Author Topic: Pathfinder Swashbuckler Help  (Read 11843 times)

winter_soldier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Pathfinder Swashbuckler Help
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:14:30 PM »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Pathfinder Swashbuckler Help
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:20:06 PM »
...they turned it into a rogue? Get as many attacks/round as you can, and a way to ensure applying the thrust damage. Weapon Spec doesn't seem worth it at all.

winter_soldier

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:27:47 PM »
...they turned it into a rogue? Get as many attacks/round as you can, and a way to ensure applying the thrust damage. Weapon Spec doesn't seem worth it at all.

That's what I was leaning towards, especially with the character (primarily) wielding two different weapons. I think I'm going to make sure he has Vexing and Adaptable Flanker ASAP, etc.

I do like that the need for INT is pretty much gone. As far as attributes, I rolled (fairly well), so he has:

STR 14
DEX 19
CON 17
INT 13
WIS 13
CHA 13

winter_soldier

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »
"I think I'm going to make sure he has Vexing and Adaptable Flanker ASAP, etc."

Or is that a trap? On one hand, it makes some sense for a crazy-high DEX character like mine to take Combat Reflexes (which is a prereq for AF & VF), but since he's not wielding reach weapons, I'm not so sure.

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:53:51 PM »
Could you enlighten the group an tell us how fast your Thrust damage increases, if it's too little to slowly TWF may not be worth it.

winter_soldier

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
It's around every 3 levels, it caps at +7d6 at level 20.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:52:54 PM »
Oh, and take a look at the PF version of the Duelist PrC - its now a solid PrC, and fits flavor-wise with the swashbuckler

djibril

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 08:27:39 AM »
Hi all

Got almost all manuals and still i missed this one class, wich i find very intriguing

One question thou...

How does the Mark-thing works again?

I can see you get an improved mark at 16lv but at what level does one get the find the mark in first place?

- No matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doin' it! -

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 01:55:33 PM »
Find the Mark (Ex): At 8th level, the swashbuckler
increases his threat range by one when using any
melee weapon with which he has Weapon Finesse.
A weapon that would threaten a critical on 20 would
now do so on a 19 or 20, and one which threatens
on a 19 or 20 would now do so on an 18 to 20.
This ability works with other abilities which increase
threat ranges.

So basically, if you had a rapier (18-20), it would become 15-20, and if you had a keen rapier or the improved critical feat, it would become 12-20, and then with improved find the mark at 16th level, it would become a 9-20 crit range. 

winter_soldier

• Email
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 02:32:13 PM »
Find the Mark (Ex): At 8th level, the swashbuckler
increases his threat range by one when using any
melee weapon with which he has Weapon Finesse.
A weapon that would threaten a critical on 20 would
now do so on a 19 or 20, and one which threatens
on a 19 or 20 would now do so on an 18 to 20.
This ability works with other abilities which increase
threat ranges.

So basically, if you had a rapier (18-20), it would become 15-20, and if you had a keen rapier or the improved critical feat, it would become 12-20, and then with improved find the mark at 16th level, it would become a 9-20 crit range. 

Not quite. A rapier (18-20) would become 17-20 with Find The Mark, and 16-20 with Improved Find The Mark. A rapier that is keen or with the Improved Critical feat (15-20), would be 14-20 with Find the Mark, and 13-20 with the Improved version of that.

winter_soldier

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 02:37:18 PM »
At any rate, my DM is going to look at it. I'm hoping that he oks Daring Warrior adapted for Pathfinder allowing for Evade and Thrust....if that's the case, I would be able to get two extra feats (even counting the investment of Daring Warrior, if I added it up correctly), armor training and bravery with a 4 level dip into Fighter. I came to the inevitable conclusion that Focus/Specialization would be far less valuable for the character than the Vital Strike tree, which would slightly compensate for the times at which he couldn't full-attack.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 10:17:52 PM »
Thanks for correcting my math there - I assumed that Find the Mark improved critical range like most 3.5 abilities :P

Best of luck with the game!

djibril

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 06:56:57 AM »
Thanks for the help

See i have a rougue 4 /swashbuckler 3 /shadowdancer 3, 2 weapon combat style (weapon finessed +1 keen rapier and weapon finessed +1 dagger), improved faint and combat reflexes , so that i get to sneak attack a lot during melee with a succesfull bluff check

It's kinda cool to add the thrust to the sneak attack damage so i don't think i'll need the daring outlaw feat no more

would have loved to adapt it to pathfinder rules but can't find the Tome of Secrets, hence heres another question, how does the evade AC bonus works?

I assume it increases with level but, at what rate?

- No matter if you win or lose, as long as you look really cool doin' it! -

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »
See i have a rougue 4 /swashbuckler 3 /shadowdancer 3, 2 weapon combat style (weapon finessed +1 keen rapier and weapon finessed +1 dagger), improved faint and combat reflexes , so that i get to sneak attack a lot during melee with a succesfull bluff check

I was looking into something like this yesterday, but doesn't feinting only work on the next melee attack?  So, it kind of kills the idea of using it b/c you can't churn out the number of attacks necessary for sneak attack to rock.  Is there a part of the feat or something (perhaps a PF change) that I'm missing? 

That led me to a variation based on Imperious Command and the Drow Fighter ACF, which could be kind of thematic. 

winter_soldier

• Email
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 02:18:47 PM »

I was looking into something like this yesterday, but doesn't feinting only work on the next melee attack?  So, it kind of kills the idea of using it b/c you can't churn out the number of attacks necessary for sneak attack to rock.  Is there a part of the feat or something (perhaps a PF change) that I'm missing? 

That led me to a variation based on Imperious Command and the Drow Fighter ACF, which could be kind of thematic. 

I'm somewhat skeptical of Combat Reflexes's real usefulness for characters without reach weapons.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 02:21:36 PM »
"I think I'm going to make sure he has Vexing and Adaptable Flanker ASAP, etc."

Or is that a trap? On one hand, it makes some sense for a crazy-high DEX character like mine to take Combat Reflexes (which is a prereq for AF & VF), but since he's not wielding reach weapons, I'm not so sure.
Is any Tome of Battle material allowed in this game?  If so, you might conisder taking the Island of Blades stance with martial study which is pretty similar to Adaptive Flanker.  This also sets you up to take Shadow Blade to get +Dex to damage if you use certain weapons (such as the dagger or shortsword).
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »
Does Daring Outlaw allow Sneak Attack progression on Swashbucklers or is it only Grace progression on rogues? If the first one, take that! Double up on that (effective) Sneak Attack!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 04:32:21 PM »
It's both.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 04:37:43 PM »
then I strongly suggest a level or two in rogue and take Daring Outlaw. :)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »
The prereqs require +2d6 Sneak Attack and Grace +1, so you'd either need 3 levels of rogue, or some other way to get the two dice.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]