Author Topic: The Swiftblade Handbook  (Read 79759 times)

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: The Swiftblade Handbook
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2010, 04:16:32 PM »
Was using the epic feat Blinding Speed to qualify mentioned?

How? Using Dragonwrought sheneanigans to get acces t epic-feats pre-epic? as 25 Dex is not difficult to get... let say 18 pre racial+2 (Kobold) +5 tome (or wish)

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2011, 06:28:17 PM »
An old build I made where we assumes that the Chameleon's casting of haste can meet the special prereq of the swiftblade.  (It may be that planar touchstone (catalogues of enlightenment (time domain ) ) ) would also function...

Human Dark Creature with LA buyoff (or full-day Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis instead of Dark Creature Template)

Classes:
Feat Rogue 2/Cobra Strike Monk 2/Human Paragon 3/Chameleon 2/Swiftblade 9/Fighter 2

Alternative Class Features:

Spell Reflexion instead of evasion for Monk
2 Fighter Feats instead of sneak attack for Rogue

Total Feats:
7 (levels) +2 (feat rogue) +1 (human Paragon) +2 (fighter) + 1 floating (chameleon) + Dodge (Monk) + Mobility (Monk) + Spring Attack (Swiftblade) + Bounding Assault (Swiftblade)

Feat Choices:
  • Skillmonkey:

• Able Learner
  • Dark Stalker

• Defensive:

• Combat Expertise (w/ other free feats) => Word Given Form (p218, ToM)
  • Karmic Strike
  • Sidestep
  • Combat Reflexes

• Offensive:

• Shot on the run
  • Woodland Archer
  • Point Blank Shot
  • Rapid Shot
  • Many Shot
  • Greater Many Shot

• 1 floating feat from Chameleon

Perks:

Very Effective Archer: BAB = 16. Takes a standard action to attack, gets 4 attacks from Greater manyshot, Can move before and after from Shot on the run, and can do it while hiding from Woodland Archer. Also has full access to all of the ranger spells.

Amazing with Hide: Can hide extremely effectively with Darkstalker, Word Without Form for Total Concealment from 1 opponent, and Hide in Plain Sight and hide bonuses from Dark Creature Template

Great Skill Access: Has full skill access from Rogue + Human Paragon, many skill points from the focus on intelligence, has these skills as class skills forever from Able Learner. Trapfinding.

Very Strong Defensively: Has a 50% miss chance vs. all, and if missed with spells, then the spells rebound via Spell Reflexion. Evasion. Total concealment vs. opponent who is the target of a dodge bonus. Can use Karmic Strike and Sidestep to attack in response to attacks as well as avoid full attacks.
Strong and Flexible Caster: Casting = Chameleon 10 for arcane casting => 20 CL, Any 6th level arcane spell.
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2011, 06:32:05 PM »
Chameleon Aptitude Focus cannot be used to meet prerequisites.  No go.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2011, 06:42:38 PM »
*shrugs.  Perhaps planar touchstone, or a 1 level dip in trapsmith.

But regardless, the main point is that swiftblade to advance chameleon spellcasting = win.

Also, that you can use all of these other unallocated levels (9 or 10 swiftblade, 2 chameleon, possibly 1 trapsmith leaves 7-9 class levels over for high-return dipping).

Best,
David
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 06:44:23 PM by DavidWL »
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2011, 07:18:29 PM »
Chameleon lacks any Spellcasting to advance, though.  It has the Aptitude Class feature which grants spellcasting sometimes, but it doesn't actually have spellcasting ability.  The PrC actually showed a lot more forethought than most material.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

bananaphone

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • ring ring ring ring ring ring ring...
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2011, 11:28:13 AM »
A psionic version of the Swiftblade combined with Ardent could be a potent combination.  It would require some skill requirement changes, as well as a psionic version of Haste.  However with the way Ardent power progression works and the Practised Manifester feat, you would easily end up with 9th level powers before level 20.
Throw Sanctified Mind/Slayer into the mix and you would have a +16 or better BAB as well.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2011, 11:32:46 AM »
I don't think you need Sanctified Mind or Slayer for 16+ Bab, as Ardent has 3/4 Bab.  a Ardent 10/Psionic Swiftblade 10 gets 17 Bab and can select Dominant Mantle... though I would prefer going a few levels of Slayer for the increase Skill points.

bananaphone

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2011, 11:47:43 AM »
I don't think you need Sanctified Mind or Slayer for 16+ Bab, as Ardent has 3/4 Bab.  a Ardent 10/Psionic Swiftblade 10 gets 17 Bab and can select Dominant Mantle... though I would prefer going a few levels of Slayer for the increase Skill points.
Aha, you're right!  I don't know why I thought it was poor BAB progression.  This works even better then!

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2011, 11:51:01 AM »
The Swiftclaw PrC is just that, a Psionic Swiftblade. As written, it's even better, by quite a bit.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »
The only problem with a psionic swiftblade is that Temporal Acceleration essentially makes the the capstone useless.

@:CantripN where can I find the Swiftclaw? Never heard of it.

bananaphone

« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2011, 12:11:04 PM »
The only problem with a psionic swiftblade is that Temporal Acceleration essentially makes the the capstone useless.

@:CantripN where can I find the Swiftclaw? Never heard of it.
Yes, Temporal Acceleration's augment options are almost the same as how the Swiftblade's Time Stop works.  Temporal Acceleration would not be on everyone's power list though, so the capstone could just add that power to your list and remove the Shaken condition portion of the power when a Swiftblade uses it I suppose.
To be honest, the build I wrote up broke off at Swiftblade-9.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:13:57 PM by bananaphone »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email

Faithless tbe Wonder Boy

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2011, 11:26:10 PM »
Just wanted to make sure people know that the Ruathar prestige class grants martial weapon proficiency and can be taken at level 6.  Wizard 5/Ruathar 1/Swiftblade X means you don't need to worry about wasting a feat as a non-elf.

Only problem is that Wizard 5/Ruathar 1 doesn't have the requisite +3 BAB, so you'd need to bump entry back by a level...

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2011, 11:38:46 PM »
Just wanted to make sure people know that the Ruathar prestige class grants martial weapon proficiency and can be taken at level 6.  Wizard 5/Ruathar 1/Swiftblade X means you don't need to worry about wasting a feat as a non-elf.

Only problem is that Wizard 5/Ruathar 1 doesn't have the requisite +3 BAB, so you'd need to bump entry back by a level...

It would work with fractional BAB though (which everyone should use anyway).
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2011, 07:03:37 PM »
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Dusk Eclipse

• Email

BenTheJester

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2011, 02:30:39 AM »
While Duskblades aren't natural qualifiers, their Arcane Strike ability works wonderfully with Swiftblade.

I did not use Drake Helm, Knowstones, or other cheesy ways to get spells on your spell list. They might be subpar to your usual builds, but I tried one and found it quite fun.

Note: By RAW, you can't use spring attack with channeling, but if your DM let's you do it, this build becomes awesome

Duskblade 3/Wizard 4/Abjurant Champion 1/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 2

Snow Elf(+2 Dex, -2 Cha) or Fire Elf(+2 Dex, +2 Int, -2 Con, -2 Cha)

Base abilities(32pts):
Str 14
Dex 14 (you can swap this with int if you want)
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 10
Cha 10

Feats
1 Power Attack
B Combat Casting
3 Knowledge Devotion
B Expeditious Dodge
6 Mobility
9 Elven Spell Lore/Spell Mastery(if you intend to take Signature Spell)
B Spring Attack
12 Arcane Strike
15 Practised Spellcaster/Signature Spell[Haste]Forgotten Realms
B Bounding Assault
18 Flyby Attack/Versatile Spellcaster

Alternative Class Features
-Generalist Wizard: Can't specialize, 1 more spell/day of highest level. At 3rd level, double your familiar's bonus.(giving +8 initiative with your Hummingbird familiar)
-Combat Wizard: Trade Scribe Scroll for a Fighter Feat

Notable Features, etc
-18 BAB
-Casts as a level 13 Wizard(gets access to 7th level spells)
-Arcane Channeling

-+2 Attack, Dodge AC and Reflex Saves
-+20ft movement
-+1d6 damage if you move 10-20ft in a round, +2d6 if you move 20ft or more
-Individually targeted spells, Melee and Ranged attacks have a 50% miss chance against you. All the time. Yes even in an Antimagic Field
-Cast haste as a free action.
-+int to initiative
-2 standard action per round.
-Time Stop as a 6th or 7th level slot

Variant 1: Human
[spoiler]
Duskblade 3/Necromancer 4/Abjurant Champion 1/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 2
(Necromancer for more castings of Vampiric Touch, Night's Caress and Bestow Curse, although I guess Transmuter could work too)
Forbidden schools: Illusion and Enchantment

Human

Feats
H Expeditious Dodge
1 Power Attack
B Combat Casting
3 Knowledge Devotion
B Mobility
6 Practised Spellcaster/Spell Mastery(if you intend to take Signature Spell)
9 Elven Spell Lore
B Spring Attack
12 Arcane Strike
15 Versatile Spellcaster/Signature Spell[Haste]
B Bounding Assault
18 Flyby Attack/Practiced Spellcaster

-Combat Wizard: Trade Scribe Scroll for a Fighter Feat
-Trade familiar for Abrupt Jump

What's different?
More Necromancy Spells/day
Bonus Feat
Bonus Skills

No stat bonus
No familiar bonus
[/spoiler]

Variant 2: Kobold Sorcerer
[spoiler]
Duskblade 3/Sorcerer 4/Abjurant Champion 1/Swiftblade 10/Abjurant Champion 2

Dragonwrought Arctic Kobold(+2 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con, -2 Wis)  (Dragonwrought is taken for +3 Int/Wis/Cha(hence the odd scores) that come from being Venerable)

Base abilities(32pts):
Str 16
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 9
Wis 9
Cha 15

Feats
1 Dragonwrought
B Combat Casting
3 Expeditious Dodge
6 Mobility
9 Draconic Reservoir
B Spring Attack
12 Arcane Strike/Knowledge Devotion
15 Versatile Spellcaster
B Bounding Assault
18 Flyby Attack/Practised Spellcaster

You have to do the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage, which effectively gives you +1 sorcerer level for free(no LA or anything)

What's different?
Way more Spells/day
Spontaneous casting
Better mental stats

Less Spells known
Loss of 3 feats(1st level for Dragonwrought, no bonus Wizard feat, have to take Draconic Reservoir)
Casting based on Charisma
[/spoiler]

Variant 3: Cleric
[spoiler]
Duskblade 3/Cleric 5/Swiftblade 10/Cleric 2
Domains: Time(needed for Haste) and another one(Destruction, Envy, Liberation and Spell are good domains)

Human

Base abilities(32pts):
Str 14
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 12
Wis 16
Cha 8

Feats
H Expeditious Dodge
1 Power Attack
B Combat Casting
3 Free(aka there are many good feats for clerics, choose one)
B Knowledge Devotion
B Improved Initiative
6 Mobility
9 Practised Spellcaster
B Spring Attack
12 Arcane Strike
15 Versatile Spellcaster
B Bounding Assault
18 Flyby Attack/Free

-Cloistered Cleric, Trade Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion. Make up for bad BAB with Divine Power
-Spontaneous Domain Casting (Cast Domain spells spontaneously instead of Inflict/Cure Spells)

What's different?
Bonus Feats(+1 Human, -1 no combat wizard, +1 Knowledge Domain->Knowledge Devotion, Improved Initiative for free)
Bonus Skills
Domain Power

Different(Better, IMO) Spell list

No stat bonus and more MAD because of wisdom
No familiar/familiar bonus
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2011, 11:23:13 PM »
Here's a nice little Swiftclaw for you :

Ardent 4/Chosen of Saridor 3/Swiftclaw 10/Abjurant Champion 3

What it can do :
-Constant Psionic Haste and Claws of the Beast
-ML 20 with Practiced Manifester
-Awesome buff/manifesting capability with Quicken Power not using focus, allowing it to work at the same time with Linked Power or Twin Power
-Base saves of 8/10/12 with a BAB of 16
-Lots of Wis synergy, with an emphasis on not being caught off guard
-If playing an Elan, nonstop power and survivability, plus access to Rapidstrike and Greater Rapidstrike (with a little shuffling around to get 15 BAB by 18th, requires a different level scheme or PsyReffing a flaw or previous feat)
-In-built pounce with claws
-You're the King of Smack on Psi-Crack! TM
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2011, 12:15:30 AM »
Spellthief is another class that can cast haste, though you'll still need a martial weapon profiency.

A simple spellthief11/swiftblade9 works, throw in master spellthief for the CL boost