Author Topic: Incarnate/Chameleon  (Read 2241 times)

jeek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Incarnate/Chameleon
« on: November 05, 2009, 07:14:03 PM »
I started at level 3 with this guy... planning on prestiging into Chameleon when I hit level 6.

I'm looking for creative combos, tricks, and overall gameplans for filling various roles.

Evil Azurin Factotum 1/Incarnate 2 (Taking two more levels of Incarnate before I start Chameleon)
The Factotum level is so that I can qualify for Chameleon much, much sooner. I also that it has the side effect of helping my skill checks since I'm not paying double for various skills like a straight Incarnate would.

STR: 16
DEX: 17
CON: 14
INT: 18
WIS: 11
CHA: 10
Feats: Able Learner, Shape Soulmeld (Worg Pelt), Trickery Devotion
Skills: 6 ranks: Disguise, Bluff, Open Lock, Disable Device, Search, Spot
4 ranks: Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Concentration, Knowledge (Arcane)

For example, I wanted to be a social lying bastard, so I took Silvertongue Mask (+2 insight to Bluff/Diplomacy + 2*ESS) along with the Necrocarnum Meld (+4 profane bonus to Bluff!), along with the Theft Gloves for good measure.
--
After noticing the posting guidelines sticky immediately after posting this thread, I thought it'd be best to elaborate a bit more.

The current three levels are pretty much set in stone, and I'm leaning heavily towards proceeding, class-wise, as mentioned above, but I'm interested in clever ways to combine the Incarnate abilities (at low level) with the upcoming Chameleon abilities.

Source-wise, my DM hates to read, but is currently allowing, with the caveat of a heads-up on anything too weird, Magic of Incarnum, Races of Destiny, PHB, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, DMG. Another player at the table is also making extensive use of Libris Mortis. I've also been making heavy use of the Astral Vambraces soulmeld from Wizards.com. Additional sources of abilities would probably be allowing, as long as I don't add too many of them. The DM has extensive 2E experience, but this is his first real foray into 3.5, and I do not want to break or scare the poor fellow.

My current inventory consists of:
Healing Belt (MiC), Masterwork Thieves' Tools, Masterwork Rapier, Masterwork Greatsword, Dagger, Masterwork Studded Leather, endless food/endless water thingies from MiC, and soon I'll have masterwork tools for the Bluff and Forgery skills.

and to reiterate, what I'm primarily looking for is neat ways to combine the Chameleon and Incarnate abilities to be randomly awesome from day to day at different things, primarily focus/Bonus Feat/soulmeld/spell combinations.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:50:21 PM by jeek »

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
Re: Incarnate/Chameleon
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:18:20 PM »
Evuil incarnate has extra damage boosters, on top of the already impressive amount other incarnates get.

Alas, you lack much in the way of -to hit- boosters.  bloodwar gauntlets work for that, though they conflict with their gloves.

Consider getting a Spectral Dagger (6000 gp) when you can afford it.

jeek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 07:39:28 PM »
Alas, you lack much in the way of -to hit- boosters.  bloodwar gauntlets work for that, though they conflict with their gloves.

The Theft Gloves were a one-day thing when I was pretending to be a skill monkey, and I believe the Bloodwar Gauntlets can go on the hands or arms. I was using them, along with Astral Vambraces and Incarnate Avatar, when I was in what I consider the melee form. Also, the Factotum's Inspiration ability does give me +4 to hit or damage twice per combat, although I need to check the bonus type to make sure it's not conflicting somewhere.

Is 1d6 damage and a possible point of strength damage really worth that much gold? I think I may be missing something.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 07:44:17 PM by jeek »

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:52:29 PM »

The Theft Gloves were a one-day thing when I was pretending to be a skill monkey, and I believe the Bloodwar Gauntlets can go on the hands or arms. I was using them, along with Astral Vambraces and Incarnate Avatar, when I was in what I consider the melee form. Also, the Factotum's Inspiration ability does give me +4 to hit or damage twice per combat, although I need to check the bonus type to make sure it's not conflicting somewhere.

I think factotum bonuses are untyped.  Astral Vambraces are excellent.

Is 1d6 damage and a possible point of strength damage really worth that much gold? I think I may be missing something.

It's a touch attack.  And while you don't add damage from STR, you do add your various incarnum bonuses.

jeek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »
I think factotum bonuses are untyped.  Astral Vambraces are excellent.

Factotum bonuses are competence. Yay stacking. :D

And yes, the Astral Vambraces are excellent. If only DR stacked, I could get up to DR 8 or 9.

jeek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:35:52 AM »
Someone correct me on this if my math is wrong.. but, at level 6, with Theft Gloves shaped and the Stealth focus:
9 ranks in Open Locks and Disable Device
+4 from DEX or INT mod, depending
+8 insight from Theft Gloves (+2 from being shaped, +2 from normal point of essentia, +2 from extra point from the cap going up when I hit Incarnate level 3, and +2 from the cap going up when I hit character level 6)
+2 circumstance from masterwork tools
+2 competence from Stealth focus

for a total of +25 to Open Locks and Disable Device at level 6.

With the DC on a CR6 trap being 28 at best, am I an Aid Other away from having 100% CR-appropriate trapbusting skills?