Author Topic: Sode #15: Joys of Min/Maxing  (Read 17150 times)

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
Re: Sode #15: Joys of Min/Maxing
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 06:37:43 PM »
I think I fall into a few of the categories.  Mainly, I want to be the guy that people turn to for solutions (whether that be a teleport across the continent, the removal of a serious affliction, or just plain jack-of-all-trades-ness).  So I guess that makes me a boyscout/swiss army knife.  I enjoy clerics, wizards and bards for this reason.
Advice to gamer girls looking for love: The odds are very good, but the goods are very odd.<br /><br />They call it a clam for a reason.

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 06:43:26 PM »
You need a "Batman" category for your min-maxers.  Their the Boy Scout, Swiss Army Man, Research, and System-Head all rolled into one.  They know everything there is, always have an answer for everything, and the infuriating part is they are ALWAYS RIGHT.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 06:47:45 PM »
You need a "Batman" category for your min-maxers.  Their the Boy Scout, Swiss Army Man, Research, and System-Head all rolled into one.  They know everything there is, always have an answer for everything, and the infuriating part is they are ALWAYS RIGHT.
Me! Me!

Just started listening to the show...

Handy Links

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »
Brilliant Idea for listing the types and making a poll!  I'd have to listen to it again to get them all-- Tshern, if you're listening, could you list them out and put them here so I could make a poll?

I'll definitely make it so you can vote for more than 1-- I fall into at least 3 of the categories myself.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »
At what point are the types mentioned approximately? I've gone through the 4 mins.

Handy Links

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 07:01:54 PM »
At what point are the types mentioned approximately? I've gone through the 4 mins.

They are at about 1/2 way through- a couple before the PSA and then the rest after.  It's after the "why it's good to have/be a min/maxer at the table"

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 07:02:41 PM »
Sure, I'll try to keep my concentration up until that. How many classifications am I facing here?

Handy Links

yellerSumner

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »
After you started joking about how many there were, I felt the need to write them down.  Yes, I don't trust you guys.

System Head
Strategist
Tactician
Tricky Dick
Swiss Army Man
Researcher
Themest
Bob the Builder
Crazy Guy
Mash-Up
Synergy
Record Breaker
Powergamer

I'm glad you guys hit upon why it's better as a GM to have min/maxing players.  On the WotC boards, "OMG! POWERGAMERZ ARE RUINING MY GAME!!!" was always so much louder.

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 07:05:59 PM »
After you started joking about how many there were, I felt the need to write them down.  Yes, I don't trust you guys.
:evillaugh :clap

Excellent.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 07:07:11 PM »
So I don't need to pick them up?

Handy Links

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »
As you are listening, just check the list.  There are 13 on that list and I thought there really were only 12. 

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »
I see, we have a traitor in our midst! (I'd insert a smiley there if I didn't fight against them)

Btw, great show so far.

Edit: LOL! I just used grapple rules as an example in the rant I wrote here and you used it too. Way cool.

Handy Links

yellerSumner

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2008, 07:12:43 PM »
I think I recall the Mash-Up and Synergy being related or something.  You used the gish as examples for both.

The other other way it could've gone would be if Powergamer was really one of them or if it was just more of a "C'mon, sometimes you just want to" type thing.

I'd have to re-listen to be sure.  Not that I won't be re-listening anyway.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 07:15:13 PM by yellerSumner »

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »
 :o I'll never look or pet a unicorn again.  I thought they were supposed to be good :pout.

I like the episode, definatly had some good points, i'll probably have some of my freinds hear this wednesday.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2008, 07:18:53 PM »
Where exactly have you pet a unicorn in the first place?

Handy Links

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
As you are listening, just check the list.  There are 13 on that list and I thought there really were only 12. 

"Powergamer" was the "forbidden" 13th category.
Advice to gamer girls looking for love: The odds are very good, but the goods are very odd.<br /><br />They call it a clam for a reason.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 07:38:49 PM »
I think I recall the Mash-Up and Synergy being related or something.  You used the gish as examples for both.

Mash-Up was where you fill more than one role. Synergy was where you took advantage of your higher BAB by using more spells which required attack rolls.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 07:42:09 PM »
I'd like to note that calling familiars useless in a podcast that Dictum Mortuum might listen can be very dangerous.

Apart from that yellerSumner's list is correct. As noted Powergamer was a 'forbidden' category.

Handy Links

yellerSumner

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:30 PM »

Mash-Up was where you fill more than one role. Synergy was where you took advantage of your higher BAB by using more spells which required attack rolls.

Yeah, that was just trying to account for Meg's memory only recalling 12.

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »
I wonder if anyone is still listening for the other 7 that were promised :P