Author Topic: Review #4: The Savage World of Solomon Kane  (Read 7191 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Review #4: The Savage World of Solomon Kane
« on: June 15, 2008, 08:56:12 PM »
In the second full Origin's review episode, we take a look at the Savage World of Solomon Kane.

http://www.peginc.com/games.html

We love this one and hope it wins the Origin's Award for best new RPG.  It's a 1 on the rating scale:
1= If you are only going to buy 1 book, get this one.
3= If you are going to buy 3 books so you have a "main game" plus a fun pickup, this is the book for you
10= If you are going to get 10 books for a bit more variety, get this one
0= Don't buy it.

Because this is a complete book of a game which could be a long-term campaign and it's really interesting.  Listen to the full review on Monday. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Review #4: The Savage World of Solomon Kane
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 11:11:44 PM »
This review episode is live!  Check it out here:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/blog/34

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Solo Phoenix

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • My deviantArt
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 07:09:15 AM »
The episode is being cut short for me, around the 13:30ish mark, where Meg starts talking about the character sheets...
Advice to gamer girls looking for love: The odds are very good, but the goods are very odd.<br /><br />They call it a clam for a reason.

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »
That was happening for Josh too.  We really hate podbean and are looking to transfer soon.  Download it again and hope it works  :-\

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 06:07:18 PM »
Interesting episode.  Going to check this system out when I get the chance, one of my groups would probably enjoy it.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 03:45:16 AM »
Josh, I remember once back when the WotC forums were well moderated that you kinda went off against the 3E Forgotten Realms' Regional feats.  I don't know whether that stemmed from your inexplicable hatred for Ed Greenwood or not, but do you remember that and would you care to comment on how SWoSK's edges are different?

Was that you?  I don't remember, but big ass threads that collapsed into Latin-phrase throwing contests usually involved you in those days.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 12:36:07 AM »
Josh, I remember once back when the WotC forums were well moderated that you kinda went off against the 3E Forgotten Realms' Regional feats.  I don't know whether that stemmed from your inexplicable hatred for Ed Greenwood or not, but do you remember that and would you care to comment on how SWoSK's edges are different?
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 01:27:45 AM »
Game mechanics intended to tie the character closer to the game world?  Just wondering what makes it work better in SWoSK.

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »
I think "intended" is the key word there in regards to FR.
In SWoSK, the edges are cool first and regional second. There's not an edge for every region and many of the edges have more to do with the feel of the world than with a regional identity.

I think Eberon did a nice job of tying its world to its game mechanics. It is this that I was talking about more than regionalism.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 05:06:54 PM »
Zeke nailed it
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009