Author Topic: Highest number of spell lists on a single character  (Read 4940 times)

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
Highest number of spell lists on a single character
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:18:46 AM »
And preferably with little to no delay in acquiring new spell levels?  My warmage can get the warmage, Sor/Wiz, Cleric, and Paladin lists, but that's as far as I can take it thus far.  Druid too if he's a dragonwrought kobold.  Also, takes until 20th level to get 9th level spells :(  Anyone have any ideas?  And especially, if you can get it onto like a Cleric or Druid, that would be awesome.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
Re: Highest number of spell lists on a single character
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:38:36 PM »
Well, I know this isn't exactly what you wanted to hear, but I doubt anyone's gonna trump your rainbow warmage with anything less.

Archivist 17. Alternate source spell or geomancer or 3 of 5 other methods to make the arcane/divine line blur should work to give an Archivist access to all spell lists there are. By extension, it's probably possible to put the same stuff to use to get this onto an Erudite (or Psion, for that matter). You just need a liberal amount of cheese, and likely quite some time (for seek&scribe of each spell).

You also mentioned the trick with that book you love so much that contains "every arcane spell, ever".

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »
So far all I've gotten is SCM being able to cast Silent Image at will, meaning Shadow Miracles at will for every spell/power/maneuver/anything else at will.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
So far all I've gotten is SCM being able to cast Silent Image at will, meaning Shadow Miracles at will for every spell/power/maneuver/anything else at will.

how

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 02:46:55 PM »
A dread necromancer or beguiler base would give you slightly more list.
I assume your sorc/wiz is sword of the arcane order?
um... Prestige ranger?  SCM?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »
Well, I know this isn't exactly what you wanted to hear, but I doubt anyone's gonna trump your rainbow warmage with anything less.

Archivist 17. Alternate source spell or geomancer or 3 of 5 other methods to make the arcane/divine line blur should work to give an Archivist access to all spell lists there are. By extension, it's probably possible to put the same stuff to use to get this onto an Erudite (or Psion, for that matter). You just need a liberal amount of cheese, and likely quite some time (for seek&scribe of each spell).

You also mentioned the trick with that book you love so much that contains "every arcane spell, ever".

The main sticking point of PrC Pally as I see it though is loss of casting levels.  If I could find a way to match that without the lost levels, it'd rock.  Thrallherd really seems to be the absolute best way, since siphoning off thralls to power their PsiChir's and an erudite StP thrall would net all spells/powers/maneuvers (assuming ASS makes them "arcane").  And if nothing else, maneuvers can be emulated, too :P

how

If the DM is nice and lets Innate Spell work, through that, and if not, through the wonder that is Arcane Manipulation on every single slot, followed by a Ring of Wizardry I and usual SCM trickery for Shadow Miracles.

A dread necromancer or beguiler base would give you slightly more list.
I assume your sorc/wiz is sword of the arcane order?
um... Prestige ranger?  SCM?

That warmage uses SotAO on Prestige Paladin, actually.  Fewer prereq's and alignment is a nonissue if the variant Paladins are also used (requires adaptation, since PrC Pally is condensed, but not a big deal).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:52:46 PM by KellKheraptis »
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 03:17:41 PM »
Arcane Manipulation only worked on 3 slots, I thought. I'm thinking of the feat printed in Lost Empires of Faerun, though. Was it reprinted somewhere else and changed?
This space intentionally left blank.

Suzerain

• Bi-Curious George
  • is on extended leave
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »
Arcane Manipulation only worked on 3 slots, I thought. I'm thinking of the feat printed in Lost Empires of Faerun, though. Was it reprinted somewhere else and changed?

Don't think it was. Kell must've forgotten.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 04:21:56 PM »

Don't think it was. Kell must've forgotten.

I can still get 120 miracles out of that with circle magic.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

juton

• King Kong
  • Jack of all trades, master of nothing.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 05:47:45 PM »
A generic caster gets access to all Cleric, Druid and Sorcerer/Wizard spells. An arcane one can get Bard spells through prestige bard, I think a divine one can get Ranger and Paladin spells through those respective prestige classes.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 02:34:08 PM »
Eldrich Master is a prestige class from dragon mag 280.  It does not progress spell casting, but at levels 4 and 8 it gets to add another spell list to its own.  It also gives a bonus metamagic feat at 3rd, and gives you a spell slot one level higher (and a spell known) than you can currently cast at 3rd (giving a 3rd level bard spell).  Additionally it gives bonus spells known, and adds to your affective caster level for all your arcane classes.  Here is a simple build.

Bard 4/ Cleric 1/Dweomerkeeper 1/ Eldrich Master 4/ Sublime Chord 1/ Dweomerkeeper 9

Cleric of mystra or Thoth for magic and rune* domains

L1 Dragonwrought Kobold
L3 Extend Spell
L5 Scribe Scroll*
L6 Alternative Source Spell
L9 Persistent Spell
L9 Divine Metamagic
L12 Practiced Spell caster (sublime chord)
L15 Easy Metamagic (Lowers Persistent Spell by 1)
L18

This will net you Sorc, bard, and Cleric spells from levels 4-9th.  You can cast these spells with divine metamagic using alternative source spell to convert them to divine.  I am assuming you are using ebberon dragon templates to get druid, not sure if that still applies in this build.

The next trick is to use the spells from the Abyssal book to swap out feats (Embrace the dark chaos/shun the dark chaos).  Swap out your cleric armor feats to pick up Extra spell slot.  The feat says it can give you any spell slot up to one level lower than the highest level spell you can cast.  Swap out 3 feats to pick up a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spell slots for the sublime chord.  Note Eldrich master also gives bonus spells known from levels 1st through 4th.  Convince your DM to let you hold those bonus spells until after you take sublime chord and do the feat swap.  Now you can cast spells from 1st to 9th with a caster level of 18, 22 effective.  Note there are a ton of spells that add cha for good casters.  Snowsong L6, Inner Beauty L4, Sirines and Nixie’s Grace L4 and L6, Transfusion L5 Dragon mag, Greater Visiage of the Deity L9.  It is really easy to push your Cha well past 50 (giving you plenty of turnings for divine metamagic).

Edit: You can try and copy the archivist list for all divine spells, but technically they don't have their own list.  Same goes for the Chameleon which has all divine and arcane spells.

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 04:51:44 PM »
Chameleon can get every spell list right out of the box. But only up to level 6 spells.

LargePrime

• Curious George
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »
Artificer.  every spell two levels sooner.

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 06:17:34 PM »
Chameleon can get every spell list right out of the box. But only up to level 6 spells.

Has anyone found a way to get them higher level spell slots?  The chameleon states it cannot use any abilities granted by it to qualify for feats, which means the epic feat that gives another spell slot is out.  It states you must be able to cast the highest level spell in the class that you are adding the spell slot too.  And I don't think the heighten spell trick to get 9th level slots would work either since the extra spell slot feat again references spell slots you have in that class.

The only thing I could think of is:
1. Versatile spell caster would allow for 7th level spells if you have a spontaneous spell casting class before chameleon. 
2.  Eldrich Master gives a spell slot one higher than you can currently cast every 3 levels.  Its wording is pretty liberal so it may mesh with Chameleon.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 06:50:07 PM »
Take another spellcasting class before chameleon.  Pick up Planar Touchstone to snag one spell of the highest you can cast, with CL 20 that would be Miracle, and at Character Level 17+, it's miracle (Trickery domain).  Pick up extra slot for 7th and 8th, enjoy being a dual caster.  The full exact method is listed under "Ultimate Multithread" I believe on 339, but was archived so may be lost now.
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 03:28:46 AM »

Has anyone found a way to get them higher level spell slots? 

See my signature - I didn't first think of the trick though.  In short, planar touchstone + Sanctum Spell / etc. or Disposable Hero's miracle at 6th level trick.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 04:32:06 AM »

Has anyone found a way to get them higher level spell slots? 

See my signature - I didn't first think of the trick though.  In short, planar touchstone + Sanctum Spell / etc. or Disposable Hero's miracle at 6th level trick.

Best,
David

That's right, it was you, wasn't it?  Capped with Crusader, for ToB goodness?  Have you tried to get 9th level maneuvers out of it yet (probably not possible...since that requires 14 levels of initiator minimum)?
The Mango List Reborn!
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 05:30:17 AM »
That's right, it was you, wasn't it?  Capped with Crusader, for ToB goodness?  Have you tried to get 9th level maneuvers out of it yet (probably not possible...since that requires 14 levels of initiator minimum)?

Yup, that's the one.

No, I never tried for 9th level maneuvers ... I actually find them less interesting than some of the lower-level maneuvers.  For example, I find taking 10 on virtually any roll much better than being able to do 100 points worth of damage.

You could do it however, if you used a metamagic Naen Hoon illiumian cleric / chameleon to snag an extra known spell of 9th level, using divine metamagic (heighten) to qualify.

But really, why be interested in 9th level manuevers when you can cast Miracle?

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 05:13:24 AM »
Is there any way to get the wizard spell list onto the rainbow warsnake without using prestige paladin/ranger and sword of the arcane order?
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 05:55:53 AM »
Mage of the Arcane order kinda sorta works.
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.