Author Topic: Shadowrun??  (Read 26481 times)

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
Re: Shadowrun??
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 09:34:28 PM »
Nanshork, that's precisely correct. (And, as a matter of fact, you're referring to a 1 Essence standard cyberware being upgraded to Alpha grade ware - which is a .8 multiplier. :p)

Please note that while Cyberware can be upgraded, I recommend that during creation, if you have the money to do so, that you go ahead and buy your 'ware at Alpha grade anyway, which is available at creation. It can save a lot of Essence, even if it can be awfully expensive, but chances are you won't have anywhere near the kind of money you'll have at creation for a long, long time - and using second-hand 'ware has dangers to it.

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
So, what kind of range is there for cyberware? Is it similar to having a masterwork tool for DND?

I'll be trying to look it up today, assuming, again, that I can sneak to a games store without too much hassle. (doubtful...)
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 09:54:29 PM »
I'll try to look up some 3e stuff tonight, but most likely I won't get much chance until after classes tomorrow.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 10:21:20 PM »
So, what kind of range is there for cyberware? Is it similar to having a masterwork tool for DND?

I'll be trying to look it up today, assuming, again, that I can sneak to a games store without too much hassle. (doubtful...)
Cyberware comes in four grades. Each 'grade' actually does the exact same thing, but the higher the grade, the less Essence it costs to install. (Each person has 6 Essence. Essence can never be recovered. Also, losing Essence lowers your magic score - very few Awakened types use cyberware for exactly that reason.) Many types of cyberware have multiple levels, as well - so it's possible to find a literally better version of many kinds of cyberware.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 10:22:43 PM »
Nanshork, that's precisely correct. (And, as a matter of fact, you're referring to a 1 Essence standard cyberware being upgraded to Alpha grade ware - which is a .8 multiplier. :p)

Please note that while Cyberware can be upgraded, I recommend that during creation, if you have the money to do so, that you go ahead and buy your 'ware at Alpha grade anyway, which is available at creation. It can save a lot of Essence, even if it can be awfully expensive, but chances are you won't have anywhere near the kind of money you'll have at creation for a long, long time - and using second-hand 'ware has dangers to it.

I know, I've been reading through books.   :p

That works out perfectly.  I'm not going to be doing any magic, so it isn't as if I need the essence refunded or anything.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 11:14:02 PM »
I'm doing the kung-fu guy that kills with his fucking fists, because I wanna be badass like that.

Will need to do a lot of reading on 3E, but I have no objections at all.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 11:18:29 PM »
For the record folks - cybered characters are usually more expensive money-wise. They tend to need a lot of cash - both to buy and upgrade their 'ware, as well as maintain it (much lesser, unless you've got seriously high-grade stuff.) They're also typically very expensive on other gear. Ammunition, guns, whatever.

Awakened characters, aka the magical ones, are expensive on Karma (experience in this system.) It costs Karma to learn new spells, or to Initiate, which allows you to gain more points of Magic, as well as learn metamagic techniques. (Not like D&D metamagic, thse are different.) It also costs Karma to bond foci. On the other hand, they typically don't need anywhere -near- as much money (and a not-uncommon method of making that balance is to trade cash for Karma, usually via things like donating to worthy causes, etc. I may or may not be allowing this.)

Essentially, you get to pick your poison.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2009, 11:48:04 PM »
I know, don't worry.  I've been staring at books.    :P

So since we're apparently doing third (and I wait to get my hands on some third edition books), what's this about a character building program you have?
Notes to self

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2009, 12:02:19 AM »
NSRCG. Very useful. It's NOT perfect by a long shot - but if we're doing 3rd, then I prefer everyone to use the Becks Karma System... and the only reasonable way to do that is with this program, really. It can be downloaded here. Download it, unzip it to a separate folder, then run the setup.

In a little while, I'll post the precise instructions for making a character. It's been a while since I've used it, so I need to refresh my memory first. :)

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2009, 12:20:53 AM »
I played the SNES game a bunch, and really liked it.  Would I need to have any of the books to join?  Infiltrator type sounds fun to me.

Sega game was better.   :P

Boourns to that!  :smirk
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2009, 01:57:47 AM »
NSRCG is pretty much a requirement for 3rd edition character creation.  And I admit, I much prefer 3rd edition. 

Also, I'd be more offended about that crack about checking the computer, but I'm too lazy to write an appropriate response, so there.

I might be interested in making a troll heavy hitter or a cat shaman... both are characters I've played before.  I could do a skill chipper too... it just depends on what fits.  What are the GM's rulings on cantrips (i.e. spells that require no karma to learn... F1 fettished spells or F2 exclusives)?  I've seen some GMs not allow any, some allow a number based on your Int score, and some allow as many as you want.

By the way, for those unfamiliar with the system, the magic/mundane divide is MUCH smaller in SR than in D&D.  In D&D a Wizard just kicks a Fighter all over the place.  In SR a Mage has lots of options, but so does the street sam, and while shooting fireballs with your mind can be very useful, the same can be said of shooting bullets with your gun.  For every stealthy Stunbolt from an invisible mage there's a stealthy Nuerostun shot from a Ruetharium'd street sam.  Usually after a lot of experience is gained the mages pull ahead, but even then a good sniper rifle trumps most things.

JaronK

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2009, 02:07:26 AM »
But what is stopping a mage, other than points invested, in having a gun as well?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2009, 02:26:23 AM »
Max will be Int score for that,  Jaron. I take it you've used NSRCG before? Are you familiar with creating with the Karma system? (I've played both of those, by the way. Hell, my cat shaman was a former assassin. :D)

Reminds me. You'll be creating characters on 425 points with a max of 1mil nuyen - aka, the defaults on the Karma system. (Yes, that's a lot of money. It goes very. Very. VERY fast.) Warning for when you get to Edges and Flaws. Although the listed values are 1, 2, etc, each one is worth 5 times that in Karma (5, 10, 15, etc.) You'll get up to 6/30 points of Edges, and no more than 5/25 of flaws.

NO otaku allowed. I'm sorry if anyone thinks they're neat (although it seems no one's had a problem with that yet, but I had forgotten about them.) And no Surge characters. (You'll find Surge stuff in the Edges and Flaws... don't take any of it. Anything that starts off with SRG, in other words.) No ghouls as well, and I'd highly recommend against shapeshifters.

---

Generic, nothing stops a mage from having a gun. What does make a difference is that mages will usually have their best skills being their spellcasting, and a cybered character often has several bits of 'ware to help with that shot - in short, cybered characters tend to be much better at shooting than mages. (This is not necessarily so - just often the case. One of my old characters was a physical adept who specialized in being a sniper, while I had a mage who was a crack pistol shot.)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2009, 02:41:51 AM »
So... how do I continue on with NSCRG? I've unzipped the file (but not the files within it) and dumped it all into a folder on my desktop.

Also, I managed to sneak out (not actually) and bought the SR 3e rulebook. I'll read through it and ask any questions I might have afterwards.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2009, 02:49:53 AM »
Kari, I have a habit of digging around in whatever book I can get my hands on to make a character.  Is there anything that would be good for my character concept besides the core rules and Man and Machine?  Any books you'd prefer me to avoid for any reason (including if you don't have Man and Machine or anything else)?
Notes to self

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2009, 03:04:08 AM »
So... how do I continue on with NSCRG? I've unzipped the file (but not the files within it) and dumped it all into a folder on my desktop.

Also, I managed to sneak out (not actually) and bought the SR 3e rulebook. I'll read through it and ask any questions I might have afterwards.
Run the Setup file. It'll install NSRCG so you can use it. :p (It'll also set up a shortcut in your Start menu.)

Kari, I have a habit of digging around in whatever book I can get my hands on to make a character.  Is there anything that would be good for my character concept besides the core rules and Man and Machine?  Any books you'd prefer me to avoid for any reason (including if you don't have Man and Machine or anything else)?
I have every book, so that's no problem. Cannon Companion had some stuff, as well, I think. And beyond 'street sam' you haven't said what you're aiming for, so I don't know exactly what advice to give you. :p

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2009, 03:07:41 AM »

Run the Setup file. It'll install NSRCG so you can use it. :p (It'll also set up a shortcut in your Start menu.)

I have every book, so that's no problem. Cannon Companion had some stuff, as well, I think. And beyond 'street sam' you haven't said what you're aiming for, so I don't know exactly what advice to give you. :p

So far my concept inolves specializing in cybernetics as much as possible.  That's all I've got.  Haven't even picked a race yet.   :P
Notes to self

Kari

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2009, 03:14:07 AM »
So, in other words, you'll be taking the full million nuyen, and turning yourself into the closest you can get to a cyberzombie without actually being one. Gotcha. :p

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2009, 03:23:38 AM »
So, in other words, you'll be taking the full million nuyen, and turning yourself into the closest you can get to a cyberzombie without actually being one. Gotcha. :p

Exactly.  I was even looking at Cyberzombie stuff in 4E and thought that it looked like an awesome idea  (minus the massive maintence cost)!

I'll definitely be prolific in my use of weapons, but I won't be a weapons master.  I'll have melee and ranged weapons, as well as cybernetic implant ones.  And I'll be knowledgeable in cybernetics themselves, but that's about as much as I've figured out.

Notes to self

tallan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2009, 03:41:33 AM »
So far it looks like a troll adept is where I'm headed. So many nice powers to sink magic into, I'm having trouble choosing. He's coming out on the ascetic side, so I'm not sure where or if I should spend money. A focus looks nice, but very expensive.
Deep in the tomb of indelible gloom, an angel waits to die.
High on the peak, where only fools seek, a dragon tried to get high.
To which one we go, well f*ck if I know, the point is to question why.