Author Topic: HELP KILL MY CHARACTER! (...or help me stop you)  (Read 20783 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: HELP KILL MY CHARACTER! (...or help me stop you)
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2009, 12:53:27 PM »
Doesn't sound very vengeful to me.

-Why is your spirit eternally bound to this mortal plane, wandering everywhere suffering eternally, what could be the great drive that prevented you from passing on!!!

- For the lulz mostly... also... free ethereal candY!!

Sooner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Human Factotum 1 - D&D Focus
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »

Counterstrategy:
*Have the reason be because he wanted to see if anyone could possibly "kill" him now that he was incorporeal.

Nice I like it. Though what if someone did "kill" you? Would that satisfy your desire to move on thus making your "revive in 3 days" thing pointless?

Tenebrous Apostate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2009, 12:57:41 PM »
Someone could turn into a shadow demon via shapechange cast a few spells to boost his hit and target you with a good dispel or 2. most of your AC will be lost and nothing helps against vile damage. the demon is incorporeal so it can follow you under the floor and shapachange does not state that you lose spellcasting ability so he can cast a spell and follow you when ethereal 2 and tear you to ectoplasmic tatters. The real fun is when you try to posses someone. I know it's 3.0 but imprison possesor and impotent possesor from BoVD could really put you down permenently and irrevocably
Dead mortals feel no Dread

Kal Zakath

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2009, 04:51:48 PM »
taking the point that many have posted, which is that it IS in fact possible to touch your AC, a combination of spark of life followed by an unname spell would kill you permanently.

on a side note, i am not sure whether the spark of life spell is necessary, it allows a fort save. So by RAW you are immune, however, from the description, RAI it should work, at least how i read it. But then again, this is min/max it. so rules as written rules.

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2009, 05:50:58 PM »
taking the point that many have posted, which is that it IS in fact possible to touch your AC, a combination of spark of life followed by an unname spell would kill you permanently.

on a side note, i am not sure whether the spark of life spell is necessary, it allows a fort save. So by RAW you are immune, however, from the description, RAI it should work, at least how i read it. But then again, this is min/max it. so rules as written rules.

"Immune to everything that requires a fort save" is an inaccurate generalization.

Last I checked, nothing is immune to everything that requires a certain kind of save, even if the undead and constructs in core appeared to be damn near every fort save thing published at the time. There are spells and other abilities that target undead and/or constructs specifically and give a fort save (Although I think will saves are more common) just as there are non-necromantic spells or abilities that offer a fort save (Disintegrate being an obvious one)

Also, while the touch ac is hittable, the save DC won't be high enough without heavy DC optimization.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:10:43 PM by Bloody Initiate »
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2009, 06:00:45 PM »
Could we not also use the Hindsight trick to kill him before he became a Ghost? Just a playful thought.

Handy Links

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »
To work on this one point at a time, I'll start from the back and work forward. He keeps showing back up perhaps Soul bind will provide us answers:
Soul Bind
Necromancy
Level:    Clr 9, Sor/Wiz 9
Components:    V, S, F
Casting Time:    1 standard action
Range:    Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target:    Corpse
Duration:    Permanent
Saving Throw:    Will negates
Spell Resistance:    No

You draw the soul from a newly dead body and imprison it in a black sapphire gem. The subject must have been dead no more than 1 round per caster level. The soul, once trapped in the gem, cannot be returned through clone, raise dead, reincarnation, resurrection, true resurrection, or even a miracle or a wish. Only by destroying the gem or dispelling the spell on the gem can one free the soul (which is then still dead).
Focus

A black sapphire of at least 1,000 gp value for every Hit Die possessed by the creature whose soul is to be bound. If the gem is not valuable enough, it shatters when the binding is attempted. (While creatures have no concept of level or Hit Dice as such, the value of the gem needed to trap an individual can be researched. Remember that this value can change over time as creatures gain more Hit Dice.)

While it explicitly lists the ways of resing a creature in a normal game it does also have a catch all that i think would apply (bolded above). So am I right or wrong that Soul Bind would prevent him from making it back to undeath?

I hear you now, "but how did you get his body?". That my dear friend is a simple Miracle/Wish since all we are really doing is moving an object from some other plane to our current location, i'm sure that falls within the grey areas these spells provide. (if he can find a way here then so can his body)

So now we have the body and a way to prevent him from coming back, assuming we could find a 12k black sapphire which we should if we are playing with good CO. On to making him re-dead.

Killing would just be a jacked up turn undead attempt. to avoid allowing saves or wasted actions. His defense is a spell and thus would be dispelled just before the attempt, hell why not just Disjunction him for good measure.

Combat:r1- Wizard cast Disj. Cleric does Turn undead destroying ghost.
r2- Wish/Miracle to bring in body and start calling friends for circle magic.
r3+ 15 rounds to make you fail the save and your stuck in a gem forever. We just need to secure it safely, see the threads for hiding a lich's phylactory. My personal favorite is summon a poor critter have it hold it then cast imprisonment.

If I missed any defenses sorry but I didn't comb back through it to find anything i could have missed.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Cephid Arcanis

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2009, 08:55:07 PM »
And getting the full round attack? What if the archer has celerity, greater? Or tome stop

Um, it was just a response to Alastar. If someone wants to make a gish with greater celerity as a readied action and uses woodland archery with splitting force bow and can make heaps off attacks then that would probably work just fine.
And you can't attack someone during a timestop.
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2009, 08:57:02 PM »
Island in time is similar.  So it'd be able to.

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2009, 09:40:54 PM »
- For the lulz mostly... also... free ethereal candY!!

Yep, it was always for the candy!

Soul Bind
Necromancy
The subject must have been dead no more than 1 round per caster level. 

If I missed any defenses sorry but I didn't comb back through it to find anything i could have missed.
Yep, my super secret defence of being dead for a long time... ;)

Island in time is similar.  So it'd be able to.

Wait a minute...
*re-reads Island in time a few times*
...but...
...damn!

hahaha. I can't believe you did it without any spell casting!

The 'Fight':
A fit looking young elf with cool bow is walkng around completly oblivious to the cunning demi-immortal which lurks bellow him.

The Vengefull spirit observes the feeble mortal creature, soon to be dancing to his tunes before throwing himself laughing from the nearest cliff or burying himself alive.

He waits until the elf has but down his shiny bow and makes a nice cup of tea: the perfect moment!

Just as the elf puts the tea to his lips the spirit rises from the floor. Glaring at his toy-to-be he strikes out with his mind. (surprise round: Malevolence)

The elf feels the dark aura's drain at his soul (saves/skills get reduced)
The impossibly deep and powerful eyes of the creature tear at his mind (Corrupting Gaze & Horrific Appearance drain the elf who fails his saves)
He feels the mind of the spirit attempting to gain dominance over his body.
The whispers of his ascestors speak to him of a a battle one of them lost to this same spirit five centuries ago. (Island in time)
In an instant the bow flies into the elf's strong grip (crystal of return)
The elf rembers the subtle weaknesses of such spirits (knowledge devotion) and lets loose the first arrow of force at point blank range which splits in two.
The demi-immortal spirit with his unmatched reflexes watches each arrow pass through the air towards him moving gracefully aside as the force arrows  disappear off into the distance (and into an orphanage)
Again and again the elf lets loose under the guidance of his ancestors. Each arrow passing closer and closser to the possor spirit.
The spirit sways and turns avoiding each arrow, but each time the margin closes, until finally *SLAM* a splinter of force a yard long tears through his incorporeal body. Impossible!
Again and again force splinters pierce him until at last one passes through his head.
Panacking, the spirit feels his Necrotic reserve surging through him, holding him together until...
*SLAM* a final splinter of force severs the spirit from his un-life.

Well done Alastar. And with a build you already made too.
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
yah, i love that build ^^  really have to play it one day :D

Love the description ! specially the orphanage part ! :D

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2009, 09:55:07 PM »
Love the description ! specially the orphanage part ! :D

Of course you do ya sick puppy!  ;)

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2009, 12:45:09 AM »
Thanks for all your help with this one guys. He has come a long way.

What other final pointers have you got before this thread dissappears into the void?

Any other defencive bits?
More offence?
Final levels?

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2009, 12:53:15 AM »
Battledancer from Dragon Magazine Compendium for Cha to AC again. Only need one level. Base class so no prereq. Hell, just go to

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=215.0

and cherry pick from the Cha table.

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2009, 01:51:59 AM »
Battledancer from Dragon Magazine Compendium for Cha to AC again. Only need one level. Base class so no prereq.

Would love to but dragon mag is cheesie as.

Hell, just go to
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=215.0
and cherry pick from the Cha table.
That's exactly what I've been doing! I really want to get Mystic Wanderer but I need to cast 2nd level divine spells.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2009, 02:38:14 AM »
So it stacking attribute bonuses  :P

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2009, 09:16:13 AM »
So it stacking attribute bonuses  :P

People do it all the time, just not as well  ;)
And you just wait for version 2! It's on the way and could be unstopable.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2009, 10:16:58 AM »
Dragon Compendium is all WotC...

Handy Links

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »
And yes, you would only die temporarily. But as it's been said before, there is no CO that can stop that, because its an RP restriction.
Hunter of the Dead PrC kills undead permanently.

That said, given that you can recreate a disintegrated corpse with wish, no issues with that there.

And if your corpse is gone, then you're not allowed (RAW) to wear equipment.  Good luck.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 09:46:05 PM by The_Mad_Linguist »
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.