Author Topic: Half-Elven Wand Master  (Read 1487 times)

Eternity

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Half-Elven Wand Master
« on: June 07, 2008, 04:03:01 AM »
Ok, I mentioned this idea on another thread of Kuroimaken's...but I'd like to give it some actual development.

Basically, the half-elf is unique in that it can gain access to powers from all 3 source types, one from Dilettante, one from your normal class, and one from your multiclass. Power source type doesn't come into play all that much, except concerning wands. Wands are usable by anyone who has a power with a source matching that of the power within the wand...meaning a half-elf could hypothetically use any wand by making sure to have one power of each source type.

A wand can be crafted to hold "any encounter power that you know or that is available to your class". Even though all of the wands listed in the PHB are arcane, the previous quote would suggest that is permissable to craft non-arcane wands. Granted, a wand holding an exploit sounds kind of odd, but divine ones are definitely a reasonable expectation. Thus, it is theoretically possible a wand to hold any encounter power in the game.

But how to get these wands? Why, craft them via the the Item Enchantment Ritual. A wand of any given power can be crafted only by someone who has that power on their class list, thus we need a way to be able to get the powers we want on our list for at least a short period of time so that we can craft our wands. Thanks to the handy re-training rules it is permissable to alter ones multi-class at every single level, so you can spend a level multi-classing into each class and cherry-pick the powers we want. When you switch out of a multiclass, you'll still have the wands of what are hopefully all its best low-level encounter powers.

Yes, you only get them as dailys. But, when you stack up something like a dozen plus wands, that doesn't really matter, since you can burn 2-3 every encounter and still not get through all of them. The other bonus is that you will be choosing off a much broader list then any class could hope to provide. Versatility is a bit hard to come by in 4e(WotC finally caught on, hehe), so this wand toolbox could prove to be quite powerful.

On the flipside, the re-train trick only grants straight class powers, not paragon powers. This can be alleviated by asking your party members nicely to wait a level on a feat in order to side-track into the ritual feat and make some wands for you. Because re-training is pretty much free from the sound of it, this will come at no cost to your party(unless they're helping you foot the crafting bill). The other thing is that you are limited by your money supply; You will only be able to get low-level wands, and you can't get very many until later on in your career.

All in all though, I think this concept might have some potential for optimization fun. Thoughts anyone?

tsuyoshikentsu

• Bi-Curious George
    • For My Mother: An Internet Serial
    • Email
Re: Half-Elven Wand Master
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 04:50:00 AM »
Isn't there some kind of limit on daily item use per character?
Anyway, this cake is great!  It's so delicious and moist.

Stalk me on Twitter!  Validate my existence!  Maybe Even Get An Optimization Tip!

Eternity

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: Half-Elven Wand Master
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 03:12:14 PM »
Not that I know of...but if you have some rules text on the matter I'd very much appreciate it  :)

EDIT: Damn, I found the limit of which you speak of...you are limited to 1 per tier, plus one per 'milestone'(two encounters)

So yeah, that kind of shoots down some of the awesome of this idea, oh well. It still is kind of nice, since even if you can only use 1-2 of them, you still get a range of choice spanning across powers from all classes. And, if for some reason you are out of your limit, nothing says you can't pass the needed wand off to someone else in the party that can use it. Actually, it'd be preferable for the rest of the party to burn through their item uses first, since they could only use wands of their power types, while this char is designed to use any wand.

So yeah, less awesome, still a bit interesting.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 03:18:53 PM by Eternity »