Author Topic: Minmax me a Jedi  (Read 2273 times)

Balmas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Minmax me a Jedi
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »
This is just something inspired by something I found in Races of the Wild a few days ago. The Hideaway property, a +7500 GP property, can be placed on any weapon, and it folds that weapon down to the size of a handheld tube by pressing a knob on the handle as a free action. Sounds like a lightsaber, right?

So, as an exercise in ingenuity, oh ye of the min-max board, the challenge is this:
Make a jedi-like character who uses a +5 keen brilliant energy hideaway greatsword. 20 levels, 560000 GP (after the +10 weapon), Go.  All books are allowed, and a 32 point buy for abilities.

My initial thought was to go either swordsage or possibly psionic warrior. Thoughts?
"You know, in the old days we relied on ingenuity rather than feats, the strength stat used a forward slash as a decimal point, and there were no such things as Drow.

"I miss the old days." ~Thaco, Goblins

Demons and Angels and Jakkai, oh my! Check out
www.raizap.com/sdamned!

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Minmax me a Jedi
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:23:35 PM »
Wouldn't a lightsaber be a longsword? You can certainly use one in one hand without penalty, and with training (Oversized TWF) you can use two at once.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:39:08 PM »
Lightsabers are finessed. So, either fey-craft or... Samurai levels  :lmao

Desca

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:14:10 AM »

Change its name to a custom template "jedi-craft" :P

Balmas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:44:37 AM »
Okay, how about he uses a +5 brilliant energy hideaway Sun Blade? Happy now?
"You know, in the old days we relied on ingenuity rather than feats, the strength stat used a forward slash as a decimal point, and there were no such things as Drow.

"I miss the old days." ~Thaco, Goblins

Demons and Angels and Jakkai, oh my! Check out
www.raizap.com/sdamned!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 01:00:54 AM »
Conveniently, I already did this. Ok, not really. I built a specific "Jedi". Or more accurately, Sith. Anyway, here's how I'd model Starkiller. This is the format I use for character sheets in Notepad, so it might be a bit confusing, but I'll try to sort it out a bit. Anyway, note that it involves a somewhat... questionable... interpretation of Midnight Augmentation, whereby the augment cost of manifesting a power is decreased, as opposed to the total cost of an augmented power. That's not an argument I'm going to get into here, suffice to say that your DM's mileage may vary. On the other hand, I used this broken interpretation for probably the LEAST ambitious possible goal, boosting my AC, and the net increase in AC is noted in the build, and should be applied to the post-buff stats as well if my memory serves. Anyway, this build is about a year old, so I'm not clear on all the details, and I assume I had some way of quickening the initial Temporal Acceleration. Could use a Belt of Battle somewhere, but oh well. Also assumes an equivalent "Battle Dancer's Belt" to the Monk's Belt. See the Battle Dancer in the Dragon Compendium.

If set in the Star Wars universe, change the favored enemy to Jedi, assuming your DM lets you.

Class Levels, other stuff
[spoiler]Class & Level: Paladin of Slaughter 1/Wilder 4/Paladin of Slaughter +1/Slayer 9/Wilder+1/Anarchic Initiate 3/Elocator
Race: Phrenic Magic-Blooded Azurin (Level Adjustment bought off)
Alignment: CE
Deity: Lord Vader
Size: M[/spoiler]

Ability Scores (32 point buy), Saves, HP, AC, other Misc Info
[spoiler]Strength: 20 (26)
Dexterity: 16 (22)
Constitution: 16 (22)
Intelligence: 10
Wisdom: 8
Charisma: 32 (38)

Fortitude: +8 +3+14+5+1 = +30
Reflex: +7 +3+14+5+1 = +29
Will: +16 +14+9+5+1 = +44

Base Attack Bonus: +17

Spell Resistance: 30

Init: +8

Grapple: +25

Hit Points: 208

*Armor Class: +16 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Deflection, +2 Natural, +15 Cha = 51 (Armor +12 additional if nice Midnight Augmentation)
Touch AC: 47
Flat-Footed AC: 45

Damage Reduction:

Speed: 30
[/spoiler]

Attacks, Skills, Equipment
[spoiler]Attacks: +7 Flaming Collision Lucky Ghost Touch Hunting Greatsword w/ Greater Electricity Assault +32/+27/+22/+17  (2d6+1d6fire+1d6Elec+24+14 Fire)

Skills: Autohypnosis 5 (+7), Concentration 12 (+18), Knowledge (dungeoneering) 4 (+4), Knowledge (the planes) 8 (+8), Knowledge (psionics) 8 (+8), Psicraft 21 (+21), Survival 4 (+3), Tumble 8 (+14)

Armor/Protective Item: +16 Inertial Armor

Shield/Protective Item:

Protective Item:

Other Possessions: Cloak of Charisma +6, Belt of Giant Strength +6/Battle Dancer, Gloves of Dexterity +6/of Heartfelt Blows, Amulet of Health +6, Circlet of Wild Surging, Vest of Resistance +5, Ring of Protection +2, Bracers of Natural Armor +2, Torc of Power Preservation, Ring of Freedom of Movement, Bottle of Air, Everlasting Rations, Everfull Mug, Potion of Lesser Restoration, Psionatrix of Psychokinesis, Tome Of Cha +5, Manual of Dex +2, Manual of Str +2

Money (gp): 200[/spoiler]

Feats, Special Abilities, Powers/Essentia
[spoiler]Feats: Track (B), Quicken Power, Midnight Augmentation, Psicrystal Affinity (Nimble), Practiced Manifester, Expanded Knowledge (B), Power Attack, Psicrystal Containment, Psionic Meditation, Sidestep Charge (B) [Focused], Inattentive - Force of Personality, Shaky - Shape Soulmeld (Lucky Dice)

Special Abilities: Low-Light Vision, (Magic Aura, Read Magic, Defensive Precognition 3/day, Force Screen, Empty Mind, Mind Thrust, Body Adjustment, Brain Lock, Aversion, Blast, Intellect Fortress 3/day, Psychic Crush) CL 10, Aura of Evil, Detect Good, Smite Good 1/day, Divine Grace, Deadly Touch, Wild Surge +3, Psychic Enervation, Elude Touch, Surging Euphoria +1, Favored Enemy (Human) +6, Enemy Sense, Brain Nausea, Lucid Buffer, Cerebral Blind, Breach Power Resistance, Cerebral Immunity, Chaotic Surge, Anarchic Grace, Scorn Earth

Languages: Common

Powers/Essentia: 390 PP, 2 Essentia (1 Invested in Midnight Augmentation, 1 in Lucky Dice)
1: Inertial Armor*, Force Screen, Vigor, Metaphysical Weapon*, Offensive Precognition
2: Energy Stun
4: Psionic Fly, Telekinetic Maneuver
6: Temporal Acceleration
8: True Metabolism
*Already manifested, accounted for in above stats.
40 spent, 110 during first round.[/spoiler]

Tactics
[spoiler]Tactic:
Round 1: Manifest Temporal Acceleration for 4 rounds.
   Sub-Round 1: Use Defensive Precognition Psi-like Ability for +4 AC and Saves. Move adjacent to enemy.
   Sub-Round 2: Manifest Vigor for 105 HP. Expend Psionic Focus to manifest Quickened True Metabolism.
   Sub-Round 3: Manifest Offensive Precognition, wild-surging for 4 (use circlet), for +8. Use move action to regain psionic focus. Expend Psionic Focus to manifest Quickened Force Screen for +9 AC
   Sub-Round 4: Buffer for Psychic Enervation. If available, use move action to regain Psionic Focus, roll Lucky Dice, then ready action for Energy Stun as soon as Temporal Acceleration ends.
Round 1 (continued): Full-attack.

Post Buff AC: 64
   Attack Bonus: +40/+35/+30/+25
   Damage per Hit: 52 (Average. I assume. I don't remember)
   Saves: +34, +33, +48
   Fly Speed: 60 (good)
   HP: 313
   Fast Healing: 10
   Shaken for 1 Round[/spoiler]

Tangential Edit: I contend that lightsabers are not brilliant energy, because they clearly destroy droids.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:06:48 AM by Bauglir »
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 09:33:40 AM »
Sure they are, ask Darth Bane. No need to finesse them.

Handy Links

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »
Wow... a Jedi request.  That takes me back to - what was it? - five months ago?  2000 or so hits on 339....
carnivore's build. Among many others.  :)
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 04:59:02 PM »
A good way to make a jedi is a psychic warrior with two levels of monk and tashalatora.

dark_samuari

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 05:28:06 PM »
So what do you guys think about a Human Paragon/Ardent/Slayer? This gets you more powers & power points than a psychic warrior, favored enemy (sith), outside skills like iaijitsu focus and if you pick up the magic mantle you can use a wand of flame blade (which may be better lightsabre).