Author Topic: Dwarf Defender DR  (Read 1345 times)

Braithwaite

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Dwarf Defender DR
« on: October 30, 2009, 05:28:18 PM »
Is the Dwarven Defender DR (DMG 187) actually different by RAW from any other DR? Does its wording (each blow or ATTACK, each time he is dealt damage) imply that it works against spells and spell-likes (under the rule that specific trumps general), or is it just DR x/-?

I think that it is at best a RAI question, and that the weight leans against the Defender, but I am told that the text is clear that the DD'd DR is good against any source of damage.

Am I crazy?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 05:30:27 PM by Braithwaite »

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Re: Dwarf Defender DR
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »
You!

'Sup?

RAW says it's an exception to the DR rules, but spell damage still ignores it because it doesn't specify that it applies to those effects, unless they are attacks. If no attack roll is needed, then RAW says it won't apply. Force Effects ignore DR automatically IIRC.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Braithwaite

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »
RAW says it's an exception to the DR rules, but spell damage still ignores it because it doesn't specify that it applies to those effects, unless they are attacks. If no attack roll is needed, then RAW says it won't apply. Force Effects ignore DR automatically IIRC.

That is a third interpretation that I brought up. I still think it might be standard DR, but I think the attack role rule is at least as good as "anything that does damage is an attack".

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »

That is a third interpretation that I brought up. I still think it might be standard DR, but I think the attack role rule is at least as good as "anything that does damage is an attack".

The difference is I'm working off of Sneak Attack. Effects that don't require an attack roll aren't considered an attack for Sneak Attack, thus a little logical extension applies it to the DD's DR (which has the same clause).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Braithwaite

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:51:32 PM »
There is text supporting that view in the PHB definition of Attack.