Author Topic: The Unofficial Artificer Player's Guide 3.0  (Read 136202 times)

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
Re: The Unofficial Artificer Player's Guide 3.0
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2009, 01:02:49 AM »
But of course, the question was feats.

Combining Improved Unarmed Strike and Multiattack can add an extra attack to their routine, as you can combine unarmed and natural attacks.  Especially good if you have additional damage sources, like Sneak Attack.

Your homunculi qualify for Martial Stance and Martial Study (Tome of Battle), so look through first-level stances and maneuvers.  At higher levels, Ironheart Aura becomes an option, for that +2 save buff.  Some good options include Leading the Attack/Charge, Island of Blades, Burning Blade, and possibly Crusader's Strike/Devoted Spirit.

Magic of Incarnum may have some interesting options, though I'm not familiar enough with the source material to make suggestions.

Traditional ubercharger tricks could help, though the dogs aren't as likely to be any good at it.

endragor

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2009, 06:56:58 AM »
tht of the tome of battle are realy good ideas^^ i'd never thought about them :P
but in those feats it says that your initator level it's equal to half your character level. and what about defenders lack of character level? (they only have hit dice) or im' dumb and missing something?

but i didn't understood well the improved unarmed strike... this give them another bite atack or a claw atack ?
anyway it's a good idea too :P

thanks for the help^^
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:04:57 AM by endragor »

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »
Racial hit die are a part of your character level for all purposes; total hit die for spell effects, hit points, maximum skill ranks, initiator level.  Everything.

As for what Improved Unarmed Strike?  It doesn't actually give them anything.  All creatures have access to unarmed strikes automatically.  This just allows them to use it to deal lethal damage without provoking an attack of opportunity.  It's not any sort of new attack form; just a lowly unarmed strike, probably at 1d2.  Because of the low damage, it's not particularly worthwhile unless you have a good source of bonus damage, like Sneak Attack.

KellKheraptis

• Organ Grinder
  • What's the matter? I thought you had me...
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2009, 10:17:24 PM »
I wonder if I could build a Transformer out of this with a Warforged.  Maybe take Psyforged Body and Psionic Artificer, then focus on transformation powers?  I would imagine due to existence of the Erudite that every spell and power (and thus every magical and psionic item) would be at your beck and call to craft, and since you're a Warforged, a good chunk of them can be internalized.  Maybe someone could post how all of that works, like what can be crafted into a Warforged?  Playing Megatron (complete with "Instruments of Destruction" blaring from a persistent spell :P) would fucking ROCK.
BG's Resident Black Hatter
The Mango List Reborn!
My Warmage Trickery (coming soon!)
My PrC Pally Trickery (coming soon!)
The D&D Archive
-Work in progress!

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »
Maybe someone could post how all of that works, like what can be crafted into a Warforged? 
Couldn't you internalize anything into a warforged with custom items?

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2010, 04:15:33 AM »
An Artificer who dips Cleric does well by taking Magic and Luck.  Magic allows wand use as you said, and Luck allows UMD rerolls for item creation.
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2010, 02:32:27 PM »
An Artificer who dips Cleric does well by taking Magic and Luck.  Magic allows wand use as you said, and Luck allows UMD rerolls for item creation.

UMD rerolls for Item creation are a bit of an overkill. You already can reroll every day the creation process is done, plus once more at the end of the process. For free. You can use that reroll on something that is not trivial in nature.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »

UMD rerolls for Item creation are a bit of an overkill. You already can reroll every day the creation process is done, plus once more at the end of the process. For free. You can use that reroll on something that is not trivial in nature.
Pride Domain would be a better choice.  Re-rolling 1's on saving throws is always handy.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

cru

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2010, 06:26:26 AM »
I have never seen an artificer in action, and I have hard time imagining it, with his 1 round or more casting times. I read the handbook and I think it should include few more resources. I believe most of it already exists in various guides, perhaps links would be enough.

Needed resources IMHO:
* suitable persistable spells (lvl 1-3?) for Metamagic Spell Completion
* list of obscure spell lists with lower-level spell access (here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872558/Lowest_level_versions_of_spells, was this ever moved to BG?)
* UMD boosters: custom items, core items, splatbook items, core spells, splatbook spells
* Look at artificer at lvl 5, 10, 13? like Treantmonk did for wizards (equip, memorization)
* Tactics in an encounter at each of the levels (especially if no time to buff) (something like: a wizard 5 starts combat with a haste, in the next round shoots ray of enfeeblement on the meanest melee enemy, then stays behind and shoots his crossbow).
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 06:28:40 AM by cru »

bayar

• Email
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2010, 06:51:12 AM »
Meh, just link Bunko's bin if you want items.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:29 PM »
I wonder if I could build a Transformer out of this with a Warforged.  Maybe take Psyforged Body and Psionic Artificer, then focus on transformation powers?  I would imagine due to existence of the Erudite that every spell and power (and thus every magical and psionic item) would be at your beck and call to craft, and since you're a Warforged, a good chunk of them can be internalized.  Maybe someone could post how all of that works, like what can be crafted into a Warforged?  Playing Megatron (complete with "Instruments of Destruction" blaring from a persistent spell :P) would fucking ROCK.

I always thought that warforged druids should do this... human > animal, Warforged > car?

lol

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2010, 11:12:32 PM »

I always thought that warforged druids should do this... human > animal, Warforged > car?

lol

Warforged Psion +Metamorphosis.  The power lets you turn into objects too, after all.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

bayar

• Email
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2010, 03:50:56 AM »

lol

I thought they wildshaped into blenders and washing machines. And if they got the Frozen wild shape feat, they could turn into a freezer...

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2010, 11:12:48 AM »

lol

I thought they wildshaped into blenders and washing machines. And if they got the Frozen wild shape feat, they could turn into a freezer...
Margaritas and mai tai's for everyone!
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

A_Shadow_of_Life

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2010, 06:44:56 PM »
Does anyone know of any Spells/Feats/Items that allow you to restore charges to items?

'Kay, Tanks, Bai!

(Okay, Thanks, Bye!)

:lovefirefox

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Ed-Zero

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2010, 08:11:50 PM »
In your list of Homunculi, you list the Ethereal Filcher.. I'm guessing you mean the Furtive Filcher in ECS. What I wouldn't give to have a homunculi that's stealth based and can turn ethereal to phase through walls and floors (essentially giving it the Ethereal Filcher's ability).

Tonymitsu

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2010, 11:33:22 PM »
Based on personal observations from playing one, I'd submit the following as advice.

Under the heading "Class Abilities":
-Skill Mastery-
At level 13, you are now allowed to Take 10 on Use Magic Device and Spellcraft checks, regardless of circumstances.
Say that with me again, "Use Magic Device AND Spellcraft Checks."
In short this means that if you have been keeping up UMD, and you still have to do any of that bothersome rolling of dice while you craft, you now should no longer have to.

In addition, as Intelligence is your primary stat, you can make good Spellcraft rolls as well.  The two most important Spellcraft DC's in the PHB are as follows a)Identifying an ongoing spell by witnessing it's effects (DC 20 + spell level), and b)Identifying a spell without seeing anything except the saving throw you just had to roll (DC 25 + spell level).  Note that creative DM's like to home-brew magical effects, which the guide recommends having DC's of 30 or higher.
Like most other artificer aspects, your mileage will vary depending on the other members of your party, but if you are the groups primary arcanist (I.E.: the only one that has Spellcraft as a class skill), then understanding what the f**k is going on around you when spells start flying is important!  Especially considering that magic wins D&D and you could be the guy that has do deal with the Fighter getting possessed by a Magic Jar.
If your DM doesn't like home-brewing things, the highest Spellcraft check you'll ever have to make is a 25 + 9th level spells or 34.
With a total bonus of 24 in Spellcraft, you'll never have to roll Spellcraft again past level 13.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:33:14 AM by Tonymitsu »

vrischika111

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2010, 09:02:55 AM »
a few comments:

the clockwork mender look like interesting to me:
1- only 1250 gp to create (before any reduction you might have)
2- as artificer, you can craft them as homonculi(so intelligent, no more active control needed)
3- opposed to eternal wand : it needs no action to heal you. eat one or two of those and gets healed from "inside" ;)

the RSL 4 for warforged is not interesting for a hordeficer.
I explain: you take the RSL 4, you gain tool of war (double XP for weapons/armors) but you loose craft homunculus.
you take craft construct later -> you can craft homunculus as well.
but read carefully improved homonculus feat : it does not upgrade homonculus on the fly if crafted with craft construct.
so you create a 3 HD homunculus: it gets a special power. you upgrade your 3hd to 3HD-> no special power (because not crafted with "create homunculus)

you could always retain essence on them and re-forge, but money is already an issue for them...
Do it. Or don't do it. But never regret !

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
anyone interested in caster level 15+ for item creation purposes by 7th level?
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
anyone interested in caster level 15+ for item creation purposes by 7th level?
sure
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]