Author Topic: The Swiftblade Handbook  (Read 79758 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: The Swiftblade Handbook
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2010, 12:04:11 PM »
Quarterstaffs are free and you can't have a masterwork quarterstaff and still abide by the Vow of Poverty.  I'd actually see if I could convince my DM that the daisho doesn't violate the vow as it is your inheritence and not something you bought or will give away (as giving it away violates the honor of your ancestors).  Bonus points if you convince him to let you upgrade the daisho without violating the vow, but I wouldn't count on it.
IIRC, there's actually a suggestion in the BoED that the DM should allow certain mundane items with VoP which are important to the concept, with the specific example being a samurai character's daisho.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2010, 04:24:26 AM »
Can a Swiftblade with Hide in Plain Sight hide using the concealment from Blurred Alacrity? (and essentially hide anywhere/anytime?)

If so, as an EX ability, does this also defeat True Seeing?

Yes and yes. Although I have heard arguments against the true seeing issue due to true seeing saying it defeats blur, but it is not blur so that is not really an issue.

Yeah, the SwiftBlade Concealment is not a Blur of Displacement effect.  It is of the Concealment types that True Seeing does NOT counter.

Still, remember that only works while you're Hasted. Grab a Persistent Haste to reserve spell slots, otherwise for OOC use this will burn through your spell slots like a Vampire.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
Haste can't be persisted.  Not a fixed range.

That said, one Haste lasts you the entire combat and a Swiftblade doesn't even use an action to cast it (okay, they do, but it's a free action).  4 Hastes per day isn't that big a worry, especially since it's a good party-wide buff anyway.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
Anything can be persisted with enough cheese  :P
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »
Haste can't be persisted.  Not a fixed range.

That said, one Haste lasts you the entire combat and a Swiftblade doesn't even use an action to cast it (okay, they do, but it's a free action).  4 Hastes per day isn't that big a worry, especially since it's a good party-wide buff anyway.
Ocular Spell?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Hitoshura

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2010, 04:10:29 PM »
I think you can persist Swift Haste, no?

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2010, 04:14:57 PM »
I think you can persist Swift Haste, no?

True, but it's not Haste, technically. Won't work with Swiftblade RAW.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

Felix Underwood

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2010, 01:02:03 PM »
Quarterstaffs are free and you can't have a masterwork quarterstaff and still abide by the Vow of Poverty.  I'd actually see if I could convince my DM that the daisho doesn't violate the vow as it is your inheritence and not something you bought or will give away (as giving it away violates the honor of your ancestors).  Bonus points if you convince him to let you upgrade the daisho without violating the vow, but I wouldn't count on it.
IIRC, there's actually a suggestion in the BoED that the DM should allow certain mundane items with VoP which are important to the concept, with the specific example being a samurai character's daisho.
Where is this stated?  Can you provide a page reference?

I just scanned through both the feat and the varaint rule section.  I'm pretty sure you can only use a non-masterwork, non-enchanted simple weapon.  A quarterstaff is just the example given.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2010, 02:23:52 PM »
Here's a useful spell I hadn't seen mentioned: Sakkratar's Triple Strike. From the Lost Empires of Faerun book, page 33.

Sor/Wiz transmutation 5. standard action, 1 target/cl, 1 round duration. Grants two extra attacks with melee weapons on a full attack, and makes the weapons keen and flaming burst. Doesn't stack with speed, but the limitations of the spell are easily navigated around.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2010, 09:54:38 PM »
Here's a useful spell I hadn't seen mentioned: Sakkratar's Triple Strike. From the Lost Empires of Faerun book, page 33.

Sor/Wiz transmutation 5. standard action, 1 target/cl, 1 round duration. Grants two extra attacks with melee weapons on a full attack, and makes the weapons keen and flaming burst. Doesn't stack with speed, but the limitations of the spell are easily navigated around.

It's not terrible, but for a Swiftblade? I wouldn't cast this until I could trade my extra attack for an extra Standard Action.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2010, 10:06:29 PM »
Wizard 5/Incantatrix 3/Swiftblade 9/xxx full casting and BAB 3 with partial BAB in effect, and there's your persistent haste (along with every other buff you want) :P
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Esser-Z

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
I imagine you'd not even bother addressing Arcane Swordsage, seeing as it's rather silly in general, but Arcane SS 5 is a great entry. I'm pretty sure maneuver progression interaction results in you getting .5 initiator level from the no-progression levels of the PrC, while those levels  that do progress progress your spell/maneuver  stuff... Meaning you still get access to ninth level spells/maneuvers, at level 19.

Plus, y'know, have no trouble keeping that Haste active every fight, along with whatever other buffs you choose.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2010, 10:32:50 PM »
I imagine you'd not even bother addressing Arcane Swordsage, seeing as it's rather silly in general, but Arcane SS 5 is a great entry. I'm pretty sure maneuver progression interaction results in you getting .5 initiator level from the no-progression levels of the PrC, while those levels  that do progress progress your spell/maneuver stuff... Meaning you still get access to ninth level spells/maneuvers, at level 19.
Plus, y'know, have no trouble keeping that Haste active every fight, along with whatever other buffs you choose.

That would be a really nice entry. Let's consider an Arcane Swordsage 5 / Swiftblade 10 / Abjurant Champion 5.

Spells by level (Evocation/Transmutation/Abjuration):
2nd - Wraithstrike, Heroics, Glitterdust
3rd - Haste, Dragonskin, Repelling Shield
4th - Mirror Image (Greater)
5th - Dimension Door (Greater) , Lightning Leap, Telekinesis
6th - Antimagic Field, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Contingency
7th - Synostodweomer, Energy Absorption
8th - Mystic Shield, Celerity (Greater), Ghostform
9th - Replicate Casting, Absorption, Dragonshape

Runestaff:
Magic Weapon (Greater)
Heart of Water
Heart of Earth
Luminous Armor (Greater)
Elemental Body

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2010, 11:04:57 PM »
I imagine you'd not even bother addressing Arcane Swordsage, seeing as it's rather silly in general, but Arcane SS 5 is a great entry. I'm pretty sure maneuver progression interaction results in you getting .5 initiator level from the no-progression levels of the PrC, while those levels  that do progress progress your spell/maneuver  stuff... Meaning you still get access to ninth level spells/maneuvers, at level 19.

I think I have an arcane swordsage swiftblade build floating around somewhere in one of my threads that abuses a ToAL for all spells known and PsyRef Tat to swap maneuvers around to taste.  Oh, and he's a Kalashtar, so he can racially manifest any power at least once, and mental pinnacle more power points if he feels like being a psion.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2010, 03:32:17 AM »
Just wanted to make sure people know that the Ruathar prestige class grants martial weapon proficiency and can be taken at level 6.  Wizard 5/Ruathar 1/Swiftblade X means you don't need to worry about wasting a feat as a non-elf.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2010, 04:56:10 AM »
Assuming Arcane Swordsage is legal, can it actually enter Swiftblade because of Swiftblade's downright weird pre-requisites (using every 3rd-level spell slot to cast Haste the previous level)...?

turok124

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2010, 05:31:43 AM »
since the arcane swordsage doesn't actually have spell slots, i'd say no

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2010, 08:32:37 AM »
Alternatively, since it doesn't have any spell slots but can still cast haste, technically yes.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

turok124

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2010, 04:46:46 PM »
but you wouldn't be able to fulfill the requirement of spending the previous level using the 3rd level slots for ONLY haste.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »
Technically, he did use all his third level spell slots to cast Haste. All zero of them.