Author Topic: Babies are weird  (Read 14065 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Babies are weird
« on: November 03, 2009, 10:59:32 AM »
My daughter is one year old now.  One thing I've discovered is babies are weird.  This isn't a bad thing.  In fact, I can find no end of amusement just watching her do things some times.

For the past few months we've been putting a folded table cloth under her chair, as she has a habit of throwing food she doesn't want off of her tray.  This is nothing new.  Although, she has developed two quircks:

1) It is important to feed her things of ascending favor.  If you feed her her favorite food first, she will refuse to eat anything after that.  So, not only do we give her stuff she's neutral to first, we actually hide better things from her at that time.  If she see it, she'll start chucking stuff.

2) Lately, she's been having appetite issues, and will get cranky and stop eating for no obvious reason.  This means she's offen genuinely hungry when we take her out of her tray.  She will then proceed to eat the same food she previously rejected off of the floor.  Priceless.

As a bonus, if you have cats, you can add a new interesting dynamic!  One of our cats loves most people-food.  She'll eat about anything other than raw fruit thrown on the floor.  So one of our cats has learned our daughter is a delightful source of table scraps.  This comes at a risk, however.  While there's a 90% chance that a table scrap is hitting the floor, there's also a 10% chance that a hard plastic up filled with liquid is hitting the floor.  So it goes something like this:

"Oh boy! Pizza crust!"

*thud*

"What the fuck?  Where'd that come from?"

Priceless.  Having kids is very entertanining.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: Babies are weird
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:21:48 AM »
Maybe I should get a few just for the entertainment.

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »
:o
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »
It's an investment.  The first two months if pretty much:

- them sleeping
- them eating
- them messing their diapers
- them crying

So, at that point, if you find it comforting to hold a baby, then they can be entertaining.  Other than that, from my experiences, they get to be much more fun around three months, and they keep getting more interesting as they get older.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 12:07:59 PM »
And you have to be ready for a kid. Otherwise it is not going to be nice. Well, that is what I am guessing anyway.

So far you and your youngling dragon seem to be doing great.

Handy Links

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 12:51:43 PM »
My daughter is one year old now.  One thing I've discovered is babies are weird.  This isn't a bad thing.  In fact, I can find no end of amusement just watching her do things some times.

For the past few months we've been putting a folded table cloth under her chair, as she has a habit of throwing food she doesn't want off of her tray.  This is nothing new.  Although, she has developed two quircks:

1) It is important to feed her things of ascending favor.  If you feed her her favorite food first, she will refuse to eat anything after that.  So, not only do we give her stuff she's neutral to first, we actually hide better things from her at that time.  If she see it, she'll start chucking stuff.

2) Lately, she's been having appetite issues, and will get cranky and stop eating for no obvious reason.  This means she's offen genuinely hungry when we take her out of her tray.  She will then proceed to eat the same food she previously rejected off of the floor.  Priceless.

As a bonus, if you have cats, you can add a new interesting dynamic!  One of our cats loves most people-food.  She'll eat about anything other than raw fruit thrown on the floor.  So one of our cats has learned our daughter is a delightful source of table scraps.  This comes at a risk, however.  While there's a 90% chance that a table scrap is hitting the floor, there's also a 10% chance that a hard plastic up filled with liquid is hitting the floor.  So it goes something like this:

"Oh boy! Pizza crust!"

*thud*

"What the fuck?  Where'd that come from?"

Priceless.  Having kids is very entertanining.

Has she yet gotten to the point where she starts getting hyperactive when she's tired?

My adoptive baby brother used to be that way when he was around two. The closer it got to bedtime the more active he got... until he'd just plop onto a pillow in exhaustion, curl up and fall asleep.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 01:01:17 PM »
And you have to be ready for a kid. Otherwise it is not going to be nice. Well, that is what I am guessing anyway.

Thanks!

Has she yet gotten to the point where she starts getting hyperactive when she's tired?

My adoptive baby brother used to be that way when he was around two. The closer it got to bedtime the more active he got... until he'd just plop onto a pillow in exhaustion, curl up and fall asleep.
Kind of.  Usually now, she just gets really freaking cranky.  Although several months ago, we started "sleep training" her so she could fall asleep on her own and not wake up so much in the night*.  Among other things, this invloved not running up and coddeling her every time she cried in her crib.  For the first couple of weeks she'd just get furious and start screaming and screaming, sometimes for an hour or more.  After a while, she'd just collapse, and we'd find her sleeping in the weirdest positions, like with her butt sitting on the crib, but her torso and head lying on her side.

* This is something I didn't know about kids until I had one.  They actually can't easily fall asleep on their own when they're young.  They get used to falling asleep while being rocked, so if you plop them in their crib, they just get pissed when you walk out of sight.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »

Thanks!

Kind of.  Usually now, she just gets really freaking cranky.  Although several months ago, we started "sleep training" her so she could fall asleep on her own and not wake up so much in the night*.  Among other things, this invloved not running up and coddeling her every time she cried in her crib.  For the first couple of weeks she'd just get furious and start screaming and screaming, sometimes for an hour or more.  After a while, she'd just collapse, and we'd find her sleeping in the weirdest positions, like with her butt sitting on the crib, but her torso and head lying on her side.

* This is something I didn't know about kids until I had one.  They actually can't easily fall asleep on their own when they're young.  They get used to falling asleep while being rocked, so if you plop them in their crib, they just get pissed when you walk out of sight.

Babies are freaking amazing for little guys that need constant attention.  :D

Also, your pic in the Real Life Pic thread with her basically inspired me to get going on a campaign that's based around a extremely cute dragon baby. Adventurers cannot slay the baby because it's so darned cute. Mindless creatures do not attack it, and instead change its diapers. The baby's cuteness is extraordinary so even an AMF doesn't work!

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
Even prenatally, I'm finding little-Meg is a weird creature.

What I love most though is that babies are born with a personality.  Sure they are affected by what is around, but they come into the world with a sense of individuality.  So cool.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 03:55:22 PM »
Even prenatally, I'm finding little-Meg is a weird creature.

What I love most though is that babies are born with a personality.  Sure they are affected by what is around, but they come into the world with a sense of individuality.  So cool.
Oh!  For some reason, I thought you were still pregnant.  I didn't know you'd had your baby.  Congrats!

Yeah, they develop a personality pretty quickly.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 04:00:30 PM »
Heck, I hadn't known Meg had been pregnant at all!

Shows me how much attention I've been paying the last few months.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 04:29:11 PM »
Still pregnant- 4 weeks now.  That's why I said "prenatally"-- as in, still in my belly.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 04:41:08 PM »
Still pregnant- 4 weeks now.  That's why I said "prenatally"-- as in, still in my belly.

I was about to say.

So I guess Kuro, you didn't read the "guess my baby daddy" thing eh? :P And the stuff about the 4th BG coming up.

Although 4 weeks sounds a bit short now...

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 05:08:02 PM »
That's what happens when  I miss a word.

So, I guess my first assumption was correct, but I made an ass out of myself by not reading exactly what you had posted.  :embarrassed

I hope everything goes well for you guys.  I imagine by this point the anticipation is killing you.  With a month left, my wife couldn't wait for it to be over.  Still, enjoy these next four weeks and the sleep you will get. :smirk
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 05:13:24 PM »
As a bonus, if you have cats, you can add a new interesting dynamic!
On a side note, cats add a whole lot to the equation.

She is very interested in other children and animals, and our cats are no exception.  Half of the time she sees them within ten feet of her, she'll immediately go into kitty-hunting mode, chasing them around the room yelling "cat" over and over (well, it comes out more like "gat", "gack", or "gah", but she's pretty consistant, so we know what she's trying to say).  If she does catch one, she "pets" them by beating the shit out of them with alternating slaps until she gets sick of it and starts pulling their fur.

Now, before you go on thinking I'm a total sociopath, I don't normally let her antagonize our cats this way.  Typically I'm holding her, trying to demonstrate how to pet the kitties "nicely".  But, every now and then, she outruns us, or one of the cats gets stupid enough to lay down next to her. :smirk
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 05:30:45 PM »

She is very interested in other children and animals, and our cats are no exception.  Half of the time she sees them within ten feet of her, she'll immediately go into kitty-hunting mode, chasing them around the room yelling "cat" over and over (well, it comes out more like "gat", "gack", or "gah", but she's pretty consistant, so we know what she's trying to say).  If she does catch one, she "pets" them by beating the shit out of them with alternating slaps until she gets sick of it and starts pulling their fur.

Now, before you go on thinking I'm a total sociopath, I don't normally let her antagonize our cats this way.  Typically I'm holding her, trying to demonstrate how to pet the kitties "nicely".  But, every now and then, she outruns us, or one of the cats gets stupid enough to lay down next to her. :smirk

That's better than my one year old little sister.  She decides to play Godzilla and tries to step on them!   :o
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 06:02:27 PM »

That's better than my one year old little sister.  She decides to play Godzilla and tries to step on them!   :o

According to family, I used to throw them. At the TV usually, but on occasion at another person. Cats hated me when I was little.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 07:17:51 PM »
No pets when I was a baby, only after.

Plus my family has always loved dogs more, which pisses me off to no end... dogs have very little personality.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 10:33:45 PM »
Babies are indeed fun.  My son just turned 2, and he's a wonder.  His favorite word is 'truck'.  Everything with wheels is by definition a truck to him.  Motorcycle?  Truck.  Mommy's sedan?  Truck.  Daddy's pickup?  Truck.  Now if I could only get him to pronounce it properly.  Every time something with wheels enters his field of view, he starts yelling out "FWUCK!  FWUCK!". 

It was fun explaining that to the daycare teachers.....

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 10:35:52 PM »
Babies are indeed fun.  My son just turned 2, and he's a wonder.  His favorite word is 'truck'.  Everything with wheels is by definition a truck to him.  Motorcycle?  Truck.  Mommy's sedan?  Truck.  Daddy's pickup?  Truck.  Now if I could only get him to pronounce it properly.  Every time something with wheels enters his field of view, he starts yelling out "FWUCK!  FWUCK!". 

It was fun explaining that to the daycare teachers.....

A friend of mine has a nephew who loves trucks too!

Maybe it's an Optimus Prime thing?

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]