Author Topic: A POSSIBLE D&D 3.5 PbP: Any takers?  (Read 21434 times)

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
Re: A POSSIBLE D&D 3.5 PbP: Any takers?
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »
Tshern, i wanted to ask you. Are you ok with the semi-cheesy trick i want to use with my character? I basically want to steal the imp's invisibility and recharge my pool of spells to essentially have endless 2nd level and lower spells (maybe 3rd also, if you allow versatile spellcaster to work like that). It's basically the same thing with what warlocks do. I promise that i won't do anything game-breaking (i don't even now if you can do anything game breaking with that anyway), but if you have a problem i can change/make another character.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2008, 05:53:58 PM »
@aftercresent:I always liked melee clerics, so thats my vote. 
Also, should we just keep using this thread to go about getting the game set up?

How does LA buyoff work in a game where you start at 12th level?  Would xp gained in game be immediately going to the buyoff, or do you come in at a lower level to have already "paid off" your LA?  I've never used that, but if everyone's thinking about a Draconic flavor...
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2008, 05:56:30 PM »
Aftercrescent: Feel free to persist them. As a Cleric you might have some troubles getting your hands on many swift action spells though. Also, you have a mounted charger and a Crusader coming. You going archer?

Quote from: Dictum Mortuum
Tshern, i wanted to ask you. Are you ok with the semi-cheesy trick i want to use with my character? I basically want to steal the imp's invisibility and recharge my pool of spells to essentially have endless 2nd level and lower spells (maybe 3rd also, if you allow versatile spellcaster to work like that). It's basically the same thing with what warlocks do. I promise that i won't do anything game-breaking (i don't even now if you can do anything game breaking with that anyway), but if you have a problem i can change/make another character.
That's reasonable, but I'd like you not to use that in conjunction with Versatile spellcaster. Otherwise that isn't all too gamebreaking given your limited list of spells. All of you might want to talk about these things with other players as well, all don't like same brands of cheese.

Handy Links

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »
Anyone willing to answer that LA buyoff question?

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2008, 05:59:25 PM »
Well we can use it for now. Tshern will likely post in the Current Games thread soon and then Meg will set him up with a child forum and I'll lock this thread and we'll move there...

LA buyoff can get confusing, so I know why Tshern was hesitant at first, but since I love powerful things I've gotten to be a bit of an expert on it. So the first thing is Tshern deciding if we start exactly at 12 or halfway between 12 and 13.

Also: If we go draconic, I'll be seeing if I can't get a skeletal drakelsteed or somesuch skeletal zombie to replace my skeletal warhorse ;)
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »
You will start at level 12 with exact amount of XP needed for that. No more, no less.

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2008, 06:05:36 PM »
66,000 XP it is, then.

Let's say you wanted to buy off Draconic (+1). At level 3 (ECL4) You would pay to buy off the +1 since it is 3 classes x LA. So you pay ECL-1 (3) times 1,000XP and reduce your LA  by +1.  Does that make sense as an example?

Basically if you have no racial HD and a +1 LA template, you start at level 11 with 63,000XP.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Dictum Mortuum

• Hong Kong
  • always female suspects
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2008, 06:08:35 PM »
66,000 XP it is, then.

Let's say you wanted to buy off Draconic (+1). At level 3 (ECL4) You would pay to buy off the +1 since it is 3 classes x LA. So you pay ECL-1 (3) times 1,000XP and reduce your LA  by +1.  Does that make sense as an example?

Basically if you have no racial HD and a +1 LA template, you start at level 11 with 63,000XP.

That's correct. Although if you were actually using normal rules for XP gain you probably would have gotten them back, but i don't think that's fair.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2008, 06:08:52 PM »
66,000 XP it is, then.

And then the thing is, since you bought it off at level 3, you get extra XP at levels 4-12 because you are one level behind. so the XP gap gets narrower and narrower > XP is a river
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Ok, so who's playing what so far? I'm okay with filling in any slots, although I prefer not to have to play the skill monkey, that is one of the few rules that don't really do anything for me...

It appears that Melee/Lockdown, Charger and Archery/Healing have been covered, so I'm currently leaning towards an arcane caster of sorts.
If someone else wants to take that role I'm cool with that, maybe I could build a melee type as well, as if we don't have enough meatsacks already :P
Then again, 2 Wizards doesn't hurt either :)

I'm looking forward to your thoughts, guys :)

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2008, 06:12:14 PM »

Regarding LA buyoff: Wouldnt you get more xp from adventuring than the rest of the party since you are one lvl lower?
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2008, 06:16:02 PM »
Thats how I thought it would work.  I just prefer straight character classes, always seemed more powerful to me.  (Is that a sin on the Op boards?) 
So, are we going with a Draconic flavor?  I kinda like the Undead thing, maybe a Pale Master/Soul eater....

Want to be the arcane masters, Bowen?

Edit : Why the hell (ha) are we thinking about dragons when we're IN Hell?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 06:18:56 PM by Irthos Levethix »

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2008, 06:16:22 PM »

Regarding LA buyoff: Wouldnt you get more xp from adventuring than the rest of the party since you are one lvl lower?
If we were playing levels 4-12, yes. But we're not, so really it's like assuming that you're taking on challenges equal to your new ecl while others take on challenges for their ecl. It's the only fair way to do it.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2008, 06:18:52 PM »
Want to be the arcane masters, Bowen?

Fine with me :)
Now to decide if I'll play a normal GOD wizard or a gish...
Anyone have any preferences? :P

"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2008, 06:20:14 PM »
I don't discriminate. As long as it's undead, I don't mind if it was human, dragon, or troll :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2008, 06:20:23 PM »

If we were playing levels 4-12, yes. But we're not, so really it's like assuming that you're taking on challenges equal to your new ecl while others take on challenges for their ecl. It's the only fair way to do it.
not true, since you will travel with the party and therefore always get more XP than your fellow party members of 1 level higher
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2008, 06:21:23 PM »
Thinking dragons is quite smart actually. After all, Tiamat lives next to the gates of Dis...

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
not true, since you will travel with the party and therefore always get more XP than your fellow party members of 1 level higher
Not true.  Who says we all travel together from level 1 on?  And if so, we're getting less Exp for those levels, you have to remember.

But either way, I doubt we'll all be travelling together from level 4-12. We could each be serving different Lords/dukes/etc. Who know what happened in the past, flavor is mutable and all that crap. It also requires a crapton of excess math when you can just be 3K behind and make it up in-game.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2008, 06:23:31 PM »
Thinking dragons is quite smart actually. After all, Tiamat lives next to the gates of Dis...

Duly noted...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: June 08, 2008, 06:23:59 PM »
My thoughts exactly :)
Haven't had a chance to read through the file yet, but what's the current situation/relation between Dispater and Tiamat?