Author Topic: The Swiftblade Handbook  (Read 79774 times)

johnboy069

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: The Swiftblade Handbook
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2009, 11:34:56 PM »
I have a question: Can artificers become swiftblades by taking a level in the trapsmith prc?

I think anyone can qualify for swiftblade with a level of trapsmith and the dodge/mobility feats.

Cool and thanks. In the guide (it may have been the one on 339), I thought I saw a comment about artificer/swiftblades, and I wondered if that was the most common way they got in.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:40:58 PM by johnboy069 »
This is johnboy069 and toryn from the wizards boards:)
\m/ RIP Ronnie James Dio, you will be missed.\m/ :bigeye

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 09:45:25 PM »
Is this a good gestalt build?

Tiefling Warlock 10/ Swift blade 10// Wizard 10/ Incantrix

I will be using the LA buy-off from Unearthed Arcana
Using Wizard to enter Swiftblade and then Advancing Warlock casting with swiftblade.
So I get full wizard casting, 16 lvl warlock casting, and BAB 17?

the tiefling is for flavor and an Int bump.

Hitoshura

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 11:48:30 PM »
You cant advance two PrCs at the same time in a Gestalt Progression.

I wouldn't mix with Warlock, however, maybe some levels in Factotum...

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 11:51:19 PM »
You cant advance two PrCs at the same time in a Gestalt Progression.

I wouldn't mix with Warlock, however, maybe some levels in Factotum...

Houseruled to advance two prestige class at the same time, it is for an arena-esque touenament.
And why wouldn't it mix well with warlock? I don't plan on using invocations that use saves, mostly things like flee the scene, fell flight, and that invocation that mimics wall of force.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 12:24:08 AM »
I believe I am correct in saying that unless a class specifies that it advances Invocations, it cannot advance Warlock levels. (For reference, look at Hellfire Warlock, Eldritch Theurge or Eldritch Disciple.)

Also, Factotum is made of Awesome. Just so you know. Definitely go with the Factotum build, if it's only between those two.

If you want to look at other options, go for something (Duskblade or Hexblade maybe) that gives you lots of lower level slots to use haste with, and split that with the wizard levels. So, you'd be looking at something like...

Duskblade 10/Swiftblade 10//Wizard 5 (is this legal?)/Incantrix 10/Archmage 5

And more involved members can do better. I'm sure.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 12:39:41 AM »
on page 18 of Complete Arcane it espicifically states that any class that advances spellcasting it also advances invocations, I considered Arch Mage but those are some steep requirements, and it is an already feat starved build...although factotum does seems tempting Int to EVERYTHING sounds really nice....

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 01:04:27 AM »
Archmage might be too steep, maybe. We've got what, 2 feats for Swiftblade (Dodge and Mobility), 2 for Incantrix (Iron Will and a Metamagic Feat) that all need to be gotten below level 10. (for incantrix, before level 5.) 1, 3, 6 and 9 are filled. Archmage is what, three feats? (Spell Focus in two schools and Skill Focus (Spellcraft)) so you can't do it unless you are buying feats from the Otyugh (or whatever) Hole. Unless I am wrong in remembering that Incantrix gives you that Skill Focus for free, in which case, you'd need to be human and only go to Archmage 4.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 01:09:30 AM »
I got 5 feats at first level (1 for lvl, 1 for human, scribe scroll or maybe a fighter feat for wizard 2 for flaws....) so It is doable

deuxhero

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 01:50:47 PM »
Is this a good gestalt build?

Tiefling Warlock 10/ Swift blade 10// Wizard 10/ Incantrix

I will be using the LA buy-off from Unearthed Arcana
Using Wizard to enter Swiftblade and then Advancing Warlock casting with swiftblade.
So I get full wizard casting, 16 lvl warlock casting, and BAB 17?

the tiefling is for flavor and an Int bump.

See if you can get the NWN2 verison of Flee the Scenes mentioned on the last post of page one. Warlock qualifys for swiftblade without shenanigans with it (you will need a martial weapon, but outsider gets you that).

But there isn't alot of synergy with that build. Now Factotum//Wizard, THAT has good synergy.

Aliment

• Illithid Zombies
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2009, 04:43:37 PM »
Factotum 8 + Wizard= Win.

I can see why you'd want Warlock, but if its arena, then Warlock's just silly.
True Sign of Player Paranoia:
Player:"I look out of the keep"
DM:"There are no visible armies"
Player:"Aw crap theres an Invisible army!"

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
If Swiftblade were to be allowed to progress arcane casting (or the base class had a trick...Dragonblood Pool!), how would a Cloistered Cleric look as one?  You can pick up several handy feats just from domains, not to mention potentially cover the martial weapon proficiency requirement.  That and with PrC Pally tech, you'd still have the whole wizard list (though it'd lose a level of AC potentially, unless early entry is used on Spelldancer, which is well within the bounds of possibility).  What do you guys think?  Cleric 3/Spelldancer 2/Swiftblade 9/PrC Pally 1/Abjurant Champion 5 for BAB 17/CL 17, autopersist, evasion, 3.0 haste, full Sor/Wiz and Cleric w/ domains, easier to optimize casting stat, and plenty of AC from AC (hehe).  Only drawback though is you're teh suck at rocket tag compared to the Wizard variant, though still moving right along higher than most.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 04:05:09 PM »
Sorry to double post, but this is too good to sit on.  Saw something similar in the Swiftblade Handbook, and with SotAO tech, it can work.

Mystic Ranger 4/Swiftblade 3/Divine Crusader 1/Prestige Paladin 1/Swiftblade 4-9/Abjurant Champion 5

We use the Dragonblood Pool trick with Sanctum Spell to snag haste, qualifying for Swiftblade, and at 6th level we take Sword of the Arcane Order.  It gets better though.  Since we already have the feat by the time we take PrC Pally, we get to add Sor/Wiz spells to any spell slot we have.  Further, if you'll note, we don't lose a single point of BAB, meaning our CL with the capstone of Abjurant Champion will be 20.  Full Wizard progression minus some higher level slots, absolutely fantastic gish potential, Int/Cha focus, and all the good stuff of Swiftblade, with 9th level spells off the best list.  We can even shore up some stuff and get better saves if we sub the Mystic Ranger at the beginning for Paladin, though that makes PrC Pally kinda dicy (most DM's will frown even more, since it's recommended that the base classes be unavailable with the PrC versions).  Planar Touchstone can pick up the Turning needed for PrC Pally without losing BAB on a dip, or Paladin gets it naturally if the DM is cool with that level of cheese.  Figured I'd throw the idea out there :D
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2010, 04:07:28 PM »
What Planar Touchstone grants turning?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2010, 04:13:17 PM »

Catalogues of Enlightenment - Domain Granted Power (Sun) :D
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 04:30:54 PM »

You're dirty  ;)

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 05:05:16 PM »

You're dirty  ;)

It's Kell, what did you expect? ;)
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 05:50:16 PM »

You're dirty  ;)

-points to top part of siggy-  For the record, Kell's Skunkworks Black Ops is working on a Swiftblade of this caliber that also achieves the Bardic Music of a level 20 bard.  Oh, while keeping the doctrine of 20/20 gish :)

PS : Invisible non-existent fu for whoever gets the Skunkworks reference :P
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »

You're dirty  ;)

-points to top part of siggy-  For the record, Kell's Skunkworks Black Ops is working on a Swiftblade of this caliber that also achieves the Bardic Music of a level 20 bard.  Oh, while keeping the doctrine of 20/20 gish :)

Lockheed Martin.

Edit: Also, I'm clearly not connecting dots this morning. Is the advantage from PrC Pally in this build anything other than getting to cast every spell you know with free quicken through Battle Blessing?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:54:31 AM by McPoyo »
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 12:19:08 PM »

You're dirty  ;)

-points to top part of siggy-  For the record, Kell's Skunkworks Black Ops is working on a Swiftblade of this caliber that also achieves the Bardic Music of a level 20 bard.  Oh, while keeping the doctrine of 20/20 gish :)

Lockheed Martin.

Edit: Also, I'm clearly not connecting dots this morning. Is the advantage from PrC Pally in this build anything other than getting to cast every spell you know with free quicken through Battle Blessing?

It also lets you treat all those Divine Crusader slots as Paladin slots, making you a mini-wizard with Sword of the Arcane Order.  And to make TML happy and give even more +to hit and damage, sub Mystic Ranger for normal paladin and enjoy an extra slot on all of it with +2 CL, and Bardic Music instead of Detect Evil.  Five total levels of Paladin = one more than needed for SotAO.  Combine with usual level raising tricks on Bardic Music, and it can easily add up to +10 to hit and damage (requires Words of Creation).
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2010, 05:07:30 AM »
Sorry to double post, but this is too good to sit on.  Saw something similar in the Swiftblade Handbook, and with SotAO tech, it can work.

Mystic Ranger 4/Swiftblade 3/Divine Crusader 1/Prestige Paladin 1/Swiftblade 4-9/Abjurant Champion 5

We use the Dragonblood Pool trick with Sanctum Spell to snag haste, qualifying for Swiftblade, and at 6th level we take Sword of the Arcane Order.  It gets better though.  Since we already have the feat by the time we take PrC Pally, we get to add Sor/Wiz spells to any spell slot we have.  Further, if you'll note, we don't lose a single point of BAB, meaning our CL with the capstone of Abjurant Champion will be 20.  Full Wizard progression minus some higher level slots, absolutely fantastic gish potential, Int/Cha focus, and all the good stuff of Swiftblade, with 9th level spells off the best list.  We can even shore up some stuff and get better saves if we sub the Mystic Ranger at the beginning for Paladin, though that makes PrC Pally kinda dicy (most DM's will frown even more, since it's recommended that the base classes be unavailable with the PrC versions).  Planar Touchstone can pick up the Turning needed for PrC Pally without losing BAB on a dip, or Paladin gets it naturally if the DM is cool with that level of cheese.  Figured I'd throw the idea out there :D

Love this build, is Divine Crusader the class from Complete Divine?  I can't find a full BAB divine crusader which is why I ask.