Author Topic: Martial Swiftblade brainstorming...  (Read 2303 times)

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Martial Swiftblade brainstorming...
« on: November 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM »
I've got a bit of an itch to try and put together a decent Martial (TOB) Swiftblade for some Gishy fun which at higher levels leads to more fun with multiple standard actions as spells or maneuvers.

The problem seems to be that the combo is likely to eat up a LOT of CL if you really want to have any range of Maneuvers. 

As I am putting this together I am mostly looking at low to mid levels and wanting it to be as decent as possible at all levels of play.

I'm also the type that just loves his skill monkeys so I may start with trying to use Beguiler base though that is not critical to this building exercise.  Actually probably will end up doing several versions as other caster bases would lend to more self buffing fun and flexibility.

We don't play with flaws so that is out in my designs.  I may build in such a way that gives up more CL for cheap feat grabs ala things like 2 levels of Monk variant for Dodge/Mobility and other goodies.  This of course would gut CL and Spell Power acquisition but would likely lend itself to an playable/enjoyable character.

I also realize that already in this brainstorming I have mentioned several directions which competes for levels and thus making it more difficult to effectively combine Swiftblade and Martial abilities in poarticular becuase the more stuff outside minimum necessary Swiftblade entry I do will stunt Swiftblade progression...

Caster Bases considered for now
Beguiler 6
Wizard 5 (Probably actually the best in meshing with taking a martial level)

Then, Arcane Strike feat (CW) or Level(s) in Jade Phoenix mage for Arcane Wrath.... for melee goodness Arcane Wrath just might be worth the caster loss?????

Lets See... I need Dodge and Mobility.

Beguiler Base Progession
  • 1) Beguiler--- Dodge
    2) Beguiler---
    3) Beguiler--- Mobility
    4) Beguiler---
    5) Beguiler---
    6) Beguiler--- Feat
    7) Swiftblade---
    8) Swiftblade---
    9) Warblade--- Arcane Strike (also 5IL for 3rd level maneuvers)
    10) Swiftblade--- (yay Blurred Alacrity)
  • Caster level 8, 4th level spells

Wizard Base Progession
  • 1) Wizard--- Dodge (could trade out Scribe too)
    2) Wizard---
    3) Wizard--- Mobility
    4) Wizard---
    5) Wizard---
    6) Warblade--- Feat (IL4, 2nd level Maneuvers..Emerald Razor)
    7) Swiftblade--- No Caster Level
    8) Swiftblade---
    9) Swiftblade--- Arcane Strike (yay Blurred Alacrity)
    10) Swiftblade--- No Caster Level
  • Caster Level 7, 4th level spells

So with those two versions end up with 4th level spells.  Beguiler has higher Maneuvers and more spells but Wizard has more flexibility and further along the Swiftblade path.

Okay, enough for now.  Lunch time.  Any feedback and ideas appreciated even if not totally in line with what I have above.

Placeholder - T'tosc

DerWille

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Re: Martial Swiftblade brainstorming...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »
I like the Wizard base, it seems to do most of what you want. What I would recommend is that instead of being a normal wizard, you specialize in transmutation. How do you feel about this instead?

Human
Warblade 1/Focused Transmuter 5/Swiftblade 4

Feats:
1) Dodge, Power Attack
2) Improved Initiative
3) Mobility
6) Improved Sunder/Improved Bullrush
9) Combat Brute/Shock Trooper
(I can't decide which would be better for a gish, if either)

The idea behind this build is to take advantage of Haste's extra attack to get a pseudo-pounce with haste. Shock Trooper would be more likely to hit, but Combat Brute really lets you take advantage of a powerful full attack. You can also focus on various buff spells like Enlarge Person, Mirror Image, and True Strike to set up your charges. So you could drain all of your BAB away but still have truestrike on to make sure it hits. However the disadvantage is that you trade more powerful maneuvers for early game power.

For my three maneuvers I'd probably go with Punishing Stance, Steely Strike, and Sapphire Nightmare Blade.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:24:00 PM by DerWille »

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »
There's a variant wizard (In UA, I think?) that lets you exchange your free bonus metamagic feats for fighter feats.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 06:27:35 PM »
Shadow pouncing swiftblade?

Build up to telflammar by going:

Rogue 3\swashbuckler3\swordsage 2\Fighter 2\Telflammar 4 (they give haste)\swiftblade 6  Afb for now, but something could be done there i'm sure.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 07:34:53 PM »
Maybe a Dark Feytouched Whisper Gnome (or other), Beguiler that goes into Swiftblade (or even pure Beguiler).

Would certainly be flavorful and fun.  The +2 LA would not be too horrible so long as we are using LA Buyoff and would get a lot in return.

Stats would end up as: -2 STR, +4 Dex (not great but not horrible)

Goodies
  • +18 Hide (including Size bonus), +12 Move Silently
    (EX) Hide in Plain Sight !!! (early enough to be fun and useful)
    +2 Spot/Listen
    Dark Vision
    Superior Low Light Vision
    +10 Speed (40ft)
    Immunity to Mind Effects!!!
    Cold Resist 10
    Plus the Goblinoid/Giant fighting bonuses

Spell Likes
  • Silence, Ghost Sound, Mage hand, Message, Charm Person 1/d

And lets not forget access to Shadowcraft if the fancy struck :)

The LA would sting a bit in regards to casting but with my particular gaming group it wouldn't be a huge penalty.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:06:09 PM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc