Author Topic: 3.5 Rebuild Poll 21  (Read 4369 times)

Sirperry

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Pbbbbth !
    • Email
Re: 3.5 Rebuild Poll 21
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
Another vote for negative Con.
There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

vermithrx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 02:21:15 PM »
Essentially, yeah. That particular death mechanism is counterintuitive to many, though I dare say it's a fine optional rule. Just not as the default.
I suppose that depends on what role most people expect the mechanics to play. Combat is a tool for conflict resolution within the context of a story the players and GM are working together to create. Do we want it to adjudicate the outcome of a given conflict or who gets to decide that outcome?

Pteryx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 11:00:59 PM »
-Con seems like too little, -50% too little in the short term (especially for wizards and the like, who need it most) and way too much later...  We may need both a flat and a scaling component here.  -- Pteryx

vermithrx

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2009, 01:32:47 AM »
-Con seems like too little, -50% too little in the short term (especially for wizards and the like, who need it most) and way too much later...  We may need both a flat and a scaling component here.
Alternatively, give all level 1 characters and CR 1 creatures 4 hit die to start with, sort of like skill points are handled. Then we can use a scaling modifier without worrying. This also opens up the possibility of sending moderately sized groups of "-CR" creatures at low level characters to vary things up.

I can see it now... "Yes, you heard me right guys. The 15 irate orc toddlers and their bereaved mothers are trying to kill you."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2009, 03:35:56 AM »
-Con seems like too little, -50% too little in the short term (especially for wizards and the like, who need it most) and way too much later...  We may need both a flat and a scaling component here.
Alternatively, give all level 1 characters and CR 1 creatures 4 hit die to start with, sort of like skill points are handled. Then we can use a scaling modifier without worrying. This also opens up the possibility of sending moderately sized groups of "-CR" creatures at low level characters to vary things up.

I can see it now... "Yes, you heard me right guys. The 15 irate orc toddlers and their bereaved mothers are trying to kill you."
Yeah, I'm in agreement with that. Sorta.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 01:15:46 AM »
We've always done a slight modification of the standard rule. Instead of dying at -10, you die after you reach -Con.  So a Barbarian with 18 Con would die at -19.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
We've always done a slight modification of the standard rule. Instead of dying at -10, you die after you reach -Con.  So a Barbarian with 18 Con would die at -19.
That doesn't seem too bad...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"