Author Topic: HERO system, specifically Champions  (Read 5277 times)

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
Re: HERO system, specifically Champions
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 11:38:30 PM »
HERO does have a forum like most companies.  Im unsure if the advice there is any good, but you can always peek.

And I can always help I played it for years in the older editions.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 04:05:57 AM »
That's exactly what it is, yes.  Hero is the UNIX of gaming--a framework which you can use to build damned near anything, if you're willing to invest the time and effort.  There's a substantial learning curve, but once you've learned it, you can use it to do some remarkable things.  I like my games at two extremes; Hero represents one of those extremes.
It is a skill + fighting game where you can drift between a number of related concepts.  The two games from Hero are Mutants and Masterminds and True20.  MM is in every way better and easier than champions.  And True20 is a better skill+fighting toolbox game.

There are a few items of interest to a burgeoning game designer, initiative for example.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Tazendra

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
I like the Hero system for its flexibility. It is easily abusable, but with the right group of people its a great system for creating high powered games. I agree with what someone else said earlier in the thread. GURPs is a bit better for doing lower powered games, but for higher powered games its great.

And I have to love a game where there are rules for throwing buses at people.

ronyon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 01:39:05 AM »
Im curious about this emergent behavior discussion.
I played Hero for years, from back when it was called Champions, and came in a box.
First character I ever made was supposed to use teleportation for movement, and to remove  chunks of flesh from mine enemies.
I bought Teleport, usable on others, and didnt understand why that wouldnt work.  ???
I learned, learned to love the game, and in playing the game , I learned optimization.
The combat system stinks, and I hate having to pay points for the right to carry a club.
That being said, it did let me get the powers i wanted.
M+M seems to have a good fix for a lot of Heroes weaknesses.
I only have 1st edition, which suffered from Armor being thedefense, and from poor rules transparency(the true "build your own power secrets" were explained on a single page)
Other than that it rocked, but i couldnt get my crew to play.
Most of my DMs  get caught up in buying or designing a perfect game system.I just want to play, so I will take what ever works well enough, trusting the people I play with to make it great.

BTW, I asked about the 1st edition flaws of M+M in another thread, but lost track of it. Anyone able to tell me about these aspects of the game in its 2cond edition?