Author Topic: The Unofficial Artificer Player's Guide 3.0  (Read 136205 times)

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: The Unofficial Artificer Player's Guide 3.0
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 08:00:49 PM »
Weapon Familiar is nowhere near as good as Item Familiar, and the substitution level grants Weapon Familiar.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 03:00:37 PM »
are you including materials from dragon mags? if so, there is one feat that has an interesting effect due to the wording. the feat "theurgic creationist" from dragon mag 325 on page 62. you have to have an item creation feat, and the ability to cast spells from two different spell lists. while an artificer has the first requirement down pat, they don't cast spells, requiring at least one level each in two other spellcasting classes. the benefit of the feat is that you get to add "all your caster levels" when qualifying for item creation feats or creating magic items. artificers do have caster levels as part of their class features.

the intention of the feat appears to be to allow a dual caster class character to create magic items as if they were a single caster class in either class by allowing them to add the caster levels from both classes together.

however with the addition of two "practiced caster" feats this can be subverted. roughly put, take a level of wizard, a level of cleric (or any other two classes that give access to two different spell lists) and then at least 4 levels of artificer. at first level take practiced caster for your (in this case) wizard or cleric levels, at third you take it again for the other class. at sixth you take the theugic creationist feat and add up "all your caster levels", as described in the feat.

which equals 1 from wizard, plus 4 from practiced caster-wizard, plus 1 from cleric, plus 4 from practiced caster-cleric, plus 4 from artificer; totaling 14 (or 16 for scrolls due to the artificer ability). take one more level of artificer to gain that capture essence ability... you're going to need it since trying to make items with that high caster level will quickly exceed your limited experience. it is suggested that you first make a +10 to umd skill item so that you can make the dc's to emulate the other aspects of crafting those high level items... all at 6th (or 7th) character level.

a friend of mine came up with this, and despite intensive research, this one seems solid... assuming that dragon mag materials are allowed in the first place. as it is, this will likely serve as yet one more reason not to allow dragon mag materials. ^^
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »
What would be some good level 1 spells to pick as spells known for a Dragonwrought Kobold Artificer?

His Caster Level for those spells won't exceed 2 for the rest of his career.

Also, any suggestions for a level 1 spell to pick as the Spell-like Ability for Draconic Rite of Passage (usable 1/day)?

Thanks,
Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2009, 04:19:28 PM »
I used Create Trap for my last kobold sorcerer, since it fit the theme of kobolds.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2009, 06:59:47 PM »
What would be some good level 1 spells to pick as spells known for a Dragonwrought Kobold Artificer?

His Caster Level for those spells won't exceed 2 for the rest of his career.

Also, any suggestions for a level 1 spell to pick as the Spell-like Ability for Draconic Rite of Passage (usable 1/day)?

Thanks,
Bowen

Silent Image is great and works fine without a good caster level. I like Instant Diversion (Races of the Dragon?) for another level 1 spell. For the Draconic Rite of Passage, I'd suggest Identify. As a Spell-Like, it won't cost you that 100 gp. If you intend to take Draconic Reservoir and get it 3/day, you might want to choose something less rarely-used, like Benign Transposition, Enlarge Person, or Grease.

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »
Enlarge person on a kobold  ???

Go with shrink person to be tiny and have a hide bonus of a diminutive creature.

Or take Identify as previously stated.

I took Fist of stone for my barbarian kobold  :D

Also, if Dragonwrought, look into other dragon archetypes that grant druid spells as arcane spells or cleric spells as arcane spells. A 1 level dip into wizard with Child or Eberron or other that grants cleric spellcasting as arcane will negate a crazzap load of UMD checks.

Also, Dragonwrought kobold with Flame of the forge archetype. Would you count as +4 your artificier level to determine the spells you can use in crafting items ? Also, gets retain essence at level 9 but this archetype doesnt grant a craft reserve so would the XP you drain be put into your normal XP if you werent an artificier ?

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 08:09:52 PM »
I kind of meant Enlarge Person for supporting the party. It's not like that or Reduce Person works on a Dragonwrought kobold anyway.

deuxhero

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 10:34:19 PM »
Did the House Jorasco entry just seriously recommend making potions? Wierd.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
  • Metal Genocider, maximum shooto!
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2009, 01:36:43 AM »
Artificers already get Identify as an infusion, so it's not worth getting as a spell.

I'd suggest Magecraft, particularly if you're investing in fun things like alchemy, poisonmaking, and creating your own constructs' bodies.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2009, 04:22:42 AM »
Can you pick up Ghoul Glyph?
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

bayar

• Email
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2009, 05:02:56 AM »
Artificers already get Identify as an infusion, so it's not worth getting as a spell.

I'd suggest Magecraft, particularly if you're investing in fun things like alchemy, poisonmaking, and creating your own constructs' bodies.

The Identify infusion still costs you a 100 gold pearl. The Kobold Draconic Rite of Passage spell is a Spell-like ability, meaning it does not reqire material components.

So essentially, free Identify 1/day or 3/day if you take the feat in the web enhancement.

Although with stuff like artificier's goggles that lets you identify stuff for free if you cast Detect magic or pass your artificier knowledge check...yeah, it might not be worth it.

It's kinda retarded that artificiers dont get Magecraft as an Infusion, but I guess that is subtle form of balance.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 05:05:36 AM by bayar »

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2009, 05:20:40 AM »
The thing is, the Artificer's Goggles cost, IIRC, 1500 gold. Meaning they won't pay for themselves until you've identified 15 items.

Keep in mind that to get the +1 of Sorcerer casting, you need to take the feat to get the spell-like ability 3/day, and you probably won't need to Identify three items per day.

bayar

• Email
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2009, 06:56:57 AM »
Ahem, you are an artificier. you dont buy a monocle for 1500 gold. You craft them. Assuming you get a 25 % discount from Extraordianry artisan (if you dont have it, then you probably dont like crafting, so go and play a Wizard or something), it only costs you 562 gold and 5 silver.

And I guarantee that you will cast Identify 6 times during a campaign (assuming the DM doesnt just say what the items are, if he does, he is DMing wrong), it will pay up very well. And wether you use your Artificier Knowledge (1d20 + arti level + INT bonus VS static DC 15) or cast a detect magic (wow, 4 gold 6 zilver and 9 copper per scroll of detect magic), you're going to come up way cheaper than using the identify spell.

Late edit: Was browsing through MM4 and it appears that you can craft Clockroaches and Clockwork Menders (not the swarm version sadly) as Homonculus.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 06:44:19 AM by bayar »

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2009, 06:53:42 PM »
Late edit: Was browsing through MM4 and it appears that you can craft Clockroaches and Clockwork Menders (not the swarm version sadly) as Homonculus.
Unfortunately, neither is all that good.  The clockroach may earn its keep using its acid for digger duty, but the mender doesn't repair enough damage to justify the price tag.  Just get an eternal wand of Repair Light Damage; considerably more bang for your buck and without the whole, "If this creature dies, you eat 2d10 damage," thing.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2009, 03:23:47 AM »
(assuming the DM doesnt just say what the items are, if he does, he is DMing wrong),

HEY!  I resemble that remark!

Seriously though, the identify thing just tends to be extra bookkeeping that costs the players a a few thousand gold at most.

I find that it's something that really doesn't change the game much at all if you remove it and just let players identify stuff with read or detect magic.

Viletta Vadim

• Curious George
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »
I find that it's something that really doesn't change the game much at all if you remove it and just let players identify stuff with read or detect magic.
I go with Appraise; make that skill a little more meaningful.

Operation Shoestring

• King Kong
  • Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2009, 02:02:13 AM »
I go with Appraise; make that skill a little more meaningful.

true enough, no one ever takes it otherwise.  (well unless you use make appraise affect the cost of buying/selling, like in NWN)

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2009, 02:17:19 AM »
If I was a dromite psionic artificer 8, what would be some good powers to keep in mind? 

Keep in mind that the party is level 4 and has shown themselves very handy in taking out single targets 5 CR levels above the group.  The build is part Blastoficer, part Hordaficer. 
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

endragor

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2009, 12:09:49 PM »
hi^^
i apoligize ahead for my bad enghlish, but im' italian :P

so, im' going to start an hordeficer, centered around that small metal dog.
i realized that they get feats as i increas their hd, but i dont have a good idea on wat to get.
i was aiming at at last 4 defenders so i'd liked to specialize them in different ways. maybe two kind of build.
having some hitter/flanker and some defender.
i'm also hallowed to change the first feat.
any sugestion? all books allowed :P

thanks

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2009, 12:42:58 AM »
I suggest you give at least a pair of Iron Defenders (the dogs) sneak attack so they can be flanking partners,...maybe it would be useful an extra source of damage like the flaming special ability or the like.