Author Topic: From the Novels of the Dresden Files  (Read 4231 times)

jacemachine

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Powered by Coffee. Driven by Insanity--
    • MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
From the Novels of the Dresden Files
« on: October 09, 2009, 03:30:46 PM »
I'm really enjoying this series of books by Jim Butcher and I just started up an Urban Arcana game that is moderately inspired by it.

Any fans of the series out there? Has anyone taken anything from the Dresden Files and adapted it for use in your home game?

His ability to Listen is likely a high Listen skill, since the character if Harry Dresden has stated that he doesn't believe that it has anything to do with his abilities of Magic.

Wizard's Sight could be handled with a side-effect of a Sanity mechanic-- because what a Wizard Sees it stays with him for the rest of his/her life, and as sharp as if he had JUST viewed it.

Opinions? Thoughts?
Current PbP Games
The Artifact (Prologue) as GM
[d20M] Isle Noir: Bad Karma as GM

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, playing as Father Ezekiel Ambrose

"When the GM smiles, it's already too late." --Anonymous Doomed Gamer

MasterVega

• Master of what? Well, I'm not exactly sure...
    • Email
Re: From the Novels of the Dresden Files
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 10:35:31 PM »
Start reading the series roughly two months ago. Stopped reading 'cause the semester started and I don't have as much time anymore. 'Tis an awesome series indeed, and doesn't fall into most of the retarded tropes that plague the supernatural mystery genre.

As for converting stuff into my d20 games. Sort of. I'm working on a Foci Magus for my Traditional Fantasy D20/Haul. Basically the caster gets a certain number of points to spend on different foci. These can make certain spells cheaper or hit harder, or have other sorts of effects. His spellcasting is also rather limited outside of using his foci, which are each dedicated to a different school of magic.
Not so much from The Dresden Files as inspired by them.

I'm considering making a D&D3.5 version of the class just to see what people think. It certainly won't be on the same tier as a D&D Wizard, but that's okay I think. I suppose I could make it an AdC or PdC for D20Modern. It'd probably fit better there, actually.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:48:37 PM by MasterVega »
I might be insane, but at least I\'m not deluded...

My Art! :D

Current PbP Games:
The Good, the Bad, and the Undead as Cedric McDouglan, ex-soldier shadow hunter.

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
I play Modern near exclusively, so I give a slightly biased inclination towards that system.

Yeah I started reading them about 2 months ago as well. I'm on Proven Guilty now... book 8 I guess? I am loving it-- the TV series was... it was okay, after getting this far through the series though the TV show's 9 episodes have become damn near unwatchable though-- oh well.

Create Magic Circle is an important and low level class ability I would think. Harry uses circles in every novel and their uses are numerable.

Create Wizards Staff maybe this would be gained at a medium level. The wizard needs to carve his own staff and imbue it with his will. The finished staff would be carved in runes, and be a magic focus--

Doesn't it feel like the author Jim Butcher plays Harry in a weekly d20M Urban Arcana game with homerules? Just reading his work it is obvious that he is a gamer. (Harry is mentioned himself playing D&D with Billy the werewolf and his college buddies/pack.)

Michael Carpenter = Paladin (D&D)/ Holy Knight (D20M). It is a blatant fit.
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 03:32:42 PM »
From looking around on the intarweb:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,8742.msg639699.html#msg639699
Quote from: vultur
If one wanted to use d20, d20 Modern would probably be the best base. Pure Mortals could use the base classes without any modification: Minor Talents and the weaker Changelings/Scions, as well as any other supernaturals who are 'one-trick ponies', would still use the base classes, but simply with a template applied (with their weak powers balanced by minor weaknesses: for example, Changelings weak enough to use this setup would have one minor ability, either a very weak magical one, a weak bonus feat, or simply a bonus to an ability score, and would be vulnerable to iron; they might also suffer a penalty to certain social skills as they have less free will.)

For example:
Changeling (Minor) - Troll Born
*Bonus Feat: Toughness
*+2 racial bonus to Intimidate checks.
*Fae Vulnerabilities: A minor changeling without Damage Reduction suffers +25% damage (round up) from iron weapons. The troll-born also suffers a -4 penalty to one skill from the following list: Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Sense Motive.

Or:
Minor Talent - Precognitive
* Future Sight: A precognitive gains a +1 competence bonus on Armor Class against attacks by mortal opponents.
*+2 competence bonus to Bluff and Sense Motive checks
* Bound by Time: A precognitive suffers a -2 penalty to all Charisma-based skill checks except Bluff.
* Council's Ward: A precognitive can be detected by Wardens and other members of the White Council who are within X feet. Any breaking of the Laws is detectable from a much greater radius.

Things like a Red Court Infected would be a template too, with greater bonuses and much greater penalties. The key would be: are the abilities greatly improvable by practice? Things that are (Wizard, Sorcerer) are classes; things that aren't (Red Court Infected), or are profoundly limited in how they can be improved (Minor Talent) are templates. I'm tempted to say that White Court Vampire is a class, since there seem to be greatly varying degrees of skill/power in the use of the vampire abilities, but it might be both (a template for the base abilities, and a class for refining the abilities.)

EDIT TO ADD:
Of the types we've seen so far:
Classes:
Wizard (Basic Class)
Sorcerer (Basic Class) - may be the same class as wizard with different options chosen
White Court Vampire (Basic Class)
Werewolf (Advanced Class - but with low prerequisites)*
Faithful (Basic Class)
Faerie Court Knight (Advanced Class)
as well as the basic classes from D20 Modern, for plain mortals and minor talents...

Template:
Changeling (actually several templates depending on Fae parent)
Lycanthrope
Minor Talent (actually several templates depending on specific power)
Red-Court Infected
White-Court Born

* I personally disagree with Werewolf being an AdvC-- it would certainly be a template. Just as Lycanthrope and the other one with the really big Werewolf of London style creature.
Also, lest ye not forget the Black-Court Vampires as well... those walking corpse-like bastards.

"And for my next trick... anvils!" - Harry Dresden
Current PbP Games

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »
Classes

* Wizard (Advanced Class) - would be a Dresden-Appropriate style class
* Warden (Prestige Class) - These guys are baddasses. They're powerful wizards in their own right AND they get to execute Black Magic users and Vampires with their Enchantment Breaking Blades!
* Holy Knight (Prestige Class UA) - The Knights of the Cross/Sword.
* Blackstaff (Prestige Class) - BlackOps/Wetworks Wizard/Warden working under secret orders of the White Council. Using magic to kill, breaking the very Laws of Magic that the Wardens uphold so dear to accomplish what MUST be accomplished in dark times.
* Special Investigations Officer (Advanced Class) - Police Officer/Detective working for the Strange Occurences Department of the Police force. Mundanes only.
* Soldier (Advance Class CR) - When Magic isn't enough to Get the Job Done.

Just my two cents.
Current PbP Games

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »
I think for the general purpose magic(rituals and stuff, rather than combat/minute time evocation), you could take a leaf from one of the more flexible magic systems like Mage as well, saving the quick and dirty magic for proper spells.

The casting stuff itself, particularly in combat, seems seed/point based, with foci being useful for most magics(particularly, combat magic, where every bit helps). The foci themselves seem to be craftable by any decent spellcaster, though making one of any strength requires real talent.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

jacemachine

• MySpace, not yours.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 02:21:52 PM »
I think for the general purpose magic(rituals and stuff, rather than combat/minute time evocation), you could take a leaf from one of the more flexible magic systems like Mage as well, saving the quick and dirty magic for proper spells.

The casting stuff itself, particularly in combat, seems seed/point based, with foci being useful for most magics(particularly, combat magic, where every bit helps). The foci themselves seem to be craftable by any decent spellcaster, though making one of any strength requires real talent.

If you've ever read Monte Cook's World of Darkness d20 campaign book, you'll know how excellent the magic system is. It captures the fluid and highly inventive Mage magic system, and puts it to good use with a d20 build.

I'm thinking about changing over to this systems magic for use in my Urban Arcana game.
Current PbP Games

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 03:45:38 PM »
Essentially, yeah, though of course, you'd have to work out what spells you actually have as your specialities(things you can cast without a ritual, as well as standard foci), and what you can manage to pull off in combat(variations from your usual spells, likely, unless you want everyone to pause and build one from scratch mid battle).
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 05:30:51 PM »
You should probably try to integrate some kind of specialization mechanic into the wizard class as that seems to be what most of the characters have. Possibly give each character 3 groups of magic they can do often along with a more limited number of general spells. Harry would likely have the three groups being divination, fire magic and force magic. Or maybe give more benefits the fewer groups a person chooses, so a person who takes only abjuration as a focus, like the white court's Merlin, would be incredibly powerful in that area.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:49:55 AM »
Well, what I'm seeing in Harry is 2 specialities, the one we see most often is Forces, with a subfocus on kinetic energy and fire. His shield is derived from that.
If going by Mage rules, hes a fairly simple Forces and Space(the one to use with search and sympathetic magic) guy. Though it's implied hes not very good at precision with Forces. Or precision in general.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »
Well, what I'm seeing in Harry is 2 specialities, the one we see most often is Forces, with a subfocus on kinetic energy and fire. His shield is derived from that.
If going by Mage rules, hes a fairly simple Forces and Space(the one to use with search and sympathetic magic) guy. Though it's implied hes not very good at precision with Forces. Or precision in general.
He is good at precise divination magics and similar effects. It is just we never really see that all that much in the novels as the novels are about the action packed part of his life where the evocations are used more. Like the voodoo doll town in his lab, that is a rather impressive piece of precision craftsmanship.

jacemachine