Author Topic: The Iron fortress  (Read 1558 times)

Radijs

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
The Iron fortress
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »
My players have descended into the nine hells during the last session. With the explicit goal of finding an ancient contract that binds the Reth Dekala (ToB) to their infernal service.
They know that the contract is inside their fortress made from Iron on Avernus.

So the PC's have gone there and are now standing a few miles away from the fortress. Its currently under siege by demons but I'm sure the PC's can find a way to get in regardless. But I'm having some difficulty thinking of more encounters.

I was thinking of turning most of it into an underground fortress and I've got 2 encounters roughly set up.

One is in a chamber where magma flows over most of the floor. A bit of a maze without walls. But where a group of advanced Reth Dekala devils are ready to fight them. And who will probably be using the throwing maneuvers to chuck them into the lava.

Another encounter would be a solo or semi-solo with a green dragon who has made his own arboretum in the fortress.

And of course the inevitable encounter with the big Reth Dekala himself (I changed the fluff of these devils a little for in my campaign)

What else would be nice inside a devil-infested fortress?
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: The Iron fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 04:24:56 PM »
Slaves?  Especially if the PCs are good aligned, the devils should be using human shields and sending slaves forth to delay/injure/annoy the PCs.

They could bust in on a sacrifice in progress, ala Temple of Doom and have to decide between saving an innocent and facing a wave of crazies or passing by unnoticed.

If you've listened to the podcast, I can only also suggest a succubus "buggery" ;)
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Radijs

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »
My mistake, I neglected to say that the Reth Dekala are the slaves here. Heh Silly.

The short story is that about 7 millenia ago the Dekala lived in harmony. The world was extremely rich in magic and they used it all. Giant floating cities where erected and a huge network of portals linked them all together.
But the magic began to die. Perhaps through overuse, perhaps as a natural tide. And as the magic failed the individual cities began to look out for their own interest rather then the interest of the civilization as a whole.

One warlord a man named Reth Dekala sealed a pact with one of the archdevils. He gave his soul and every soul in his charge to the archdevil in exchange for the power to unite his people and the empire.
He was given the power and through force of arms he reunited the empire and for a time the empire thrived again. But then the archdevil returned to claim his end of the bargain. All the people under his charge....All the people of his empire.

The PC's have learned of this faustian pact and they intend to break it so they can free the Dekala. And hopefully enlist them for their own cause. Driving a demon horde from their home plane.
What part of Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn don't you understand?

Radijs

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »
ker-bump. Nobody has got any nice encounter ideas for this fortress?

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
Well, their not mine personally, but this thread has had some fantastic ideas for trap encounters. Some of them can get pretty cruel. But they're in Avernus right? The fortress would basically be required to have some nasty traps.