Author Topic: Help with a Bard//Artificer Build  (Read 1991 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Help with a Bard//Artificer Build
« on: November 07, 2009, 12:17:26 AM »
Okay, so I'm making a gestalt character at level 1 (changeling bard//artificer) for another player, potentially going into sublime chord 1 and some other casting PrC later on, and I've never built either a bard OR an artificer before.

He basically wants to be the ultimate support character, making everyone else better (while making it obvious that he's pulling quite a lot of the load through aforesaid support).

He has the following stat array: 18 18 16 14 12 10, can take up to 2 flaws, and I have access to the Core 3, Eberron CS, PHB 2, DMG 2, the Completes, Dragon Magic, Races of the Dragon, the XPH, the Draconomicon, and Libris Mortis.

What feats would be most useful from 1 to 20? Especially at level 1.

Also, we have a positive energy evolved undead necropolitan kobold psion//factotum (me!), a human pouncing barbarian//martial rogue, and a human wizard beguiler//druid (maybe wizard; some arcane spellcasting class, anyway).
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Re: Help with a Bard//Artificer Build
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 02:47:21 AM »
Feats that reduce crafting costs, probably.  He can snag Song of the heart at 6 without needing to blow a feat.

Paradox

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:16:11 AM »
The only real synergy in a bard/artificer that I see is the bard's spell list (which is why you should look at the bard handbook and choose the ACF that expand the spell list) and the CHA SAD.  Considering the pure awesome that is an artificer you should be able to have an above average perform check, but besides bardic music I can't remember any other abilities that are based on perform. I know they are out there, I just cant remember them. 

I know that there are a lot of bard related doohickies in MIC. I know that's not on your list, but check your books and see if you have any bard related items you can craft.  But other than that.

For feats, I feel there are two viable ways you can go.  You can either be the party face, in which case it's self explanitory from there. Or you can go the buffificer way. The problem with that is bardic music  takes a standard per round to use.  Get Lingering Song and activate it on the first round and then proceed to buff.  Combined with Melodic Casting, you should have an efficiency of economy.

Now that I think about it, you could combine diplomonster and buffificer easily.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 03:29:34 AM »
The only real synergy in a bard/artificer that I see is the bard's spell list

The ability to craft custom items based on the bard list is pretty awesome.  Hmn, can he take racial emulation to get the Half-Elf Bard ACF?  Cuz that plus a custom crafted item of continuous harmonize could be pretty darned mean.  Move action bardic music, then standard action spell on each round.  Put up IC in round one, and then spam the calming song in the next 4.