Author Topic: Min/Max some superheroes  (Read 15065 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Min/Max some superheroes
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2009, 10:48:16 AM »
Huh.....not too shabby. What about a mechanic to represent the Hulk's rage ("madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets")

That would be the Cancer Mage's festering anger.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Smokey_the_bear

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »
I've been trying to get Hulk to work, and I've got some sort of a concept working, wondering what you guys think about the legitimacy.

Bruce Banner is Barbarian 1/Cancer Mage 1/Wizard XXX. Rearranged and take prestiges as you see fit, be sure to get 9th level spells. You take Craft Contingency.

To start:
1. Genesis yourself a demiplane that moves REALLY REALLY fast in the time stream. As fast as it can go. (this is the biggest issue, how fast can I make it RAW?)

When you rage, your contingencies start to go off:
1. You Plane Shift to your plane.
2. You give yourself Festering Rage.
3. You Astrally Project back to the battlefield.
4. You Polymorph in a War Troll or something thematic.
5. FIGHT!
6. When rage runs out, Cure Disease.

Hypothetically, the per/day basis of Festering Rage stacks super fast due to you being on the faster demiplane, but you act as if you're in the normal time stream.

What this achieves for The Hulk:
1. You're still Bruce Banner! Everyone knows that scientists are Wizards.  :P
2. When you rage, you get NI strong, which as some of you may know, is actually what the Hulk does.
3. When your rage is over, you lose your strength.
4. Thematically you act similar to the Hulk, transforming into something bigger and getting super strong, then taking damage when you are done.

EDIT: Gestalt makes this work a lot better too. You're able keep 9th level spells and get things like Frenzied Berserker and Fist of the Forest.
:clap

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2009, 03:51:52 PM »
How about we see what some simple psionics can accomplish for Mr. Banner.

Human Ardent 17/Hulking Hurler 3
Str 8, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 20 (+1 at 4th, 8th, 12th and 16th), Cha 12
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike & Supreme Unarmed Strike, Earth Power (and the prerequisite feat), Link Power, Extend Power and any other feats that qualify or enhance your hulking hurler levels.

Hulking Out
Metamorphosis into (with access only to d20srd.com) into a Cloud Giant (7 p.p. [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 minutes)
Str 35, Dex 13, Con 23, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 12
Animal Affinity both your Constitution, Intelligence and Charisma  (13 p.p. [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 minutes)
Str 35, Dex 13, Con 27, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 16
Psychofeedback (2 manifestings) both your Intelligence and Charisma into Strength (9 [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 rounds)
Str 65, Dex 13, Con 27, Int 3, Wis 20, Cha 3
Psionic Iron Body (15 [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 minutes)
Str 70, Dex 7, Con 27, Int 3, Wis 20, Cha 3

Finishing Touches
True Metabolism (15 [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 minutes)
Schism, Bestow Power and dominant ideal to set-up a p.p. recharge battery
Timeless Body (for when the nukes fall)

This not only gives you the impressive strength score of the Hulk but also the regeneration/defensive capabilities as well as the opportunity to act as Bruce Banner in a legitimate manner. 

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2009, 04:04:42 PM »
The Hulk has a high dex score, he also has a higher Str score. He technically has an NI Strength score. But as far as avoiding infinates, I think that's a really good Hulk build. It's a lot more interesting then the super boring Rage/Frenzy/Primal/Berserk builds.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »
I've always liked some variation of bear warrior for the Hulk, expect for not turning into a bear but something else.

factotum3/barbarian2/warmind5/bearwarrior5/frenziedberserker5 or even factotum3/barbarian5/warmind5/frenziedberserker10, factotum covering the Bruce Banner/Smart Hulk part.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Mr Fix-it build

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2009, 05:06:17 PM »
How about we see what some simple psionics can accomplish for Mr. Banner.

Human Ardent 17/Hulking Hurler 3
Str 8, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 20 (+1 at 4th, 8th, 12th and 16th), Cha 12
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike & Supreme Unarmed Strike, Earth Power (and the prerequisite feat), Link Power, Extend Power and any other feats that qualify or enhance your hulking hurler levels.

Hulking Out
Metamorphosis into (with access only to d20srd.com) into a Cloud Giant (7 p.p. [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 minutes)
Str 35, Dex 13, Con 23, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 12
Animal Affinity both your Constitution, Intelligence and Charisma  (13 p.p. [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 minutes)
Str 35, Dex 13, Con 27, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 16
Psychofeedback (2 manifestings) both your Intelligence and Charisma into Strength (9 [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 rounds)
Str 65, Dex 13, Con 27, Int 3, Wis 20, Cha 3
Psionic Iron Body (15 [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 minutes)
Str 70, Dex 7, Con 27, Int 3, Wis 20, Cha 3

Finishing Touches
True Metabolism (15 [free widen with dominant ideal] for 34 minutes)
Schism, Bestow Power and dominant ideal to set-up a p.p. recharge battery
Timeless Body (for when the nukes fall)

This not only gives you the impressive strength score of the Hulk but also the regeneration/defensive capabilities as well as the opportunity to act as Bruce Banner in a legitimate manner. 

:clap

Hulk doesn't necessarily have a high dex at all. He's not all that fast or agile. Or smart. His biggest qualities are his strength that increases the angrier he gets and his durability which does the same. I like this. You just need to boost that con score.

Funny how Berserkers etc are boring when they match Hulk? I mean "HULK SMASH".. He's not the most articulate guy is he? Or smart.. unless he is in Bruce Banners body which is when he is not HULK. Bruce Banner loses all his intelligence when he gets angry which is why alot of people see FB's in there. I cannot see HULK using spells at all. But in saying that bearsarebrown has a fascinating concept. Perhaps this could be better applied to some-one like Flash (speed) or Thor (For strength, speed and durability)?
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2009, 05:31:29 PM »
The Flash

monk11/psi-fist9

100' base speed with quick trait, double that with hustle, can move 500' a round when running and with hustle
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:42:53 PM by ninjarabbit »

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2009, 05:36:03 PM »
The Flash

monk11/psi-fist9

90' base speed, double that with hustle, can move 450' a round when running and with hustle
Shadow creature template + Run?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2009, 05:39:30 PM »
The Flash

monk11/psi-fist9

90' base speed, double that with hustle, can move 450' a round when running and with hustle
Shadow creature template + Run?

You could also use some of the more optimized Chuck builds if you disregard the errata that makes it unworkable. Literally running faster then the speed of light seems like it would fit the flash more.

Nameless Void

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
Yes thats true but how to do this..? Possibly with Blade Dancer (OA) in there as well. What is a Chuck build?

An extremely high dex. Spring Attack line of Feats.

Making him near impossible to hit would require Robliars Gambit and Evasive Reflexes. With Elusive Target to minimise attacks that do actually hit. Improved Trip and Defensive Throw as well (he did trounce Superman by using his own strength against him).

bearsarebrown had a great idea with his Bruce Banner build. Could this be adapted to boost speed Mr bearsarebrown?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:52:53 PM by Nameless Void »
Quote from: Solo on MW
Optimizing is the antithesis of roleplaying because it takes focus away from the important parts of the game.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2009, 06:18:44 PM »
Hulk doesn't necessarily have a high dex at all. He's not all that fast or agile. Or smart. His biggest qualities are his strength that increases the angrier he gets and his durability which does the same. I like this. You just need to boost that con score.

But he does have a high Dex. DnD's physical stat system doesn't work like either Comic Books or Real Life. Agility and speed are dependent on how strong you are.

And the reason rage stacking is boring is because it's simple and only fits a single aspect of the hulk, not many of them. Also, he wouldn't be casting spells while he was Hulking, because he's raging, he can't cast :P

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2009, 01:53:24 PM »
Yes thats true but how to do this..? Possibly with Blade Dancer (OA) in there as well. What is a Chuck build.

A build that uses the footsteps of the divine spell from the spell compendium along with DMM persist to make it last all day. Then using the spells special ability to use up the spell in one round to gain a bonus to speed equal to +5x the remaining rounds in the spells duration. Then it is combined with swordsage maneuvers to use that huge move speed offensively, usually combining cleric and ruby knight vindicator. Practical build usually break the sound barrier at a run while the most optimized one can break the light speed barrier.