Author Topic: Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer. Version 5.0  (Read 135833 times)

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer. Version 5.0
« Reply #320 on: October 21, 2009, 02:17:40 PM »
Q93
An item in Faith of Ebberon has the following effect:
"Three times per day, it allows you to substitute a domain spell of equal or lower level for the spell you are actually casting. [example omitted so I don't copy to much directly]. These spells functions in all ways as if you had cast them (Caster Level, save DC and the like).

Does the "in all ways as if you had cast them" include experience and material component costs?
1) try to be less cryptic in your questions.
2) I am certain that no sane DM would say that it allows you to ignore XP or M costs.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #321 on: October 21, 2009, 05:51:50 PM »
Q93
An item in Faith of Ebberon has the following effect:
"Three times per day, it allows you to substitute a domain spell of equal or lower level for the spell you are actually casting. [example omitted so I don't copy to much directly]. These spells functions in all ways as if you had cast them (Caster Level, save DC and the like).

Does the "in all ways as if you had cast them" include experience and material component costs?
1) try to be less cryptic in your questions.
2) I am certain that no sane DM would say that it allows you to ignore XP or M costs.

2a) That's kinda like saying "don't crap out of the toilet or Bigfoot is gonna come for you".
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

pithica

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #322 on: October 21, 2009, 06:41:25 PM »
Repeat of my earlier question(s)-

I swear I did a google for this, and read through the ToB cust-serv questions and ToB compilation before asking.

Q72: How does the crown of white ravens and associates work for multi-class martial adepts?

1. Are the granted maneuvers just considered maneuvers known for one class, or for all classes, or for just the ones with a high enough IL (for high level maneuvers)?
2. Are the granted maneuvers automagically readied, or do they take up one of your 'readied' slots? (I assume you have to ready them in a slot, at least this is what I'm gathering from the 'add to maneuvers known' text in the description. It's just the fact that it also uses the term 'granted' which is the same term used to describe readied and available maneuvers for crusader's that's throwing me off.)
3. Like learning maneuvers, can maneuvers from different adept classes cover the pre-requisites of the maneuver from the item? (I assume that's a yes since actual maneuvers and martial study work that way.)

I can just err on the side of caution with them, but I only just read the entry for the items 2 nights ago, and would like to get the opinion from people that have actually used them in play for a while before I go acting as rules-lawyer for it in my groups.

Third time a charm?????

If it's too complicated for you, try this instead of question #1.

If a Swordsage with an IL of 15 has 4 Diamond Mind maneuver's known, can he buy a Master Ring of the Diamond Mind (from the jewelers at Crown of the White Raven and Co) to add Time Stand Still to his maneuver's known? I suspect the answer is no, but the wording of the item says you only have to meet the prerequisite, which he would. And I've gotten the impression from other threads that these items work like the Martial Study feat, in that IL isn't necessarily a pre-req for learning the maneuvers. I'm just trying to clarify that point, really, more than anything else, because it drastically effect's maneuver readying for multi-class adepts.

I'm pretty certain I understand the answer for 2 and 3.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #323 on: October 21, 2009, 09:22:47 PM »
Q95: Would the feat Shorten Grip (attack adjacent targets with a polearm at -2 to hit, from Dr331) function with the Eldritch Glaive (Dragon Magic) invocation?

Shorten Grip specifically mentions a polearm, and while Eldritch Glaive is considered a reach weapon, polearm isn't mentioned (excepting all the references to glaives).
This space intentionally left blank.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: October 21, 2009, 09:25:44 PM »
A95: why not take the feat Short haft from player's handbook 2, which does the same thing, but with no penalty?

Also, I don't have the feat or the invocation in front of me, but I imagine since the Eldritch Glaive is considered a Glaive, the Short Haft feat would work.

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #325 on: October 21, 2009, 09:29:24 PM »
Short haft takes a swift action to use, and makes me choose between threatening adjacent or threatening reach. I'd rather take the penalty and threaten both. Eldritch Glaive "appears similar to a glaive" but you make attacks "as if you were wielding a reach weapon." Of course, I think there are only three reach weapons in the whole game that aren't polearms, but...
This space intentionally left blank.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #326 on: October 21, 2009, 11:55:38 PM »
Q96: The Spellwarped template from MM3: there is no duration listed for the resistance, speed, or temporary hp abilities (there is for the enhancement bonuses, however).  How long do these last, or could a Spellwarped caster boost their speed to rediculous levels by willingly failing their spell-penetration checks on spells they cast on themselves over a period of time?
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

kalaskaagathas

• Bi-Curious George
  • "Seek Perfection of Character" - Gichin Funakoshi
« Reply #327 on: October 22, 2009, 12:25:00 AM »
^Having asked that earlier, an answer would be great  :D

Q97:Does anyone have confirmation of the existence of the legendary 'Sane DM'?

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: October 22, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »
^Having asked that earlier, an answer would be great  :D

Q97:Does anyone have confirmation of the existence of the legendary 'Sane DM'?

A97: Going on the basis of sanity being subjective, and the question objective, the objective answer is no :)

Q98: Does anyone know offhand which class gets the most spells known between Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, and Warmage?
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: October 22, 2009, 06:01:06 AM »
A98: I don't know off the top of my head, but IMarvinTPA says that there are ~100 spells on the Beguiler spell list, and that's longer than the other two spell lists in question.

Surreal

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #330 on: October 22, 2009, 07:16:01 AM »
A 96: By strict RAW, those gains would last forever. By RAI/sanity, 1 minute. Mind you, even if the gains lasted forever, you likely couldn't stack them since the bonuses all come from the same source. It's all fluffy and debatable though. YMMV.
---
"The late, sedate, and no to great." ~Surreal

Some Handy Links for CO Work (WotC 339 version) - a compilation of links for base/prestige class handbooks, tactics, spellcasting, character builds, D&D databases, etc.
Archived version of the above with working links

The Mango Index - a giant index for all things D&D and where to find them
The Mango List Reborn! - rehosted by KellKheraptis

Lists of Stuff - listing of class features etc and how to get them, etc. sort of like above but a little more specific and sorted by category
Polymorph, Wildshape and Shapechange, oh my! (comparison charts) - side-by-side comparison of all the various form altering abilities
Alternative Class Features
alternative ways to get class skills

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: October 22, 2009, 07:19:19 AM »
Q 99:

rypta

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #332 on: October 22, 2009, 10:52:59 AM »
Q100: Are there any other ways of obtaining an ability equivalent to the Spellguard of the Silverymoon ability that allows you to cast personal spells on others?  I'd be particularly interested in an item or a feat, but other classes could work too.

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #333 on: October 22, 2009, 12:54:23 PM »
A99: We made a list of the wizard spells that can be used with spellwarp.  It's not clear from the list, but frost breath (Spell Compendium) dazes targets who fail there reflex saves for 1 round.  It may be time for an update to make that sort of thing clearer (and put sorcerer-only spells on the list). 

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: October 22, 2009, 01:00:33 PM »
A99 Part 2 You could also plug in the parameters with which you wish to search here: http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.php
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #335 on: October 22, 2009, 01:17:48 PM »
Q 101

I seem to recall some trick that allowed a spontaneous caster to prepare spells and thus gain access to Sanctified and Corrupt spells. Does anyone have a link/explanation of how this works?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #336 on: October 22, 2009, 01:23:18 PM »
A101: The feat arcane preparation (Complete Arcane) would work for arcane spontaneous casters. 

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #337 on: October 22, 2009, 01:28:11 PM »
A101: The feat arcane preparation (Complete Arcane) would work for arcane spontaneous casters. 
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I had been under the impression it was some obscure feat or trick in an obscure splat, and yet there it's sitting right under my nose.  :embarrassed

Q 101b

Is there anything similar for divine casters like Favored Soul?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #338 on: October 22, 2009, 01:41:49 PM »
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I had been under the impression it was some obscure feat or trick in an obscure splat, and yet there it's sitting right under my nose.  :embarrassed

Q 101b

Is there anything similar for divine casters like Favored Soul?

Spirit Shaman, potentially? Doesn't get access to the cleric list though.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: October 22, 2009, 03:51:18 PM »
A99: We made a list of the wizard spells that can be used with spellwarp.  It's not clear from the list, but frost breath (Spell Compendium) dazes targets who fail there reflex saves for 1 round.  It may be time for an update to make that sort of thing clearer (and put sorcerer-only spells on the list). 

Thanks. Curiously, Frost Breath on that list didn't mention that it Dazes on failed Ref-save, making me overlook it (I did find the list, but with the board formatting gone to Hades, it's hard to read). A quick search through Spell Compendium revealed said spell though; it's definitely gonna be on my list - being level 2 is a nice bonus and 5d4 damage is plenty when I add 15d6 or so to it.

A99 Part 2 You could also plug in the parameters with which you wish to search here: http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.php

Hm, comprehensive but clunky. Thanks.