Author Topic: The Unofficial Artificer Player's Guide 3.0  (Read 136326 times)

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: The Unofficial Artificer Player's Guide 3.0
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 08:32:45 PM »
Not sure if it is optimal since I don't know if it is possible but I recall reading somewere that a warforged artificer could craft himself as a component a bag of holding type III I think inside its chest and use it as a working space for its dedicated wrights

Until he ends up in another extra-dimensional location and gets cast asunder across the astral...
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Dusk Eclipse

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 12:56:09 AM »
Not sure if it is optimal since I don't know if it is possible but I recall reading somewere that a warforged artificer could craft himself as a component a bag of holding type III I think inside its chest and use it as a working space for its dedicated wrights

Until he ends up in another extra-dimensional location and gets cast asunder across the astral...

Care to elaborate? I think I saw in the guide the usefulness of using a portable hole to set up the alchemical lab so I don't know how making a bag of holding into a component for warforged is different

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 12:58:26 AM »

Care to elaborate? I think I saw in the guide the usefulness of using a portable hole to set up the alchemical lab so I don't know how making a bag of holding into a component for warforged is different
Bag of holding inside bag of holding/portable hole/rope trick spell/ etc.
[Spoiler]

They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

[/spoiler]

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 01:04:28 AM »
And why making a bag of holding a warforged component  counts as a bag of holding inside a bag of holding and furthermore IIRC that restiction only aplies to a portable hole inside a bag of holding and viceversa

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 05:02:42 PM »
And why making a bag of holding a warforged component  counts as a bag of holding inside a bag of holding and furthermore IIRC that restiction only aplies to a portable hole inside a bag of holding and viceversa
It isn't that it counts as being inside one when you make it a component, it's if a warforged with a component like that steps/climbs into a BoH, Portable Hole, Kobold relic portable hole, etc.

Check the spell description for Rope Trick, and a lot of the other "slip away into a pocket dimension" spells. A lot of them have restrictions on portable hole/bags of holding.
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »
It isn't that it counts as being inside one when you make it a component, it's if a warforged with a component like that steps/climbs into a BoH, Portable Hole, Kobold relic portable hole, etc.

Check the spell description for Rope Trick, and a lot of the other "slip away into a pocket dimension" spells. A lot of them have restrictions on portable hole/bags of holding.

By "a lot of them" do you mean "rope trick only"? Also, rope trick says this:

Quote from: SRD
Note: It is hazardous to create an extradimensional space within an existing extradimensional space or to take an extradimensional space into an existing one.

The only interaction that's specifically defined is that between Portable Holes and Bags of Holding. Skip recommends that you ignore that note, and unlike some other times, I agree with him completely on this one.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 10:50:45 PM »

By "a lot of them" do you mean "rope trick only"? Also, rope trick says this:

Quote from: SRD
Note: It is hazardous to create an extradimensional space within an existing extradimensional space or to take an extradimensional space into an existing one.

The only interaction that's specifically defined is that between Portable Holes and Bags of Holding. Skip recommends that you ignore that note, and unlike some other times, I agree with him completely on this one.

And I stand corrected :)
[Spoiler]

[/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 11:21:41 PM »
Mention needs to be made of the Warforged Substitution levels.  As the only race with substitution levels for Artificiers, I find it annoying that it hasn't been mentioned.  The first substitution level is a no brainer as the Warforged literally loses nothing by taking the RSL and gains a nice little boost.  I personally like the second one as well, but the Weapon Familiar (in the third RSL) is a major question as to if it's better than Retain Essence.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 11:26:57 PM »
YAY for Warforged Artificers!!! I am actually playing a warforged artificer and I took the first subtitution level, the second one (ECL 4) it is a difficult decision, I like having my own homunculs for all my needs

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2009, 01:40:31 PM »
YAY for Warforged Artificers!!! I am actually playing a warforged artificer and I took the first subtitution level, the second one (ECL 4) it is a difficult decision, I like having my own homunculs for all my needs

You just need to get craft construct as a feat instead.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2009, 06:30:22 PM »
Yeah but why waste a feat slot that could be use in I don't know some metamagic? when you can have it for free?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2009, 06:39:10 PM »
Yeah but why waste a feat slot that could be use in I don't know some metamagic? when you can have it for free?
I don't know, because you get something even better for free?
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »
Don't have my copy of Races of Eberron here, so can you please tell me what do you get instead of Craft Homunculus?

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2009, 06:46:02 PM »
Don't have my copy of Races of Eberron here, so can you please tell me what do you get instead of Craft Homunculus?
The ability to make your craft reserve points count double for magic weapons, armor, shields, constructs, and enhancing living constructs. In other words, you'll almost never need to worry about paying XP for crafting again. Especially when combined with some of the other XP cost reduction tricks.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 06:47:48 PM »
 :banghead I retire what I said about not taking the 4rth sub level, thats even better than a hommunculus!!!

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 07:24:23 PM »
Weapon Familiar, IMHO, is NOT worth losing Retain Essence, though.

Besides, Craft Construct is a worthwhile feat to have.  There are some really nice constructs that can be made, homoculoui among them.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

By yes, she means no.
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 07:28:08 PM »
You only loose retain essence at level 5 which is the level that gets you Item familiar, and you can still get craft construct at level 6, If you wait two levels to get your hommunculi  they will  be at reduced cost

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 07:33:05 PM »
Sorry I didn't make myslef clearer.

The first two Warforged substitution levels are worth having.  The last is extremely debateable as Retain Essence is a rather powerful feature.

By yes, she means no.
[/spoiler]

Dusk Eclipse

• Email
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 07:36:43 PM »
Don't worry, and you are right Item familiar are not that useful and besides IIRC you can get one with a feat

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 07:55:36 PM »
Don't worry, and you are right Item familiar are not that useful and besides IIRC you can get one with a feat
No, that's a different Item Familiar.