Author Topic: "I've made a Huge Mistake" - Items for a god  (Read 2626 times)

Sooner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Human Factotum 1 - D&D Focus
"I've made a Huge Mistake" - Items for a god
« on: October 29, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »
Hello, I guess I should start with the rules for the game. The quote is what I want to have my dm say after he issued the challenge that he would kill our characters quick.

The Setting
Lvl 10 Gestalt 1 Prc at a time
5d6 best 3, plus I rolled well. Well enough to save the stats since I first rolled 2 weeks ago or so
City of the Spider Queen Campaign: Underdark with plenty of wizards and cleric opponents
Everything is allowed besides *obvious* cheese, psionics, Skill tricks, mystic theurge type prcs

[spoiler]The Characters:
Druid / Ninja
Warlock / Bard
Fighter / Paladin / Knight of the Left Hand[/spoiler]

I am going for the Red Raiding Hood or the Dragoon build but modified for no psionics and gestalt. At the moment I have a 18,17,16,15,14,13 (I totally didn't realize that it all lined up until now) for stat modifiers pre level up and character templates. For the moment I am considering two races.

Dragonborn Lesser Asimar +2 Con +2 Cha +2 Wis -2 Dex and Wings

Dragonborn Half-Orc +2 Str +2 Con -2 Dex -2 Int -2 Cha and Wings and Access to Headlong Rush Feat

Being what this is I am leaning towards the Lesser Asimar for the greater total of modifiers gained.

Side One of the Gestalt:
[spoiler] 1. Lion Totem Barbarian (Pounce) (d12 HD) (Full BaB)
 2. Warblade (Maneuvers, Full BaB, d12 HD)
 3. Warblade
 4. Feat Rogue (Bonus Feat)
 5. Feat Rogue
 6. Feat Rogue (Bonus Feat)
 7. Warblade
 8. Warblade
 9. Warblade
10. Warblade[/spoiler]

Side Two (The Fun one):
[spoiler]1. Cloistered Cleric (d6 + Int SPpL, Lore, Additional Spells)
2. Cloistered Cleric
3. Cloistered Cleric
4. Church Inq (Free Bonus Domain, Immunities, Detect Evil as Sp-like Ability)
5. Church Inq
6. Church Inq
7. Church Inq
8. Church Inq
9. Sovereign Speaker (More Domains Yay!)
10. Sovereign Speakers[/spoiler]

The most important missing pieces to actually getting this gen finished up are the items (and the skills they modify). I have 55,000g and I HAVE to spend 20,360 on a Halberd of Vaulting for the bonus damage.

So Q1. What items should I get with my remaining 34,640g?

After that I have a simple question Q2. Barring class features what level do player characters gain new feats?

I'll add more when I take a nap and am thinking a bit clearer plus I can't do skills without int mod or health without con mod so I am at an impasse

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 07:06:04 PM by Sooner »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: "I've made a Huge Mistake" - Items for a god
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 07:11:45 PM »
Make the Haldberd Valourius and don't look back. Double damage for the price of +1, which is already included in the price of the halberd.

Hell, why you even asking this? ahah the Hood guide has everything I can imagine in it  :p it's so comprehensive it's ridiculous.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 07:20:25 PM »
why half orc instead of water orc?
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

Ithamar

• Hong Kong
  • PM me if you're interested in some Arena action!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 07:23:49 PM »
Definitely go with Water Orc.  Especially with those stats, you'll still have decent INT-WIS-CHA even with their racial penalties.
Are you worthy of Ascension?
Always accepting gladiators!  Now with a new and improved rule set!

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:28:18 PM »
Barring class features what level do player characters gain new feats?

I don't think Gestalt changes feat acquisition. You gain a feat at first level, and every level divisible by 3. So you get one at 1, 3, 6, and 9.

4. Feat Rogue (Bonus Feat)
 5. Feat Rogue
 6. Feat Rogue (Bonus Feat)

Feat Rogue gains bonus fighter feats as a fighter, so you'd gain one at the first and second level of the class, but not the third. Might make a difference for prerequisites.

Sooner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Human Factotum 1 - D&D Focus
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »
Feat Rogue gains bonus fighter feats as a fighter, so you'd gain one at the first and second level of the class, but not the third. Might make a difference for prerequisites.

Nice I totally missed that (as fighter) bit, that is awesome. Only need 2 levels and then can go back to warblade

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:04:40 PM »
Also, feat rogue should be at level 1, since you get 4x8 skillpoints that way, instead of 4x4.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »
The quote is what I want to have my dm say after he issued the challenge that he would kill our characters quick.

Lvl 10 Gestalt 1 Prc at a time
Everything is allowed besides *obvious* cheese, psionics, Skill tricks, mystic theurge type prcs

The above strongly points to casters, and to using LA.  I know this isn't at all what you presented, but it meets your request.

Example:
Fun theme build "paragon human of all planes" - Human or Illumian (Uur-Krau):

* Bloodlines 2/Half Shadow/Half Celestial/Half Fiend/Half Fey
    * Generic Expert 2/Generic Arcane Caster 1/Chameleon 7
    * Starts play with 7th level Chameleon abilities! shadow Creature, half fiend (assuming +2 like half celestial), half celestial, & half fey. Most attributes can be around 24+
    * Magic in the blood, Spell Mastery, Uncanny Foresight

You'd have ~+8 to most attributes, casting with CL14 and 5th level spells for both arcane and divine (any spell desired), and tons of perks from templates

Best,
David
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 08:03:41 PM by DavidWL »
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive