Author Topic: Level 18 Character, anything allowed...  (Read 2029 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Level 18 Character, anything allowed...
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:21:09 AM »
Other than a self-imposed restriction on Planar Sheppard, because even I think they're borked.  With these many levels to work with, I tend to set my expectations on capabilities pretty high, and for this exercise, having 9th level spells from at least the cleric and wizard list is IMO manditory, with psionics and the druid list being nice additions if possible, and natural BAB 16 or close to it (by 20th) also being a plus.  Initial temptation was Cheater of Mystra, but they don't have full access to the raw might of the wizard list, and same thing goes for TBoS (even though either build is virtually indestructible, and I don't wanna make the group cry when I actually stop lazing around and lay down the smack for a combat).  Wild Reaper came to mind, but that would require being a DW Kobold to snag another list or two.  Ur-Priest and Sublime Chord came to mind as well, especially as I can snag arcanes and divines with UP, but CL would blow ass, and without using UM, same with SC.  Now, with full psionic conversion, an erudite/slayer/psijurant champion would have access to every one of these spell lists, the full gamut of powers, and via arcane swordsage potentially every maneuver as well, manifesting everything as level-appropriate powers.  At 18, only 1 lost CL, only two feats needed for entry, and depending on how I shuffle it, possibly full Slayer (at least Slayer 6, and preferably 9).  Any thoughts on this?  Unfortunately Erudite can't get in by itself until 8th, which is IMO too long.  Is Sanctified Mind or something similar easier to get into without losing a ton of ML?  If I can find something to get into Slayer by level 7, that would be golden, even if it requires early access.

Now here's an idea...psionic conversion of Incantatrix, as I've mentioned before, coupled with Dominant Ideal.  It'd take until level 20, but that's 4 free metapsionic feats, metapsionic effect (12pp for persistent power, yay!), no lost ML, same access as before, telepathy without Shedu Crown or Mindbender (since Erudite is a variant Psion, and can still take Psion ACF's, and I'll have every telepathy power anyhow), full recharge, and due to the different nature of Metamorphosis, IIRC you still get bonus hp when your con changes, so I guess Metamorphic Transfer is a shoe-in also.  So :
Erudite 10/Psicantatrix 8 - Iron Will will be bought, two metapsionic feats will be a joke, Metamorphic Transfer, Psicrystal Containment, Mindsight, Overchannel, Linked Power, and there's where I run out of ideas :P  Extend and Persist seem natural add ons, maybe Quicken Power to add to the action abuse for four powers out in two rounds with one round's action?  Oh, and definitely playing as a Kalashtar with this one.  So extra feat ideas would rock (the hard-wired ones, incedental ones, like the entire fighter list, will be mirror move-ed and psy-reffed in as needed), as would any means at all of boosting ML with gear, and boosting PP is always nice.  Thanks for reading another classic Kell text bomb!
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Level 18 Character, anything allowed...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:14:14 PM »
Problem with Gish from Erudite side of things, is keeping the Erudite side up, relative to the PrC, to keep the 2 powers per level.
Erudite + PrC = later use of the PrC goodies than an equivalent Psion.
Problem solved by being the Discipline Erudite version in Mind's Eye.
Pick "psychokinesis powers are equivalent to powers of the evocation school"
and the Chameleon Crafting feat from Dragon #349.
Have the party/available Cleric cast 1 Divine Power spell into a Powerstone via the CC feat, priced as normal.
Then you learn it ... at level 7 just like Clerics do (minus 1 encounter for the minimal exp).
Viola, you are now a Gish.
Elemental Envoy holds up the slack until then.
And Miracle is an Evocation.
Isn't that enough ?!
{ ... insert fan the heat away smiley face ... }

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 08:25:18 PM »
Hmm...so in other words, Spell to Power without using the ACF?  I know taking Mantled Erudite and then PsyReffing or PsyChiring can get every power, but couldn't this work with every spell ever, if you have access to say a Wizard/Archivist?
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Wings of Peace

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:45 PM »
Spellcasting/Ardent/Subverted Psion/Tainted Sorcerer/ combo followed by Theurging Wizard with Ur-Priest and taking Academic Priest perhaps (I'm AFB right now but it seems doable)?  Cause Taint is way more fair than Planar Shepard  :D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:23:31 PM by Wings of Peace »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
Spellcasting/Ardent/Subverted Psion/Tainted Sorcerer/ combo followed by Theurging Wizard with Ur-Priest and taking Academic Priest perhaps (I'm AFB right now but it seems doable)?  Cause Taint is way more fair than Planar Shepard  :D

Oh hell...in other words a triple caster with a CL/CL/ML of omgwtfbbq pwnz0rez?  That just screams hellbred...I wonder how high the table goes for bonus PP :)
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Wings of Peace

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:45:35 PM »
How liberal is the dm?  Because if it's ruled that you can count Tainted Casting for your Ur-Priest spells as well then I'm not sure you need Academic Priest.  If you want to stack on extra cheese instead of straight wizard levels try for enough Halruuan Elder to get two signature spells or just spend the feats on them and see if you can count that as the ability to cast spell"s" spontaneously for Versatile Spellcaster qualification.  With all those bonus slots from maxed out Taint it's not like you can't afford the extra slot cost when you want it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:49:02 PM by Wings of Peace »

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
How liberal is the dm?  Because if it's ruled that you can count Tainted Casting for your Ur-Priest spells as well then I'm not sure you need Academic Priest.  If you want to stack on extra cheese instead of straight wizard levels try for enough Halruuan Elder to get two signature spells or just spend the feats on them and see if you can count that as the ability to cast spell"s" spontaneously for Versatile Spellcaster qualification.  With all those bonus slots from maxed out Taint it's not like you can't afford the extra slot cost when you want it.

Hmm...well, there's a vast majority of Wizard spells available to clerics IIRC right?  That'd be nasty if it was all based on one progression.  Also, I've entertained the notion of using Wild Reaper to emulate a D2 druid (thanks to Alastar for the inspiration with his Tornado at lvl 9).  I'll edit the skill list into this post and see how we can emulate each skill.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Wings of Peace

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 04:02:54 AM »
Improvisation could take care of most skill check needs.  Especially if Persisted or made Contingent.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 05:13:03 AM by Wings of Peace »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »
Hmm...so in other words, Spell to Power without using the ACF?  I know taking Mantled Erudite and then PsyReffing or PsyChiring can get every power, but couldn't this work with every spell ever, if you have access to say a Wizard/Archivist?
The S2P option, and the Mantled option, have a misbegotten ugly step-sister ...
from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a

Favored Discipline
Unlike most erudites, you have a discipline that you favor above all others.

Replaces: You lose your 1st-level bonus feat.

Benefit: You choose a single discipline and all powers of that discipline, no matter what class list they are on, are considered general psion/wilder powers for purposes of learning.

But because it uses the word "discipline" , you have to use the Chameleon Crafting feat , to get the goodies over from the Divines and Arcanes. And you are down the feat. I tagged this to myself because the DMM Cleric set-ups use Divine Power, and a Psi- version doesn't need all the feat/features infrastructure to just manifest it again. Gish plain and simple, with weird psionic goodies. Sure S2P has more spell loopyness, and the Mantled PsyRef looping has more psionic fun, but the Discipline version can get some limited Divine spells over ... kinda a limited Spell Point Archivist.
I suppose a 1 level dip in a combat-ish class like Fighter or PsyWar, would be a good idea.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 07:05:30 PM »
Something else that came to mind...Mantled Erudite combined with the mantle swapping ACF technically means anything that can become a power can be in a mantle.  Given a long enough time frame and proper mitigation (read : psionic tattoos), a mantled erudite could learn every spell and power that way, and then pick up the Dominant Ideal ACF (last part semi-fiat, though if variant stacking is allowed, no reason this wouldn't be) at level 10.  Imagine THAT with a psicantatrix (which I believe I posted above as well), given that they're basically getting the psionic equivelant of Improved Metamagic twice to every power they manifest.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!