Author Topic: Tank building.  (Read 4709 times)

Mushroom Ninja

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Tank building.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 12:07:43 AM »
Since you're mixing 3.0 and 3.5, ask your DM about allowing you to take Knock-Down.  It's a Trip-Tank's best friend.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 12:21:37 PM »
I am not going to cheat.  Simply because my conscious will not allow it.  The barbarian in our gorup is playing a LA 4 dwarf and I already brought it up.  If I did not follow the same rules I would look stupid.  It is still good to know on Mineral warrior and Feral though.  I am still open to any advice.  I would not mind changing DFA to say two more levels of fighter or even psy warrior. As for beast heart adept, I do not know where to place those 5 levels.  Maybe dread commando or something. 

I am curious on multiclassing.  Being human means my highest class level does not count.  From my build i am one class level apart and PrC do not count to multiclassing xp penalities.  But I have read in posts human = free multiclassing.  How exactly does that work? Thanks again all.

Favoured Class (any) means that you can advance any one class, and possibly keep a number of other classes within one level of each other. This is very neat while you keep secondary classes at 1-2 levels, and later maybe at 2-3 levels. Now IMHO the best tank is a guy who has a lot of BFC options while still being able to lay the smack down, and being strong defensively.

If I may suggest some things, as a total sum of classes without a perfected progression: Fighter 2/Crusader3/ Totemist 2/Lion(CC)+Wolf(UA)-Totem Barb2/Cobra-Strike Monk2/Hexblade 3/ Warblade 3/ Psywar2/Warmind1 if you can manage the skill points, or Ardent1, if not;

Feats:
1)EWP(Spiked Chain);
H) Combat reflexes
 Power Attack(Fighter), Improved Bullrush(Fighter)
[Pounce]Barb1
Improved Trip (Barb2),
Dodge(Monk1), Mobility(Monk2); [Evasion] always nice to have
Elusive Target(any after Monk1+2), let's say 12 or 15, but maybe you might replace it with Karmic Strike
Bonus Essentia (after Totemist1), let's say level 6
Midnight  Augmentation (After Totemist and Psywar), now you can reduce Augmentation cost for your Expansion Power with Essentia
Practiced Manifester(any after Psywar1, maybe the bonus feat, if your DM lets you)
Shocktrooper(Psywar2)
Combat Expertise, Cobalt Expertise (somewhere); Let's say 3 and 9.
Azure Talent, let's say 15
(Cobalt Charge), 18 perhaps

Now, you have 1+bonus+Azure Talent + X (being either Psywar3, Ardent1 or Warmind 1) power points, the goal being to get at least two or three Expansions per day with 10minutes/level, ideally more, ideally with a larger size category. With Midnight Augment, you can reduce the cost of that, significantly.

You have 2(totemist)+2(bonus)+1(Azure Talent)+1(Midnight Augment)+1(cobalt Exp)(+1 Cobalt charge) = 7 (8) Essentia. That's a fair amount. Important places to put this are Azure Talent, Midnight Augment and Cobalt expertise.

The product? You're a large or larger spiked chain tripper who can pounce, gets soulmelds to avoid counter-tripping, can control the battlefield with combat ref and thicket of blades, has some offensive maneuvers. In effect, an excellent allrounder at all things melee combat. Karmic Strike or Elusive Target protect you from eating too much damage.

How's that for a tank?

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 05:36:37 AM »

Favoured Class (any) means that you can advance any one class, and possibly keep a number of other classes within one level of each other. This is very neat while you keep secondary classes at 1-2 levels, and later maybe at 2-3 levels. Now IMHO the best tank is a guy who has a lot of BFC options while still being able to lay the smack down, and being strong defensively.

If I may suggest some things, as a total sum of classes without a perfected progression: Fighter 2/Crusader3/ Totemist 2/Lion(CC)+Wolf(UA)-Totem Barb2/Cobra-Strike Monk2/Hexblade 3/ Warblade 3/ Psywar2/Warmind1 if you can manage the skill points, or Ardent1, if not;

Feats:
1)EWP(Spiked Chain);
H) Combat reflexes
 Power Attack(Fighter), Improved Bullrush(Fighter)
[Pounce]Barb1
Improved Trip (Barb2),
Dodge(Monk1), Mobility(Monk2); [Evasion] always nice to have
Elusive Target(any after Monk1+2), let's say 12 or 15, but maybe you might replace it with Karmic Strike
Bonus Essentia (after Totemist1), let's say level 6
Midnight  Augmentation (After Totemist and Psywar), now you can reduce Augmentation cost for your Expansion Power with Essentia
Practiced Manifester(any after Psywar1, maybe the bonus feat, if your DM lets you)
Shocktrooper(Psywar2)
Combat Expertise, Cobalt Expertise (somewhere); Let's say 3 and 9.
Azure Talent, let's say 15
(Cobalt Charge), 18 perhaps

Now, you have 1+bonus+Azure Talent + X (being either Psywar3, Ardent1 or Warmind 1) power points, the goal being to get at least two or three Expansions per day with 10minutes/level, ideally more, ideally with a larger size category. With Midnight Augment, you can reduce the cost of that, significantly.

You have 2(totemist)+2(bonus)+1(Azure Talent)+1(Midnight Augment)+1(cobalt Exp)(+1 Cobalt charge) = 7 (8) Essentia. That's a fair amount. Important places to put this are Azure Talent, Midnight Augment and Cobalt expertise.

The product? You're a large or larger spiked chain tripper who can pounce, gets soulmelds to avoid counter-tripping, can control the battlefield with combat ref and thicket of blades, has some offensive maneuvers. In effect, an excellent allrounder at all things melee combat. Karmic Strike or Elusive Target protect you from eating too much damage.

How's that for a tank?

I like it a lot.  But the thing I have questions about is.  If you are going from barbarian to monk wouldn't that have you lose the barbarian special abilities?  Also can you double totem animal?  If you can then I am going to go levels 2 and 3 lion totem then wolf totem and gain pounce and improved trip.  I am not too worried about feats as I already have Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Stand Still and Extra Granted Manuver. So I got some good starting.  Ty though!

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 07:11:09 AM »
A Monk that stops being lawful can no longer advance as a Monk. That's all.
You can mix Barbarian totems, as long as they don't replace the same class feature.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 03:19:41 AM »
A Monk that stops being lawful can no longer advance as a Monk. That's all.

and honestly, that rule doesn't really make any more sense than bards not being lawful.  Ask the DM to waive it.  Most DM's are reasonable. 

I mean seriously, I've met IRL monks (yes ones that do kung fu), there's nothing particularly lawful about them.  In fact, given how Monks tend to care so much about harmony, the Druid's alignment restrictions would make more sense for monks.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
I will ask my DM this friday about the monk alignment issue.  I think I got a lot of work covered and a good build set up.  Frankly I know I am over building as I am not going to always be in this game.  Still it is fun being a tank.  Next session we are facing the BBEG of the module. It will be a mess as I doubt we will have a solid plan set.  Thank you all and I will keep in touch.

SeekingKnight

• Curious George
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 10:46:51 PM »
*is giddy*  :smirk   Here is a full feat build.

Human with 2 flaws (Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertiese, Stand Still)
1.  Crusader (Extra Granted Manuever)
2.  Ferocious Lion Totem Barbarian
3.  Wolf Totem Barbarian (Improved Trip, Weapon Focus [A good reach tripping weapon.  Like gurisame.)
4.  Overwhelming Attack Monk (Improved Unarmed Strike, Power Attack)
5.  Overwhelming Attack Monk (Improved Bull Rush)
6.  Hexblade (Avatar of Carnage [From Book of Iron Might] or Shock Trooper or Iron Will)
7.  Hexblade
8.  Warblade
9.  Warblade (Iron Heart Aura)
10. Crusader.
11. Vengence Knight [Champions of Ruin]
12. Vengence Knight (Stormguard Warrior)
13. Vengence Knight (Robilar's Gambit)
14. Hexblade
15. Warblade (Armor Specialization [Full Plate] or ShockTrooper)
16. Fighter (Defensive Sweep)
17. Dungeon Crashing Figher
18. Knight (Overwhelming Assault)
19. Knight
20. Knight

Feats at level 6 and 15 can vary depending if I am able to get things like corruption and madness which would help with say getting Iron Will and Short Haft or even Avatar of Carnage.  Also will see if I can use Chaositech to gain mutations to grab Shock Trooper.  If my Dm really lets me I will even be willing to serve an Elder Evil for things like Vile Martial Strike, Chosen of Evil, Evil Brand, Evil's Blessing, and Harvester of Souls.  But have to wait and see.

Avatar of Carnage requires a Cha of 15, Intimidate 8 ranks, and BAB +5.  By whipping yourself into a howling frenzy you give a moral penalty to foes.  Foes of greater level take a -1 penalty. Equal to less your level -2 Penalty.  Half your hit dice or less -2 penalty plus affected as if by cause fear.  All targets get a Will save  to negate effects. (DC= 10 + 1/2 your HD + Cha Mod)  Useable Cha mod times per day for 5 + Cha mod rounds.  Also a +2 competance bonus on Intimidate checks.

Any advice is much appreciated.  And sorry if bringing back a topic from page three is a necro.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 02:29:32 AM by SeekingKnight »