Author Topic: Review - Cthulhu Tech  (Read 2989 times)

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
Review - Cthulhu Tech
« on: January 23, 2008, 04:29:55 AM »
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
Re: Review - Cthulhu Tech
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:49:21 PM »
And the misplaced arrogance of the authors is grating, like the know-it-all down at the gaming store telling you how you are playing DnD wrong. 
So take a look at this book in the store and then decide.  I intend to keep up with what they publish.

Let me know what you think.
I think you're crazy.  If it sucks, it sucks.

If I have to tinker with the system before I ever play it, I'll be skipping it...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 01:08:07 AM »
And the misplaced arrogance of the authors is grating, like the know-it-all down at the gaming store telling you how you are playing DnD wrong. 
So take a look at this book in the store and then decide.  I intend to keep up with what they publish.

Let me know what you think.
I think you're crazy.  If it sucks, it sucks.

If I have to tinker with the system before I ever play it, I'll be skipping it...

A) I am crazy

B) It actually does have some cool ideas.

For example, the Engles are 30 foot tall biomechanical creations of science and magic.  Good idea. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Elephant Jack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
Ok, I've bought this book some weeks ago...
Cthulhutech is indeed an indy rpg. Don't be mislead by the fabulous artwork in this full-color hardcover book. Though I rarely play them, I look at many indy-rpg-systems, just because I like to see their rules/backgrounds and to gather some ideas for my very own works. This book is perfect example for what can go wrong and right with an indy rpg product:

GOOD
-Beautiful artwork, much better then many other games
-Nice editing work - ok, some minor errors, but it's overall nice to read
-Tons of cool crossover ideas
-Overall interesting setting, enough information to start some adventures

BAD
-Why, oh why... a new and innovative rules-set. Blah. Like Degenesis these rules provide the maximum amount of counterintuitivsm available. Do not misunderstand me: They probably work, with some perks. They just don't _feel_ good. I'm soon going to DM an adventure (well, at least I hope so) and I'm going to use the original rules without modifications. Perhaps they're better then I think, but I doubt so. I think I'm going to use some d% System (RQ?) if they won't work out.
-The setting is a bit "overloaded". You've got aliens. And cultists. And old ones. And more cultists. And science-megacorps. And armies. And mecha. And engel (more mecha). And tager (symbiont-warriors). And some more mechas. And... ah well. Two or three of those plots would've probably been enough - you can easily publish new ones as "campaign arcs" or what ever. All in all you've got too many plots with just an overview of background information.

Well, these are the points that stick out the most. If you like crossovers, anime/mechas, weird settings or indy-games all-in-all, buy this book. But be sure that you'll have to invest some work (background- and probably rules-wise) if you plan to play this game more then once or twice.

EJ

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 07:26:57 PM »
That is extremely similar to Josh's overall review of the book too.  Listen to his full review here:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/blog/24
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!