Author Topic: The Swiftblade Handbook  (Read 79757 times)

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: The Swiftblade Handbook
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2010, 05:10:16 AM »
Sorry to double post, but this is too good to sit on.  Saw something similar in the Swiftblade Handbook, and with SotAO tech, it can work.

Mystic Ranger 4/Swiftblade 3/Divine Crusader 1/Prestige Paladin 1/Swiftblade 4-9/Abjurant Champion 5

We use the Dragonblood Pool trick with Sanctum Spell to snag haste, qualifying for Swiftblade, and at 6th level we take Sword of the Arcane Order.  It gets better though.  Since we already have the feat by the time we take PrC Pally, we get to add Sor/Wiz spells to any spell slot we have.  Further, if you'll note, we don't lose a single point of BAB, meaning our CL with the capstone of Abjurant Champion will be 20.  Full Wizard progression minus some higher level slots, absolutely fantastic gish potential, Int/Cha focus, and all the good stuff of Swiftblade, with 9th level spells off the best list.  We can even shore up some stuff and get better saves if we sub the Mystic Ranger at the beginning for Paladin, though that makes PrC Pally kinda dicy (most DM's will frown even more, since it's recommended that the base classes be unavailable with the PrC versions).  Planar Touchstone can pick up the Turning needed for PrC Pally without losing BAB on a dip, or Paladin gets it naturally if the DM is cool with that level of cheese.  Figured I'd throw the idea out there :D

Love this build, is Divine Crusader the class from Complete Divine?  I can't find a full BAB divine crusader which is why I ask.

Yeah I think Kell made a mistake. It's only 19 BAB.

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »
Yeah I think Kell made a mistake. It's only 19 BAB.

Yeah, still really awesome, especially with finally getting a really nice use for divine crusader.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 04:29:11 AM »
Agreed, Kell came up with a great concept there.  I'd love to see it without the early entry tricks, but short of house-ruling swift haste to qualify for the PrC, I'm not sure how well it would work.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 04:50:54 AM »
Whoopsies...so Kell can't read a table :P  I must be too used to ignoring them because of Rainbow Servant that the consistent ones occasionally elude my view :P  But yeah, BAB 19 still is bad ass.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 02:38:49 PM »
Suel Arcanamach is A PrC that can cast haste

Duskblade3/paladin2/fighter1/SA1/abjurantchampion3/swiftblade9/spellsword1

19 BAB, 15 CL with practiced spellcaster, -15% ASF, 5th level spells

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »
Duskblade3/paladin2/abjurant1/SA1/abjurantchampion+4/swiftblade9

I think this works as well.

19bab 19cl.

Fluffles

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »
Sual Arcanamach has it's own spellcasting. It does not advance any others.

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »
That is correct. As far as I can tell, both the builds posted above advance SA casting with Swiftblade. Your point?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »
That is correct. As far as I can tell, both the builds posted above advance SA casting with Swiftblade. Your point?
To expand on this, AbjChamp 5 sets CL to BAB. Since the build has 19 BAB, it also has CL 19.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Fluffles

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »
Just pointing it out in case anyone doesn't know.

Jopustopin

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 02:37:42 AM »
Just thought I'd throw it out there:

The Dragon Compendium Jester can qualify for this prestige class.  Hilarious I know.

(And we all want some Jester/Swiftblade builds)

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2010, 07:20:28 AM »
Originally posted on GitP:

Believe it or not, I think it is possible, RAW, to build a viable Vow of Poverty Swiftblade with 9th level spells, including Gate, and a +17 BAB. This is probably silly, potentially abusive, and relies on the Dragonsblood Pool trick to allow a spontaneous Divine caster to technically qualify as an Arcane caster, among other tricks.

Thoughtful input, commentary, and questions always welcome.

The concept:

Human Factotum (Dungeonscape) 1/Oriental Adventures Samurai 6/Trapsmith (Dungeonscape) 1/Apostle of Peace (Book of Exalted Deeds) 2/Swiftblade 10. On 32 points, STR 10 DEX 13 CON 13 INT 14 WIS 16 CHA 12 fulfills both Skill and Feat prerequisites.

The Factotum opening is obviously there for skill access. Oriental Adventures' version of the Samurai is needed for the Will save for Apostle of Peace. The OA Samurai also has access to two bonus feats, and a Daisho which is referenced as a 'pair of masterworked weapons.' I strongly suggest working with the DM to allow a double weapon, such as the Quarterstaff, as the character's Daisho. Bonus Feats are based on clan, with Crane, Lion, and Phoenix being the most synergistic with the rest of the concept for both crunch and fluff. The Trapsmith hack into Swiftblade (i.e., Haste is a 1st level spell on the short Trapsmith list) is relatively well-known in optimization discussions.

Apostle of Peace has an accelerated casting progression akin to the Sublime Chord off of a limited, primarily defensive and support-oriented list. Use Owl's Wisdom + Intuitive Attack with the Quarterstaff, and any enemies that aren't immune to subdual damage will be quickly brought unconscious. A large percentage of those that are not affected by subdual damage turn out to be undead or constructs, and are therefore fair game for you to use lethal force against by the terms of Vow of Peace.

Feat and Skill needs are somewhat intensive.  I used the above array to get Midnight Dodge rather than the meh base version of Dodge, which can allow access to further Incarnum Feats later on, particularly those related to casting; Soultouched Spellcasting in particular deserves mention for adding to your ability to overcome SR and use Dispel Magic. Nymph's Kiss, and Intuitive Attack (use a Quarterstaff) are all solid choices for the non-essential bonus Exalted feats early on; Subduing Strike should be considered essential for an armed combatant with Vow of Peace.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2010, 11:06:31 AM »
Quarterstaffs are free and you can't have a masterwork quarterstaff and still abide by the Vow of Poverty.  I'd actually see if I could convince my DM that the daisho doesn't violate the vow as it is your inheritence and not something you bought or will give away (as giving it away violates the honor of your ancestors).  Bonus points if you convince him to let you upgrade the daisho without violating the vow, but I wouldn't count on it.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
VoP allows a single weapon 'usually a quarterstaff.'  OA Samurai automatically gets 'a pair of masterworked weapons.'  Hence the note on working with the DM to have an OA Samurai with VoP.  If your DM is going to rule that the OA Samurai is automatically disqualified from VoP...  :banghead.  Roll up a Druid and rock on.

EDIT:  "Roing to rule?"  When did I become Scooby Doo?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:10:49 PM by InnaBinder »
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2010, 12:03:11 PM »
I'd let them have the katana, read some good fiction with wandering swordsmen who own nothing but their weapon. Not sure I'd let them enhance it though.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2010, 12:27:17 PM »
VoP allows a single weapon 'usually a quarterstaff.'  OA Samurai automatically gets 'a pair of masterworked weapons.'  Hence the note on working with the DM to have an OA Samurai with VoP.  If your DM is going to rule that the OA Samurai is automatically disqualified from VoP...  :banghead.  Roll up a Druid and rock on.

I may be wrong, but I believe the text is "single simple weapon, usually a quarterstaff blahblahsomethingaboutwalkingstickblah".
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2010, 12:35:19 PM »
VoP allows a single weapon 'usually a quarterstaff.'  OA Samurai automatically gets 'a pair of masterworked weapons.'  Hence the note on working with the DM to have an OA Samurai with VoP.  If your DM is going to rule that the OA Samurai is automatically disqualified from VoP...  :banghead.  Roll up a Druid and rock on.

I may be wrong, but I believe the text is "single simple weapon, usually a quarterstaff blahblahsomethingaboutwalkingstickblah".
That's correct.

I made a Handbook!?

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Can a Swiftblade with Hide in Plain Sight hide using the concealment from Blurred Alacrity? (and essentially hide anywhere/anytime?)

If so, as an EX ability, does this also defeat True Seeing?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2010, 10:05:12 PM »
Can a Swiftblade with Hide in Plain Sight hide using the concealment from Blurred Alacrity? (and essentially hide anywhere/anytime?)

Yes and yes. Although I have heard arguments against the true seeing issue due to true seeing saying it defeats blur, but it is not blur so that is not really an issue.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »

Yes and yes. Although I have heard arguments against the true seeing issue due to true seeing saying it defeats blur, but it is not blur so that is not really an issue.

Yeah, the SwiftBlade Concealment is not a Blur of Displacement effect.  It is of the Concealment types that True Seeing does NOT counter.
Placeholder - T'tosc