Author Topic: Attn. All Metalheads!  (Read 12614 times)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Attn. All Metalheads!
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 12:27:27 AM »
Dethklok anyone?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 02:10:09 AM »
Dethklok anyone?
I'll let you know next tuesday (maybe wednsday)   :bounce

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt
More Savage Progressions[/spoiler]
Report any wrongs I have done here.

winter_soldier

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 10:22:04 AM »
Dethklok anyone?

I love Dethklok. That's all I listne when lifting weights.

winter_soldier

• Email
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 10:37:32 PM »
Also, check out Overkill's Horrorscope, another lost metal classic.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 11:04:40 PM »
If you're fond of prog metal, Dream Theater is quite excellent.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 11:50:38 AM »
If you're fond of prog metal, Dream Theater is quite excellent.
could you possibly understate that any more than you just did?   :p

[spoiler]
If you stop ignoring 289 pages telling what the intent is to stretch "more power" in your own god complexion of your interpretation trumps all to cover ability adjustments from aging then I will ignore a quarter page of rules that exist within a sidebar.
I think in this case the grammar is less important than whether the Str and Dex bonus provided to your created undead scales.

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 12:13:36 PM »
I am a fan of pagan metal.  I listen to stuff like Tyr, Korpiklaani, Turisas, Finntroll, and Eluveitie.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2009, 04:13:16 AM »
If you're fond of prog metal, Dream Theater is quite excellent. overrated.

Fix'd.  :)

Check out Hammer of Misfortune and The Lord Weird Slough Feg.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 07:26:26 AM »

Fix'd.  :)

ZOMFG dude -- what is your issue with DT?  Being that they are my favorite band ever, I must admit that I have a bit of a bias; however, even if you don't particularly like them, that doesn't mean that they suck.  the greatness-suckdom scale isn't an either-or thing -- it's a continuum.  also, matters of taste are largely irrelevant when it comes to how good a band is.
So, seriously, what's the deal?

BTW, I'll have to check-out those other bands (though, given your expressed tastes, I'm a bit skeptical  :p)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:29:59 AM by wotmaniac »

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

winter_soldier

• Email
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »

ZOMFG dude -- what is your issue with DT?  Being that they are my favorite band ever, I must admit that I have a bit of a bias; however, even if you don't particularly like them, that doesn't mean that they suck.  the greatness-suckdom scale isn't an either-or thing -- it's a continuum.  also, matters of taste are largely irrelevant when it comes to how good a band is.

BTW, I'll have to check-out those other bands (though, given your expressed tastes, I'm a bit skeptical  :p)

I'll take a stab at this: People who don't care for Dream Theater (myself included) usually have the same complaints: James LaBrie's voice, over-production, musical masturbation (Yes, I know that's the point of prog, but there's masturbation and masturbation). I'll say this in Dream Theater's defense: they're not Dragonforce. *ducks*

But, that's just my opinion, YMMV. I like my prog a bit more Opeth-flavored.

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2009, 11:51:48 AM »
Loudness fans, anyone?
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 01:25:57 PM »

BTW, I'll have to check-out those other bands (though, given your expressed tastes, I'm a bit skeptical  :p)

I'll take a stab at this: People who don't care for Dream Theater (myself included) usually have the same complaints: James LaBrie's voice, over-production, musical masturbation (Yes, I know that's the point of prog, but there's masturbation and masturbation). I'll say this in Dream Theater's defense: they're not Dragonforce. *ducks*

well, I actually happen to like Dragonforce (but that's beside the point) -- but that was pretty funny (i.e., it's safe to come out now  ;))
as far as Labrie goes -- I can kinda see that.  there are just some songs for which his voice is not a good match (though, anyone would have to admit that he is much better than Charlie Dominici).  I was also disappointed with how poorly his voice suits their cover albums (Master of Puppets, # of the Beast, etc.).  However, there are also a great many songs that I couldn't imagine anyone else ever doing (Change of Seasons, all of Images and Words, Scenes from a Memory, et.al.)
Do they go over-board sometimes? Sure, but I don't really take great issue with it (not gonna snivel over a couple of minutes here and there).  I'm sure that songs like "Home" could have been trimmed by a couple of minutes, and "Six Degrees ..." was potentially a little too much; but by and large, I thoroughly enjoy their musicianship.  The big thing for me is what they do for me lyrically -- it's literally probably the only reason I'm still alive (circa 1998).

but I digress -- like you said, YMMV.

Loudness fans, anyone?
Not bad, though I doubt that I'd actually pay for their stuff.  I might consider them a bonus as secondary "headliner" at a show.

my turn -- hows about the Black Tide?

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »

Nail on the head. Except for the Opeth flavored, I prefer it more Gorguts/Portal/Deathspell Omega. Less actual prog and more Cthulhu coming through the speakers to devour me.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 04:12:01 PM »
Dethklok anyone?
Well, there were 4 bands:  High on Fire, Converge, Mastodon, and Dethklok.  Here's my take:

High on Fire:
-- first impression: while the whole scream-core thing isn't really my cup o' tea, they had a pretty good sound.
-- conclusion: a little rough around the edges -- with a little polishing, they could definitely go somewhere.

Converge:
-- first impression:  the guitarist must have grew-up on danzig ; the lead "singer" reminds me of a meth-addicted, epileptic Beavis.
-- conclusion: the bassist is the best thing out of this group; otherwise, they pretty much suck donkey balls.

Mastodon:
-- first impression:  big, full sound ; very talented ; really cool visual affects that tell a cool story
-- conclusion:  THIS BAND ROCKS!!!

Dethklok:
-- first impression: with this all-star line-up - what do you expect?
-- conclusion: Brendon Small is pure genius!

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 05:36:26 PM »
Dethklok anyone?
Well, there were 4 bands:  High on Fire, Converge, Mastodon, and Dethklok.  Here's my take:

High on Fire:
-- first impression: while the whole scream-core thing isn't really my cup o' tea, they had a pretty good sound.
-- conclusion: a little rough around the edges -- with a little polishing, they could definitely go somewhere.

Converge:
-- first impression:  the guitarist must have grew-up on danzig ; the lead "singer" reminds me of a meth-addicted, epileptic Beavis.
-- conclusion: the bassist is the best thing out of this group; otherwise, they pretty much suck donkey balls.

Mastodon:
-- first impression:  big, full sound ; very talented ; really cool visual affects that tell a cool story
-- conclusion:  THIS BAND ROCKS!!!

Dethklok:
-- first impression: with this all-star line-up - what do you expect?
-- conclusion: Brendon Small is pure genius!

If you like Mastodon check out Baroness's Red Album -- Blue Record blows -- and if you like their Remission era stuff look at Intronaut. And while I disagree with the rest of that, I can understand why you didn't like Converge but High on Fire? Death Is This Communion was the album in 2007. Better than BTBAM's Colors. You should check out Sleep's Holy Mountain by Sleep as well -- Sleep was the band that preceeded High on Fire and OM.

Don't get me started on Dethklok. I understand where he's trying to come from and I'm able to laugh at metal stereotypes, but the show and the music are just subpar to me. *shrugs*

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2009, 06:40:50 PM »
Don't get me started on Dethklok. I understand where he's trying to come from and I'm able to laugh at metal stereotypes, but the show and the music are just subpar to me. *shrugs*
My approach to their live act was to keep the cartoon in mind.  Within that context, I found it to be a very entertaining concert -- the way that he never broke kayfabe was a huge plus.
Never mind that the artists on stage with him are legends in their own rights (and deservingly so).

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 01:55:04 AM »
I kind of feel bad for Gene Holgan. He's a much better drummer than that. The other guys, I don't really know.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 03:14:03 AM »
I kind of feel bad for Gene Holgan. He's a much better drummer than that. The other guys, I don't really know.
the other 2 are most notable for their work with Steve Via.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 04:31:44 AM »
I feel even worse for Gene Holgan. He's a much better drummer than that.

wotmaniac

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Emperor's Enforcer
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 04:45:05 AM »
I feel even worse for Gene Holgan. He's a much better drummer than that.
:twitch
wow, dude.  I think that you too easily confuse matters of quality with matters of taste.

I'm just sayin'.

[spoiler]

Greenbound Summoning RAI
Expanded Gestalt