Author Topic: Requesting help with a TWF Factotum.  (Read 1929 times)

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
Requesting help with a TWF Factotum.
« on: October 16, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »
My group, currently running a 10th level campaign, just picked up a new player, and she's interested in playing a factotum built as a TWF'er, and will likely end up being the group's primary melee combatant. This would usually be a cause for concern, but there's enough optimized support between battlefield control, buffing via a War Weaver (kudos to docroc) and focused ranged damage in the party that it shouldn't be too severe an issue.

Anyhow, I think I've managed to cover most of this factotum's defensive and utility capabilities enough that I'm satisfied with them - what I'm struggling with is giving her some kind of offensive power on par with the rest of the party. I'd like to keep this as a short brainstorming thread, so I'm not going into full character details unless necessary.

Race: Human
Stats: (After Items)
STR 12
DEX 18
CON 16
INT 24
WIN 8
CHA 10
Class Levels: Factotum 10
Feats:
TWF (ITWF gained through gloves from MIC)
Keen Intellect (for INT to WILL saves)
Dual Strike (Attack with both weapons as a standard action - more mileage out of Cunning Surge)
Font of Inspiration x6 (Don't ask. These can be changed to other feats if needed.)

Allowed sources include anything WotC (Books, Dragon, any unupdated 3.0 that still works properly, web enhancements) and any homebrew / 3rd party that the group rules monkey (yours truly) signs off on.

The offense-based characters in the party right now are capable of damage in the range of 100/round under ideal circumstances, with a reasonable degree of reliability and stamina. I'd like any kind of suggestion that could help this character pull of something in that range. The limited spells of a factotum of this level will likely be devoted to combat self-buffing, and I'm certainly open to suggestions for what to stick in those spell slots. Obviously anything that can take advantage of the excellent factotum action economy at this level would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
Re: Requesting help with a TWF Factotum.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 06:44:04 PM »
I'm AFB but doesn't a Factotum's Cunning Insight last for a whole round? If it does you can add Int to every attack. Even if it doesn't with FoIx6 you can just spam it. You'll want a headband of int+6 for all the glorious synergy.

100 damage a round is really good for 10th level, at least in my group. I'd aim for maybe 60-70 from the Factotum. There's a ranger spell in PHBII that gives sneak attack, get a wand of that.

Edit : D'oh!

I forgot the Factotum's #1 source of melee damage. Use the skill Iajutsu focus from the Oriental Adventures hand book, it gives a SA like ability for whenever you draw and attack a flatfooted opponent. Then get EWP:Gnomish Quick Razors which surprise your opponent when you draw them.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 06:47:18 PM by juton »

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:54:58 PM »
Keep in mind that Cunning Insight also applies to other types of damage. A Shivering Touch with Cunning Insight is even more ridiculous than it already was.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:23:20 PM »
For damage, I'd pump Iajuitsu Focus and take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Gnomish Quickrazor, or be a Whispergnome and take Improved Weapon Familiarity for the same.  Now all you need to do is get them flat footed and you can do tons of damage.  Grease, Hold Person, Striking before they can act, Glitterdust, and a bunch of other tricks should allow you to do this pretty easily.

Poison of course would do a lot.  Just taking the Master of Poisons feat is enough... now you can use Minor Creation to summon up huge volumes of Black Lotus Poison (you'll need to make the first dose yourself as a seed, but then you should be fine).  Poison your weapons and now you're doing 3d6 con damage with every strike (Fort DC 20 negates).  From here, enchant those quickrazors with the Assassination mod so that they improve your sneak attack and add their bonus to poison save DCs, and then cast Greater Magic Weapon or use a Tooth of Leraje to increase the bonus on your weapon.  With the tooth, the DC is 25.  Not bad, and you can poison one weapon per round (and you can start combat with both poisoned).

Another option is to dip Swordsage, as the Factotum 3 ability would apply to all of those Mighty Throw type manuevers, plus Shadow Jaunt and Cloak of Deception are just so useful.  So's Burning Blade on a TWF character... as long as the enemies aren't fire immune.

Feycraft Quickrazors would let you be dex based without needing Weapon Finesse.

Personally, I'd just go Factotum 10 for your situation, leaving out the Swordsage (but maybe adding in the Darkstalker feat, it's just so useful) and having a basic battle strategy where I'd close on the enemy in the surprise round (don't worry about going first, with Int to intitiative you should have no trouble doing this).  Then I'd full attack on someone, hitting them with two poison shots... possibly positioned to strike a second target in case the first one drops from poison.  Remember, Cunning Insight applies to the Black Lotus Poison too, so with an Int of 24 you're doing 3d6+7 con damage or an average of 17... this could easily kill enemies fast.  It's only for one attack, btw, not the whole round.  Anyway, don't forget you can re-poison midway through with a swift action (thanks Master of Poisons) and then get three poison hits.  Now use Cunning Surge and Arcane Dilitant to fire off a Grease or Glitterdust on the remaining enemies to keep them flat footed and debuffed.

That tactic would use 5-6 inspiration points in the first round of combat (depending on how many people you landed poison on, you should really use Cunning Insight every time poison lands), but likely kill one or two enemies and leave the rest pretty helpless.  Then you just run around finishing people off.

And don't forget, if you think there's a Dragon to fight, Shivering Touch + Spectral Hand + Cunning Insight + Cunning Breach + Cunning Surge = dead dragon in the surprise round with virtually no chance of survival.  Fun!

JaronK

Rymosrac

• Curious George
  • You were expecting?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:05:57 PM »
Excellent suggestions, thanks.

Iajutsu focus with the quickrazor had occurred to me, though the weapon flavor may be a hard sell for this player. I'll put it on the table though.

I'd somehow missed that Cunning Insight applies to any type of damage roll. . . Thanks for the catch on that one. And, accordingly, posion had never occired to me at all. Really liking that direction. . . Much appreciated.
Shh. My common sense is tingling. . .

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:34:06 PM »
Check out the Arsenic and Old Lace handbook on poisons... it includes poison builds with Factotum levels.  There are actually a number of feats you can take if you want to specialize that way, though be aware that this makes poison immunes (which are common enough) annoying.  Still, you've got your Iajuitsu Focus damage, and if your DM is throwing lots of undead at you consider getting a Lyre of the Restful Soul and a Rod of Defiance.  Together they lower Turn Resistance by 8, enough for your Turn Undead to be completely devastating.

JaronK