Author Topic: Need some help with a chameleon.  (Read 1910 times)

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
Need some help with a chameleon.
« on: October 29, 2009, 07:11:02 PM »
Iv been thinking about playing a changeling Factotum/Chameleon, but while reading up in the chameleon, i found something i simply do not understand.

Under Aptitude Focus it says the following. "An aptitude focus ability is usable once per day at 1st level, twice per day at 5th level, and three times per day at 10th level."

But when i look at the class, all i can find are Aptitude Focus that gives persisten 24 hour abilities, such as spell casting, or some minor stealth or combat benefits.

Could someone please help explain to me what those aptitude focus abilities are that i can use 1/2/3 times per day?
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Need some help with a chameleon.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:46:14 PM »
Once you have more than one use, you can change your focus during the day.  Other than that the uses/day don't matter (until you get the ability to adopt more than one focus at a time)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:50:52 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Lo77o

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:41:29 PM »
Are you thinking of the second part of aptitude focus "At 5th level, you can change your aptitude focus one time per day, and at 10th level you can change your aptitude focus two times per day"

I understand that part... but the first part makes no sense to me.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 09:09:37 PM »
Are you thinking of the second part of aptitude focus "At 5th level, you can change your aptitude focus one time per day, and at 10th level you can change your aptitude focus two times per day"

I understand that part... but the first part makes no sense to me.
That's exactly what it is.  Additional uses of the Aptitude Focus ability mean changing the Focus (or adopting a second once you gain that ability)
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Lo77o

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 09:30:40 PM »
So at level 10 i can change my focus 3 times 2 times per day? That makes no sense to me.

Im not trying to be a dick, but honestly, i just dont understand it.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 10:13:54 PM »
You can adopt a focus 3/day at 10th level.  Now, you can either adopt a focus and change it twice or adopt two focuses and change one of them once each day.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Freshums

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 12:26:02 AM »
So at level 10 i can change my focus 3 times 2 times per day? That makes no sense to me.

Im not trying to be a dick, but honestly, i just dont understand it.

Normally, at the beginning of the day, you pick a focus and you're stuck with it for 24 hours or so.
At level 5, you're able to pick a different focus with 10 minutes (?) of meditation or somewhat.
At level 10, you are able to change your focus a second time.

Ex) At level 10
Day Begins:
"Okay, I feel like hitting stuff today. I think I'll take the Warrior's focus!"

Middle of the day after an encounter:
"Being able to hit stuff more often and harder is pretty neat, but I got a bit beat up in that fight.
I could probably use some healing...I know, I'll take the Divine focus!"

Evening of day after more encounters:
"Wow! I can't believe I used all of my prepared spells for cure-types and ended up using them all!
I think it's time for me to just be good at everything, because I'm just too damn fantastic...I'll take the Arcane focus!"

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 06:01:20 AM »
There's a really nice version of this class at Dicefreaks, called the Red Mage, and includes more systems, as they weren't available/released when RoD was.  Combat Focus is changed to ToB-based, Wild Focus and Stealth Focus are worth taking, and he also added a Psionic Focus.  Good all around character.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Tsabrak

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »
Lo77o, I am currently playing a 16th level Factotum/Chameleon and I can say that the extra "uses" of aptitude focus have been mostly useless for me; however double aptitude was a HUGE benefit.  If it's helpful, here's my build:

Human Swashbuckler 3/Factotum 3/Chameleon 10  (if this campaign was going to 20, I'd have only gone to Chameleon 9 and finished out Factotum to 8)
Feats
Able Learner, Nymph's Kiss, Keen Intellect, Knowledge Devotion, Font of Inspiration (X3), Arcane Strike

(Expeditious retreat alternative class feature for Swashbuckler by the way)

My favorite floating feats have been: Trickery Devotion, Battle Blessing, Dimensional Jaunt, any Craft feat, and Extra Spell (pending your DM's response to transposing them to a spellbook or not)

Some spells that are huge gets:  Whirling Blade, Thunderlance, Hunter's Eye, plus normal buffs of course! 

I typically roll with Arcane and Divine focus and take a majority of my divine spells as paladin buffs so I can regularly cast two spells a round.  I also was fortunate enough to get a Ring of Wizardry II with this character, and since I've looted Trapsmith, Sandshaper, and Shadowlord spell lists, I have a pretty nice list of 2nd level spells.

Good luck and I think you'll like the character.  I sure did!