Author Topic: [3.5]Making the Incandescent Champion shine MOAR!!!  (Read 8869 times)

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
[3.5]Making the Incandescent Champion shine MOAR!!!
« on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:22 PM »
It seems I've been infected with the Incarnum virus, and it apparently makes me think about how to improve its classes...

(Hopefully) This will be a good fix for the Incandescent Champion PrC...

Incandescent Champion

Entry Requirements
Alignment: Any good.
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Concentration 4 ranks
Essentia Pool: 1

Level   BAB  Fort Ref  Will  Special                                                    Essentia
1st     +1   +0   +0   +2    Incandescent strike, Persistent Meldshaping                1
2nd     +2   +0   +0   +3    Fast healing (self)                                        2
3rd     +3   +1   +1   +3    Incandescent Shield                                        3
4th     +4   +1   +1   +4    Incandescent Aura                                          3
5th     +5   +1   +1   +4    Enhanced Essentia Capacity +1, Incandescent Assault        4                    
6th     +6   +2   +2   +5    Fast healing (allies), Incarnum overload 1/encounter       5
7th     +7   +2   +2   +5    Incandescent Aura (burst)                                  6
8th     +8   +2   +2   +6    Incarnum overload 2/encounter                              6
9th     +9   +3   +3   +6    Enhanced Essentia Capacity +2                              7
10th    +10  +3   +3   +7    Incandescent Overflow, Incarnum Overload 3/encounter       8

Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level): Balance, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (the planes), Profession, Ride

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: You gain no new proficiencies with weapons, armor, or shields.

Incandescent Strike (Su): You can channel incarnum to increase the damage dealt by your melee attacks. For each such augmented attack, you gain a bonus on your damage rolls equal to twice the number of points of essentia invested in this ability. Whenever you have essentia invested in incandescent strike, your hands glow with a bright light equivalent to that produced by a light spell (caster level equal to your incandescent champion class level). Additionally, you can make your melee attacks gain the brilliant energy property for a number of rounds equal to your Charisma modifier + the number of essentia invested into this ability as a swift action. This ability is usable once per encounter.

Persistent Meldshaping (Ex): Your incandescent champion class levels stack with your meldshaper levels for the purposes of penetrating an enemy's spell resistance or to resist against dispel checks.

Fast Healing (Su): When you reach 2nd level, the irrepressible force of your soul restores your vitality whenever you are wounded, granting you fast healing at a rate equal to the points of essentia you invest in this ability. This ability can be activated as a free action, and stays active for a number of rounds equal to your class level + your Contitution modifier. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1). At 6th level, each ally within 30 feet from you gains the same amount of fast healing as you, for the same duration as you.

Incandescent Shield (Su): At 3rd level, you can channel incarnum to increase your resistance against incoming attacks. You gain a deflection bonus to AC and damage reduction equal to the points of essentia invested into this ability (for example, if you invest 3 essentia into this ability, you gain +3 deflection bonus to AC and DR 3/-). This ability is always active as long as there is at least one point of essentia invested in this ability.  

Incandescent Aura (Su): Once you attain 4th level, incarnum has become so integral to your physical form that your body constantly exudes pure, brilliant soul energy. At the start of your turn, every creature adjacent to you that you designate as a foe takes 1d6 points of damage per point of essentia invested in this ability. A successful Will save halves this damage (DC 10 + 1/2 character level + number of invested essentia). This ability is always active. If you have essentia invested in your incandescent aura ability, you shine with a bright light equivalent to that produced by a daylight spell (caster level equals incandescent champion level). Aditionally, at 7th level, you can release all of your energy in a single burst of concentrated energy as a standard action, dealing 3d6 points of damage per point of essentia invested in this ability to all enemies within 60 feet from you, and all of the essentia invested into this ability returns to your pool. A successful Reflex save (same DC as above) halves this damage. You can invest essentia in this ability again normally, but you must wait 1d4 rounds before using this ability's second option again.

Enhanced Essentia Capacity (Ex): at 5th level and again at 9th level, the maximum essentia that can be invested into all of the class features granted by this class is increased by 1.

Incandescent Assault (Su): Beginning at 5th level, you can channel incarnum into a powerful melee attack. As a standard action, you can make a single melee attack. This attack gains a bonus on the attack roll equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1), and a bonus on the damage roll equal to three times the number of invested essentia into this ability. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to your class level.

Incarnum Overload (Ex): At 6th level, you can temporarily maximize the invested essentia of any soulmeld, incarnum feat, or special ability that allows essentia investment. This effect lasts for 1 round, during which the essentia capacity of the chosen soulmeld, feat, or ability is changed automatically to its maximum capacity. This ability is usable once per encounter as a free action. At 8th level, you can use this ability twice per encounter; at 10th level, you can use it three times per encounter.

Incandescent Overflow (Su): twice per day as a standard action, you can release a massive wave of soul energy from yourself, affecting you, your allies and every enemy within 30 ft. While within range, your allies (including yourself) gains a bonus on damage rolls equal to half the total number of essentia you possess (for example, if a 17th level incandescent champion has a total of 12 essentia, the damage bonus is +6), and each enemy within range takes a penalty to attack, damage rolls and spell resistance equal to the damage bonus granted by this ability. Each enemy may make a Will saving throw (DC 10+1/2 character level+your Charisma modifier) every round to halve the penalties until the end of the round (rounded down). Each usage of this ability lasts for 1 minute.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I look at this and I feel it could be better.... any suggestions?

Edit: swapped Incandescent ray with Incandescent Assault...
Edit2: fixed Incandescent Aura's text...
Edit3: changed the capstone...
Edit4: changed the capstone again...

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: [3.5]Making the Incandescent Champion shine MOAR!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:48:52 AM »
Actually, I feel like you've done a pretty excellent job already. My only concerns were that the Strike makes it so whenever the Champion wants his weapon is Brilliant Energy all battle, and how weak Incandescent Ray is unless you use the focused beam option (and pour essentia into it).

This gets me wondering though if an Incarnum as The Force could be done well enough to be awesome. :plot

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 10:59:02 PM »
Actually, I feel like you've done a pretty excellent job already. My only concerns were that the Strike makes it so whenever the Champion wants his weapon is Brilliant Energy all battle, and how weak Incandescent Ray is unless you use the focused beam option (and pour essentia into it).

I was thinking about making Incandescent Strike get a "release" version, like the ray and the aura, in the form of a smite-like ability. Maybe replace the ray with this idea?

About the brilliant energy, if I make it Cha mod/day is better?

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 11:28:56 PM »
I was thinking about making Incandescent Strike get a "release" version, like the ray and the aura, in the form of a smite-like ability. Maybe replace the ray with this idea?

Bumping this with this:

Incandescent Assault (Su): You can channel incarnum into a powerful melee attack. As a standard action, you can make a single melee attack. This attack gains a bonus on the attack roll equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1), and a bonus on the damage roll equal to three times the number of invested essentia into this ability. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to your class level + your Constitution modifier.

I was wondering.... do I add this, or an ability that enhances all attacks on a full attack?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 07:30:55 AM »

Bumping this with this:

Incandescent Assault (Su): You can channel incarnum into a powerful melee attack. As a standard action, you can make a single melee attack. This attack gains a bonus on the attack roll equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1), and a bonus on the damage roll equal to three times the number of invested essentia into this ability. This ability is usable a number of times per day equal to your class level + your Constitution modifier.

I was wondering.... do I add this, or an ability that enhances all attacks on a full attack?
I'll bump too, because I'd like to see this brought to completion. The assault looks like a really nice smite, and I'm thinking the only problem is where to put it. Definitely that though. Just... where the hell do you put it? This class is sweet, but so full!

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »
I'll bump too, because I'd like to see this brought to completion. The assault looks like a really nice smite, and I'm thinking the only problem is where to put it. Definitely that though. Just... where the hell do you put it? This class is sweet, but so full!

What do you think about swapping the Incandescent Ray with this?  Personally, I favor this, since the ray doesn't quite fit a melee based class...

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 08:59:23 PM »

What do you think about swapping the Incandescent Ray with this?  Personally, I favor this, since the ray doesn't quite fit a melee based class...
Seconded, get rid of the ray. It's less appropriate than the smitey ability, and it's not as though it's integrally upgraded later on in the class.

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
Bump...

Swapped the ray with the smite...

Zombieboots

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Ska-ull
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 06:25:04 PM »
Incandescent Aura (Su): Once you attain 8th level, incarnum has become so integral to your physical form that your body constantly exudes pure, brilliant soul energy. .... Aditionally, at 7th level, you can release all of your energy in a single burst ...

Text doesn't match the table.

Anyway I really, really like this!
My only comments is that I think "Enhanced Essentia Capacity" should only increase a single ability each time you gain it (or one twice), or you should only gain the ability once, but allow all abilities to be affected by the Essentia increasing feats.

"Incandescent Assault" should only be usable once per class levels per day to give a player more incentive to stay in the class.

And I don't mind the cap stone ability but I'm not sure turning incorporeal fits the feel of the rest of the class when all of the other abilities seem to light orientated.

Anyway. I like it! I what to see this thing smoothed out.
Ah! Maddness. Thank you.[spoiler][/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 06:44:21 PM »
Incandescent Aura (Su): Once you attain 8th level, incarnum has become so integral to your physical form that your body constantly exudes pure, brilliant soul energy. .... Aditionally, at 7th level, you can release all of your energy in a single burst ...

Text doesn't match the table.

:twitch

Fixed ...

Anyway I really, really like this!
My only comments is that I think "Enhanced Essentia Capacity" should only increase a single ability each time you gain it (or one twice), or you should only gain the ability once, but allow all abilities to be affected by the Essentia increasing feats.

Hit me in the face if you want, but I don't think I understood what you meant with your second idea :twitch.... and I feel the first one is a critical hit from the nerf bat, but I didn't discard it yet...

"Incandescent Assault" should only be usable once per class levels per day to give a player more incentive to stay in the class.

Fixed....

And I don't mind the cap stone ability but I'm not sure turning incorporeal fits the feel of the rest of the class when all of the other abilities seem to light orientated.

TBH, I have no idea on a good capstone.... turning into a blue sun on the battlefield isn't that interesting  :P

Anyway. I like it! I what to see this thing smoothed out.

Thanks, and will try to finish it soon....

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 11:59:03 PM »
TBH, I have no idea on a good capstone.... turning into a blue sun on the battlefield isn't that interesting
I dunno about that, looking like a Protoss Archon(a humanoid form in the middle of a huge ball of blue flames), and having the immediate area surrounding you set on blue fire...
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 08:20:21 AM »
I dunno about that, looking like a Protoss Archon(a humanoid form in the middle of a huge ball of blue flames), and having the immediate area surrounding you set on blue fire...

Hmmmm  :plotting

Changed Capstone....

Risada

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 12:47:52 PM »
*Casts Greater animate Thread*

Changed the capstone again.... looking for feedback on it...

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 03:03:05 AM »
It's like a super shiney hexblade? It fits, I do suppose. I'm not over or underwhelmed. A useful ability, combo buff/debuff is always good, and really that's what a fighting prc needs. I still support it, if only I could remember to test essentia classes at some point. Never have played one...