Author Topic: 3.5 Rebuild Poll Part 18  (Read 1680 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
3.5 Rebuild Poll Part 18
« on: October 31, 2009, 07:44:12 AM »
If you were rebuilding 3.5, would you keep iterative attacks?  And if so what form would they take?

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: 3.5 Rebuild Poll Part 18
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:47:55 AM »
I think extra attacks, by default are unnecessary, leave it to the particular class in question to gain or not gain extra attacks by dint of their class features.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »
As always, I both like and dislike iterative attacks.

One thing I like about it is that it makes me feel as though I have contributed something during my turn, while striking a middle ground between feeling useless and doing too much.

Let me elaborate. Say I am a warblade using a standard-action strike. When I attack, one of two things happen. Either I hit for a lot of damage, or I miss and do nothing.

But the way iterative attacks are structured, I typically hit with my 1st 1-2 attacks (possibly 3 with haste), and miss with my remaining 2. So I don't feel like my turn was a complete waste. It is a good way of spreading out the damage so combat does not become too binary.

But I dislike that you are more or less expected to miss with your iterative attacks, and that many attacks tend to bog down the game. I am thinking that perhaps we should follow the decisive strike monk variant in PHB2. Mathematically speaking, I think that +20/+15/+10/+5 is roughly equivalent to +20/+20 (according to a study done at enworld).

So give combat classes fewer but more meaningful attacks.  :)

A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 10:50:02 AM »
If I were rebuilding 3.5, I'd keep iterative attacks, because I think the only harm they cause in and of themselves is extra rolling.  I don't think that makes them bad enough to drop.

I would probably cap the penalty at -5 for all iteratives, and possibly remove it all together.  So, a 20th level fighter's attack routine would either look like 20/15/15/15 or maybe even 20/20/20/20.

Casters don't take penalties when they start acquiring multiple targets.  Why should non-casters?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 03:04:13 PM »

Let me elaborate. Say I am a warblade using a standard-action strike. When I attack, one of two things happen. Either I hit for a lot of damage, or I miss and do nothing.

But the way iterative attacks are structured, I typically hit with my 1st 1-2 attacks (possibly 3 with haste), and miss with my remaining 2. So I don't feel like my turn was a complete waste. It is a good way of spreading out the damage so combat does not become too binary.

Brilliant analysis  :clap

I love them personally. I just want them to hit more. Further I don't want to see the game "ONLY" include standard action strikes, I know that there's enough room for Barbarians/Fighters and Those Martial Manuever guys.
So something like what robby says is what I would go with.
I'd probbably make it a standard action do use them all, also.
Though really thats just optional. Especially if you make martial manuevers more available to folks.
Still something like 20-15-15-15 would really help Warrior types alot.

It really decreases the item drain to increase your to hit as well.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 03:08:44 AM »
I would also implement iterative attacks along the lines of manyshot. You can make more attacks, but each imposes a cumulative attack penalty.

So at 6th lv, you could opt to attack at +6 or +4/+4. At 11th lv, you could attack at +11, +9/+9 or +7/+7/+7. Likewise, at lv16, +16, +14/+14, +12/+12/+12/ or +10/+10/+10/+10. This ensures that all your attacks have a fair chance of hitting, so you don't ever feel like you are really rolling just for the sake of it (in the chance that a natural 20 might turn up).

This also has the benefit of letting you remove the cap of 4 attacks at epic lvs, since all your attacks would be made at your highest bab (plus a penalty).
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
I hate that without pounce or something similar that you can only move 5' if you want to make all those attacks.  Make it so you have a greater range of movement, say an extra 5' per extra attack

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 04:37:23 PM »
I think maybe itteratives would work best as a class feature (or a feat, or both) for combat oriented classes.  BAB (or whatever) improves as normal, but you get itteratives based on feats/class features, probably feats to keep the level-appropriate numbers.

Then again, the way they work now is only a little off, and either a -2 each time or a flat -5 would work, but not a cumulative -5.  Or the way Runestar suggested.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.