Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer. Version 5.0  (Read 135854 times)

Sooner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Human Factotum 1 - D&D Focus
Re: Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer. Version 5.0
« Reply #560 on: November 03, 2009, 04:22:21 AM »
Q166: Does the bonus from items and leveling up Stats apply to skill points?
Q166B: Do these bonuses have to be applied from the time they are acquired or from the start?

Q167: For the purpose of the Factotum class feature Brains Over Brawn what counts as a Str and Dex check? Is it essentially rewriting the Dex and Str scores with a new total?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:40:50 AM by Sooner »

Cephid Arcanis

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #561 on: November 03, 2009, 04:38:49 AM »
Q165:
Are manuvers taken for martial classes independently of each other, or do they 'overlap'?

I have levels in Crusader and white raven tactics.
A) If I take a level in Warblade, can I ready white raven tactics (my Crusader manuvers)?

B) If not, can I use a cursader white Raven strike (battle leaders charge) to meet the pre-requisites for taking white raven tactics as a Warblade manuver?

C) If also not, can I take the requisite and white raven tactics as Warblade manuvers and use them multiple times in a battle? (i.e from Warblade and Crusader)
Option B.  You can't ever have more than one "copy" of a maneuver known.

Option B involves using a manuver from the white raven school that I got with Crusader to meet the pre-requisites for picking up white raven tactics as a Warblade manuver. That way I would have it on both my Warblade list AND my Crusader list. Is that what you mean?

Maybe I should ask it another way:
Q168 Can I ready white raven tactics as a Warblade and have it as an available manuver for Crusader?

Q169 If YES, to do this do I need to purchase it separately at level-ups for each of them?

Q170 If YES, can I use Crusader manuvers known as pre-requisites for new Warblade manuvers known?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 08:20:53 AM by Cephid Arcanis »
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #562 on: November 03, 2009, 08:04:58 AM »
A166
A character does not retroactively get additional skill points for previous levels if she increases her intelligence.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/thebasics.htm

This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/WondrousItems.htm#headbandofIntellect

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #563 on: November 03, 2009, 09:49:29 AM »
Q171 Other than Illumian, are there any ways to change your primary casting stat? If I am reading right Illumian doesn't change the stat required for higher DCs... and that's important too  :D

Phaenix

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #564 on: November 03, 2009, 09:55:05 AM »
Q167: For the purpose of the Factotum class feature Brains Over Brawn what counts as a Str and Dex check? Is it essentially rewriting the Dex and Str scores with a new total?

A167: BoB applies to any skill based on STR or DEX, but adds INT, rather than replacing the normal ability modifier. Likewise it adds to Ability checks, which include breaking down doors, threading needles, and INITIATIVE, which is a DEX check. It also applies to Bull Rush, Overrun, and Trip attempts, all of which involve Strength checks.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #565 on: November 03, 2009, 10:19:00 AM »
Q165:
Are manuvers taken for martial classes independently of each other, or do they 'overlap'?

I have levels in Crusader and white raven tactics.
A) If I take a level in Warblade, can I ready white raven tactics (my Crusader manuvers)?

B) If not, can I use a cursader white Raven strike (battle leaders charge) to meet the pre-requisites for taking white raven tactics as a Warblade manuver?

C) If also not, can I take the requisite and white raven tactics as Warblade manuvers and use them multiple times in a battle? (i.e from Warblade and Crusader)
Option B.  You can't ever have more than one "copy" of a maneuver known.

Option B involves using a manuver from the white raven school that I got with Crusader to meet the pre-requisites for picking up white raven tactics as a Warblade manuver. That way I would have it on both my Warblade list AND my Crusader list. Is that what you mean?

Maybe I should ask it another way:
Q168 Can I ready white raven tactics as a Warblade and have it as an available manuver for Crusader?

Q169 If YES, to do this do I need to purchase it separately at level-ups for each of them?

Q170 If YES, can I use Crusader manuvers known as pre-requisites for new Warblade manuvers known?
Sorry, I missed the "...and white raven tactics" part before the alpha listings.

A 168: You cannot know a maneuver twice.  Once you know it on one class's maneuvers known, you cannot gain it again.  It does count as knowing a maneuver from that discipline so far as all your classes (and future choices of maneuvers known) are concerned.

A 169: You cannot do this

A 170: You can use Crusader maneuvers known as prereq's for Warblade maneuvers known.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #566 on: November 03, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
A 168: You cannot know a maneuver twice.  Once you know it on one class's maneuvers known, you cannot gain it again.  It does count as knowing a maneuver from that discipline so far as all your classes (and future choices of maneuvers known) are concerned.

Sorry, one last clarification:
If I know white raven tactics (which I got from crusader), can I ready it in one of my Warblade slots?
(and hence use it from both Crusader and Warblade in one combat)
"It is the mark of a practiced mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it"

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #567 on: November 03, 2009, 11:02:58 AM »

Sorry, one last clarification:
If I know white raven tactics (which I got from crusader), can I ready it in one of my Warblade slots?
(and hence use it from both Crusader and Warblade in one combat)

The answer is no. Maneuvers aren't different from, say, spells known. You can't ready a maneuver from one class into another's slot.

This is because otherwise you'd A) have a headache determining IL, and B) would probably use Swordsage to pick up a large numbers of maneuvers known and dump them all in Crusader slots (because they have the best recovery mechanic).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #568 on: November 03, 2009, 11:13:53 AM »
The answer is no. Maneuvers aren't different from, say, spells known. You can't ready a maneuver from one class into another's slot.

But a wizard3/cleric7 can each learn, prepare and cast detect magic because there spell lists are independent and it is on both of their lists. They would each use their respective CL.

White Raven tactics is on both the Warblade and Crusader list. Why would it be any different?

Smokey_the_bear

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #569 on: November 03, 2009, 11:56:42 AM »

But a wizard3/cleric7 can each learn, prepare and cast detect magic because there spell lists are independent and it is on both of their lists. They would each use their respective CL.

White Raven tactics is on both the Warblade and Crusader list. Why would it be any different?

Wizards and Clerics gain access to that spell from their independent Arcane/Divine spells lists while Crusader and Warblade get them from the White Raven maneuver list. It's the fact that it would be taking the same maneuver (spell) twice from the same list. If there were Warblade or Crusader specific maneuver lists then yes, you'd be able to take it twice.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 12:01:16 PM by Smokey_the_bear »

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #570 on: November 03, 2009, 01:42:28 PM »
Q171

If a Warforged becomes a Dragonborn and takes the Adamantine Body feat (which, still being a Warforged, he still meets the prereqs for), does that negate one of the major losses for becoming Dragonborn?
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #571 on: November 03, 2009, 01:51:27 PM »
Yes.  He would keep his Composite Plating (in adamantine form).
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #572 on: November 03, 2009, 02:43:33 PM »

Wizards and Clerics gain access to that spell from their independent Arcane/Divine spells lists while Crusader and Warblade get them from the White Raven maneuver list. It's the fact that it would be taking the same maneuver (spell) twice from the same list. If there were Warblade or Crusader specific maneuver lists then yes, you'd be able to take it twice.
But what you could do is simply start with a warblade/crusader base, throw on a PrC or two, then later on nab WRT for both classes.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Takanaki

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #573 on: November 03, 2009, 06:29:29 PM »
Q172 Could someone post the stats for Loredrake here, a screenshot or something. I don't have the book and would like to read about it.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #574 on: November 03, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »
Q172 Could someone post the stats for Loredrake here, a screenshot or something. I don't have the book and would like to read about it.

A172: Lose divine spellcasting, racial d12's become d10's, gain 2 effective casting progression and caster levels of sorcerer, gain Spellcraft as a skill if you don't have it already (which is stupid, as Dragons have ALL skills as class skills).
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

TunFiskeMad

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #575 on: November 03, 2009, 07:40:52 PM »
Q173: After they changed the quicken spell to a swift action have they ever stated that you can cast more quickened spells per round ?
(stupid question that just popped into my head)

tallan

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #576 on: November 03, 2009, 08:11:11 PM »
Q174: Does a hexblade's Arcane Resistance stack with a paladin's Divine Grace against Spells?
Deep in the tomb of indelible gloom, an angel waits to die.
High on the peak, where only fools seek, a dragon tried to get high.
To which one we go, well f*ck if I know, the point is to question why.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #577 on: November 03, 2009, 08:57:40 PM »
Q175: Bind Vestige and Improved Bind Vestige. Do I get a 1st and a 3rd? Or just the 3rd?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #578 on: November 03, 2009, 09:17:02 PM »
A 174

It's an untyped bonus and a different ability, so yes.

A 175

You can choose one of the Vestiges from the Bind Vestige list to bind and gain two abilities thereof. This can be any Vestige you're allowed to bind. You can even switch on a day-per-day basis, if memory serves.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:21:57 PM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Cephid Arcanis

« Reply #579 on: November 03, 2009, 10:28:31 PM »

But what you could do is simply start with a warblade/crusader base, throw on a PrC or two, then later on nab WRT for both classes.

Really? Sounds great! I'll do that. Thanks Surreal. (and Smokey_the_bear and Kuroimaken)