower HD.
Juvenile Green Dragon: ECL 10.
Orthon Devil: ECL 10, 10 outsider HD.

I guess you know the drill by now. In all cases show me your stats with and without equipment.

Before anyone cries foul at this rule: Remember Polymorph is not forbidden (although I haven't gotten around to thinking about how to errata it). Pure physical stats are easily reproduced by polymorph.

Akula

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »
So the stats for a succubus reduce down to Str 11 Dex 11 Con 11 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 10 before racial modifiers. As I understand it I get what is basically a 15 point buy and then add the racial modifiers from the monster. Is that correct? For BAB I would get 9 HD and then make it a 3/4 BAB progression, that would keep BAB at 6 for either 8 or 9 HD. Does that sound good?

Thank you for your time.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 07:37:30 AM »
I guess non-elite array is like 15 pt point buy. But I'd like you to keep the distribution.

Also, look in the SRD what properties the monster type HD have.

Snizor

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2008, 05:54:28 PM »
How would the Mercantile Background feat (PGtF), specifically the ability to 1/month buy an item at 75% value, be handled in regards to starting equipment (unused, used once, used for some items, used for all items, etc.)?

Edit: Removed character sheet for the moment

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:45:56 PM by Snizor »
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2008, 08:49:17 PM »
How would the Mercantile Background feat (PGtF), specifically the ability to 1/month buy an item at 75% value, be handled in regards to starting equipment (unused, used once, used for some items, used for all items, etc.)?

BTW, here's my character so far (yes, I realize he doesn't have a name yet. Levels are not listed in order).

Hmmm... not so easy on mercantile background. I'd have to say realistically speaking you COULD have bought all non-consumptible items at 75%. However, there is also good reason to say you bought those items cheaper that won't stay with you (thereby minimising waste). Well, I'd say pick your three most expensive items and buy them at 75%. That seems like a fair compromise.

Other than that, the character looks fine. I can't (as of yet) say how well a beguiler will play out. I don't personally know the class very well (although I guess it depends on the spells you use). I do suppose at some point the number of save-buffs and immunities enemies will have will increase. So make sure to work towards some versatility. (I guess you know this already, just a heads up.)

Snizor

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2008, 09:05:36 PM »

BTW, here's my character so far (yes, I realize he doesn't have a name yet. Levels are not listed in order).

Hmmm... not so easy on mercantile background. I'd have to say realistically speaking you COULD have bought all non-consumptible items at 75%. However, there is also good reason to say you bought those items cheaper that won't stay with you (thereby minimising waste). Well, I'd say pick your three most expensive items and buy them at 75%. That seems like a fair compromise.

Works for me.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 12:15:01 PM »
I've started making my Polymorph errata. I'd like comments on it. I think polymorph is an integral part of D&D, I don't want to miss it. However, I also see the issues with it.

I've decided that perhaps an approach is best where all bonuses are enhancement bonuses. That way they won't stack with anything, especially not with spells that give fat enhancement bonuses like the Bite series. However, there might be other issues with this approach.
Can anyone alert me to aspects that could make this approach particularly broken?

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »
Still taking applications?

'Cuz if so - I apply!   :D

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 04:12:29 PM »
Sending a PM with my pertinent questions if you're still taking applicants.  This looks like a great chance to get some serious plot meatiness going :D

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2008, 09:31:33 PM »
Pan-Fried Hamster sent me an awesome character concept, even with history, and did everything right in not putting build before concept - because after all the build should be made to fit the concept. (Yeh I do recognize you CAN do it the other way around.) He gets an extra welcome.

Now there are a lot of running apps. I think I said until next friday to get me a concept. I do foresee some more dropouts, so I think it's fine to accept openly until then. (So, JanusJones, if you can make it until then, you'll be in, too.) However, everyone without a concept (and I don't mean a build, I mean a CHARACTER, something with a personality) by friday won't make it in. Remember I intend giving you a lot of freedom to make your character mechanically great so that you can fit the game mechanics around your concept.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2008, 03:59:32 PM »
Now that I'm fleshing out a build...

Does 8 +25 pt buy mean you cannot reduce a stat below 8, short of racial stat penalties?  That's how I read it, but I wanted to be sure.

I'm also debating what my character's ECL should be.  I can take one of two approaches: he's relatively fresh out of soldiering and new to the adventuring scene, about ECL 4-5, or he's had a few adventures and is closer to ECL 8-9.  Either one could work, I just don't want him to be a liability to whichever group he ends up hanging with (nor do I want him to overshadow people).

Given he's an elf, it doesn't seem like the age would have a massive impact.  He IS supposed to be fairly young, though.

EDIT: More or less done, pending fine tuning.  He's ECL 6, which seems like a good compromise between survivability/usefulness, and keeping from forcing every player to push for max just to be effective.  How do we treat Wizard spells?  Assume the standard 100 gp cost per level beyond the basic starting spells, and infinite time to scribe?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 10:48:25 PM by Pan-Fried Hamster »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »
Well, I'd like to have it so that the characters haven't done much adventuring before. I guess in P-F-H's case he can have been wandering for a bit, but maybe he settled down somewhere for a while. And the campaign will start from there. I also think getting the XP for ECL6 from "age" is no problem for an elf.

What I'd also like everyone (that is, the GOOD or neutral PCs) to think about is what kind of place you all want to come from. Not THE place, just what kind of town or other place, and what your role or job was there. You must have some sort of job, or else you can't explain where your starting cash comes from. (Yeh, I guess inherited would work.) I'd also like everyone to create a few minor NPCs whom you know and can interact with in your starting town.

It's sort of important not to just throw everyone into the starting scene together, so everyone will get his own starting scene. Some of you may be in the same place, and then meet, but likely as not it won't be everyone.

The only condition I have on your home-towns is that they should not be too large. I envision smallish towns to largish villages, although a character with high natural mobility (fast flight or teleport) AND good access to information could start in a larger town. And of course some might not wish to start in a town, in which case any sort of settlement or even the empty wilderness will work - except it'll take longer to meet up some other players.

For evil PCs I'd like to confer via PM a bit. If noone wants to be evil that would be a bit sad, but I guess I can cope.

AvalonŽ

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2008, 01:32:33 PM »
Brainpiercing, how about a straight binder?

Btw, we're allowed to use stuff from the site right?

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2008, 02:14:02 PM »
Brainpiercing, how about a straight binder?

Btw, we're allowed to use stuff from the site right?
Site is fine, but please proved links if you have them handy. (I CAN google, too.)

If you can give a personality to the mechanics of the binder, sure, why not? Binders are really not easy to build, but if you can pull it off, more credit to you.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »
As a wanderer, my character likely spends a brief period in the smaller towns that he comes to, in order to take the opportunity to have hot food, a bed to sleep in, and other civilized comforts.  When necessary, he makes a bit of coin practicing his trade in assisting the town apothecary [Craft: Alchemy] or taking odd jobs around town.

Curious folk find that he doesn't talk much, but when pressed, he seems to know a little about a lot [Knowledge skills].  The persistent may find their efforts rewarded with an odd tale or two.  As a whole, though, his comings and goings go largely unremarked.

Tynien is currently assisting Apprentice Quintin Preast, who has been hastily-trained to take over his Master's business as the latter prepares to move to a larger settlement in hopes of better business.  Quintin is a former farmboy, but he's quick to learn, easy enough to get along with, and has a knack for sizing up a good deal.  Of course, his being named "Preast" has proven slightly confusing to many of the locals...

JanusJones

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
I am going to be evil.   :smirk

I have a concept I've been dying to try out.  It's not uber-awesome-super-dooper-perfect, but it's a fascinating, FUN little concept that I think will improve play.  SO looking forward to it!

Have a couple other ideas as well.  Debating on them.  MANY fun concepts to play with - the rules here are pretty much EXACTLY what I would run, had I the gumption.  Very fond of the setup.

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2008, 07:21:39 PM »
Might I suggest opening up a game-specific subforum for build chatter, OOC discussion, and the like?  That way we can keep the recruitment thread to its primary purpose.

Akula

• Email
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2008, 07:58:27 PM »
Well there shouldn't be to much more recruiting, we're getting close to the deadline.  :-\ Which reminds me that I really have to get on background and build. What kind of creative writing do you want anyway? Should it be DnD like with stats and everything? Should it be fantasy or is something else OK?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:01:31 PM by Akula »

Pan-Fried Hamster

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2008, 02:29:44 AM »
There's an example in the first post.  I do it like I'm writing a book, and put rolls and mechanics in square brackets.

"Your father was a hamster and your mother smelled of elderberries!" [Diplomacy 1d20+0 = 2]