Author Topic: Looking for A familiar PrC.  (Read 2553 times)

Frost Wolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Looking for A familiar PrC.
« on: October 09, 2009, 05:39:55 PM »
A while ago someone on the Wizards forums made a well balanced and neat PrC that focused on the use of Familiars. So far all my attempts to find it have proven useless. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advanced  :)

P.S. Other than the Alienist, anyone know a good way to get a familiar with more of a Lovecraft feel?

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Looking for A familiar PrC.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:47:31 PM »
I'm not familiar with any of the homebrew stuff, but for your secondary question there's the Fleshwarper from Lords of Madness. There's also feat Stiched-Flesh Familiar from Libris Mortis. Getting more obscure, there's Shadow Familiar from Tome of Magic, and Shadowform Familiar from Champions of Ruin.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:32:40 PM »
a well balanced and neat PrC that focused on the use of Familiars.

That's like the exact opposite of the lightning warrior
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
a well balanced and neat PrC that focused on the use of Familiars.

That's like the exact opposite of the lightning warrior

:lol

So it's actually the cheesy opposite of that fabulously flavored and balanced class? :P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Frost Wolf

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:38:54 PM »
Sigh...

I've spent all day looking. I can find links to the wizards site, but just like most old links, it redirects to the welcome/ forum select page. I did find its name though. It was called the Familiarist.  :banghead

back to the hunt i guess.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Frost Wolf

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:04:45 PM »
I'm not sure. I could have sworn it was only 5 levels long. I've tracked down the person who made it and sent them a message. Unless they've abandoned Wizards hopefully they'll contact me. In the mean time I found the name of a 3rd party book that might have something to offer.

thanks for your time
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:12:23 PM by Frost Wolf »

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 12:16:17 AM »
The Fleshwarper is a familiar+graft-focused PrC from Lords of Madness.  Very cool flavor.

telehax

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 01:08:08 AM »
Totemist 2/Soulcaster X with the share soulmeld feat.
This assumes you traded your familiar with something else and then took obtain familiar, so the familiar progresses with any caster level.

You lose two caster levels, but hey, Ravens with girallon's arms. :P:P

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »
Fiendblooded from Heroes of Horror gives your familiar the fiendish template.

Frost Wolf

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
I'll cut-N-paste what I have so far.

Generic Arcane Caster (UA)-5 (Set in stone. No Wizard or other prepared casters as I'm suck of spellbook management)

2 feats, any 4 skills of my choice. I'm thinking Spellcraft, Handle Animal, Concentration and UMD.

-Human with a Flaw (I'm up to 6 feats at level 5.).
(I am aware of the changling caster class, but I'd rather have the human feat and skill points seeing as all my pets will share my skill ranks.)

Alienist is out. I'm not taking 5 levels to get the template when I have no desire to summon.

Fleshwarper isn't worth it either. I've never played in a game that grants down time long enough to craft anything short of a scroll.

War Weaver looks good. I can meet the reqs with ease. I just have to make sure it won't be redundant with the familiar's share spells ability. Even if it is, This will help the party.

Spell Sovereign from Dragon 357 gets a living spell as a familiar, So I'll take a hit to my spells, but get an ooze pet. No more than 4 levels unless I skip W.W.

Pet list is looking like:

"Something Undead" (Won't work well with W.W., but I can get it Spellstitched. I just need to find something I can get early with a wis of 13+. The ability to speak and hold a wand is a plus, but I do have a way around that I think.)

Eye tyrant (tiny beholder from Faerun. it can deliver touch spells with its eye rays)

Living Spell. (too bad Mage Armor isn't a good target for living spell...)

(those 3 are set in stone. The bottom two I may swap out if a better option presents itself)

A construct of some sort. I'm Still looking and prefer to stay in the official books, but I'm not shy about using 3rd party stuff either. Now where did I see that voodoo doll familiar...?

A Plant Familiar. I saw one someplace. It was a vine thingy that twined around the master and granted a tiny AC bonus or something. I think it had a poison or grew goodberries as well.

Anyways. that is the plan so far. I'll be using the rituals from Spells and Spellcraft to buy my pets some abilities (using my gold and xp) as needed to give them a little boost now and then.

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 05:13:58 PM »
If you want a contruct per why not a Hommunculus? IIRC you can construct it as a spellcaster It cost a feath thoug

Frost Wolf

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 01:14:22 PM »
Squeee! I found it! Easy entry and ten levels. BUT it is only for a non improved familiar. Thats okay, I can work with that.

So UA caster-5/ Familiarist-10/ Still got 5 levels to fill, but I know of a book that has a familiar based class in it. I just need to track a copy down!  :cake :cake :cake

For anyone else who wants to see it.
http://www.heliodragon.com/index.php/d20/familiarist

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 08:44:06 PM »
Totemist 2/Soulcaster X with the share soulmeld feat.
This assumes you traded your familiar with something else and then took obtain familiar, so the familiar progresses with any caster level.

You lose two caster levels, but hey, Ravens with girallon's arms. :P:P

Ravens can't grapple even with girallon arms.  Go incarnate and use Acid Spittle.  Ravens can shoot pretty decently, with their small size and okay Dex... even better if your DM rules he gets BAB from psuedo-HD.