Author Topic: Building a character in a game with wierd rules  (Read 1991 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Building a character in a game with wierd rules
« on: October 18, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »
So, my RL gaming group will be meeting again in a few hours for the second session of the game.  My first character was a Warforged Artificier, but the DM's rules made that a highly unsatisfactory choice last time, so I'm strongly considering making a different character.

So, here's the deal ruleswise.

Any books are open
ECL 1
DM spends starting gold (this is the main reason I hated the last session.  He gave me crap for gold and spent it on a light crossbow and normal artisan's tools with 6 gold left over, 5 of which I had to spend on a Spell Component Pouch so I could use my infusions.)
Only one base class per character.
For some rediculously stupid reason, the DM banned Repair Construct (which, with a literal interpretation, means just the psionic power, but I have no idea.  I was using the Repair Light Damage infusion a LOT last time, mainly on the Totemist)

The rest of the party consists of the following:
Warforged Toemist: has an AC of 23 when shaping Wormtail Belt, basically our tank
Elf Ranger: ...the player has no idea what he's doing I think...
??? Cleric: He wasn't at the last session
??? Barbarian: Ditto above

To keep things easy, I'll be using the same rolls I had before.  There are two sets I can/am willing to use.
15, 16, 10, 14, 12, 15
12, 18, 15, 11, 12, 12

So far it seems that the game is not very friendly.  In the first encounter, the DM put the three of us up against what I estimated to be a CR 3 fight.  Afterward, we got a bunch of martial weapons and heavy armor.  There also seems to be a lot of social skill checks.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 03:01:51 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Re: Building a character in a game with wierd rules
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 02:21:34 PM »
Second roll set, Elf Generalist Wizard 3 with Fighter feat sub at level 1 for Improved Initiative, and Natural Bond (Hummingbird) for +8 initiative from the familiar.  And then make his high and mighty monsters fall on their fucking asses time and time again with grease and more grease :D  Give the melees spiked boots or something so they don't faceplant too (or a way to levitate), or just have the ranger plink arrows into them while they're prone.  And worst case scenario, go Dragonborn, breath weapon aspect, snag those two feats for burninating, and burn away.  Even without flight, you can glide and your jump check will be phenomenal.  Tac-nuke while they're grease-trapped, and if shit hits the fan, hit the reset button (2d8 damage, and 1d8 damage, energy of your choice, constantly for NI rounds = dead planet).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Tenebrous Apostate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »
First Roll get's you a decent Rogue. Changeling or human is allways good. Changeling with it's substitution lvls if there are a lot of social situations. Dragonfire adept is also cool for dishing some damage. What I'd do with these rolls would be to usurp the most useless char around. Make a Warlock to dish damage better than the ranger, a second cleric channeling the oposite energy from the first or a psycic warrior to damage more than the Barbarian
Dead mortals feel no Dread

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »
I know Clinging Breath is one of the two feats for Global Destruction.  What's the other?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Tenebrous Apostate

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 03:47:18 PM »
Summon Elemental?
empower Spell like ability?
Sudden ability Focus :lmao ?
I happen to like mastery of the Dead from Players guide to Eberron

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 04:54:58 PM »
The planet-nuking trick is lingering breath, I believe, and widen breath. The point is that you can increase its range and duration as many times as you like. You could apply widen breath and lingering breath ten billion times each, making the breath's range and duration effectively infinite. You just wouldn't get to use your breath weapon again until way after you're dead.

Tenebrous Apostate

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 05:15:45 PM »
I hate beeing a one trick pony but each to his own I guess...

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »
Well, if you're worried about that part, you can always Shapechange into some obscure dragon or what have you and use up that breath weapon permanently.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 06:34:03 PM »
I had no intention of actually using it, I was just curious as to what was used (having seen that tactic mentioned before).

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Tenebrous Apostate

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 07:01:13 PM »
Now you're talking. shapechange is one of my favorite tactics. Btw snakeman... try a Binder. It's bound to help since they're by Definition NOT one trick ponys and will surely fill up for the rest of the party's inadequeses, if any. you can allways multiclass into a warlock later and... you know where I'm going with this  :smirk

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 07:46:33 PM »
So, here's the deal ruleswise.

..snip..

Only one base class per character.

Binder may be the best I can do.  Half tempted to go Vow of Poverty, since the summoned armor and weapons from some vestiges don't interfere with it and picking up Stigmata can make me a decent healer without Buer bound (Naberius is pretty good, even in the upper levels)

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 08:03:29 PM »
Keep in mind that the constitution damage won't heal for an hour, even with Naberius bound. Note the last paragraph of Stigmata, concerning the bleeding.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 08:17:32 PM »
Bleh, forgot that part.

Probably will go Binder, still.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Tenebrous Apostate

• Email
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »
Oh boy this sucks! 1 hour? pretty rough at low lvls