Author Topic: Pokemans:  (Read 10411 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Pokemans:
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Staraptor, as far as I can tell, is exactly like a Pidgeot. Used for flying, gets decimated by way too many attacks. I was thinking about a typed Flyer (So... not Normal/Flying), but I dunno where to get those.

At Floaroma Town. Woo for more bugs. Starly evolved. I don't know how useful Giratina is. Other than being legendary, he seems... unneeded.

The thing is his HP is fairly high. High enough to withstand being hit by things like Garchomp or Darkrai. He's not as resistant as Magnezone, Skarmory, or Dialga, but he can tank fairly well and has a high Spec Attack for moves like Shadow Force or Draco Meteor.

He can take one or two hits, but his greatest strength is being able to hit first and hit hard, his attack stat is damn good.

It helps that it learns Close Combat as well, and Endeavour :)
...I think one of you is talking about Giratina and the other is talking about Staraptor.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
Staraptor, as far as I can tell, is exactly like a Pidgeot. Used for flying, gets decimated by way too many attacks. I was thinking about a typed Flyer (So... not Normal/Flying), but I dunno where to get those.

At Floaroma Town. Woo for more bugs. Starly evolved. I don't know how useful Giratina is. Other than being legendary, he seems... unneeded.

The thing is his HP is fairly high. High enough to withstand being hit by things like Garchomp or Darkrai. He's not as resistant as Magnezone, Skarmory, or Dialga, but he can tank fairly well and has a high Spec Attack for moves like Shadow Force or Draco Meteor.

He can take one or two hits, but his greatest strength is being able to hit first and hit hard, his attack stat is damn good.

It helps that it learns Close Combat as well, and Endeavour :)
...I think one of you is talking about Giratina and the other is talking about Staraptor.
Yeah, I was talking about Staraptor :lol
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »
There is so much I want...

I want a Drifblim. I only get them on fridays in Floaroma Windworks. Assuming it can fly, it could probably replace both Rotom (as a ghost) and Staraptor (as a Fly-slave). Or one of the two.

Looking at that, my final team is currently a Ghost/Flying, a Fire/Fighting, a Ground/Dragon, an Electric/Something (Either Steel, with the Trimagnet guy, Ghost, with Rotom, or just electric, with luxray) and a Poison/Flying Crobat. And one other, undecided pokemon.

Obviously, this leaves some gaping holes in my repetiore. The pokemon I'm most willing to drop is Crobat, but I'd like to replace that with Staraptor also. So, one slot. What is it?

Looking at the types, if I go with a Magnemite evolution, I'll have the ultimate wall. It's immune to ground attacks and takes half damage (at least) from like everything else.

However, I'll have no grass, water or ice types. Also, no Psychic types, something else I want a little bit. Any all around good pokemon will also be looked at, but not Giratina. Can someone hint into what I'm looking at facing, as far as problem gyms goes? Also E4 members I need to watch for?
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 06:11:18 AM »
You know, Crobat can learn Fly... Fly is also a pretty good move against AI since they won't see it coming. And stop putting Staraptor down - it kicks ass (just be sure to learn Close Combat to kill Rock types).
Pidgeot
HP:     83
Attack:    80
Defense:    75
Sp.Atk:    70
Sp.Def:    70
Speed:    91
Staraptor
HP:     85
Attack:    120
Defense:    70
Sp.Atk:    50
Sp.Def:    50
Speed:    100

Drifblim has an Ice weakness - if you put it in that will make three Pokes with that problem. Rotom and some Magnemite (be careful there) have Levitate, which negates Ground-type attacks. Rotom doesn't need to evolve, and in Platinum you can also change it to more powerful forms with an event item.

Psychic types are nowhere near as overpowered as they used to be - almost everyone knows a Ghost or Dark move with decent strength.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:39:48 AM by Prime32 »
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »
+1 to Prime's post. Staraptor is not just a Fly slave. In fact, I neglected to teach my own Staraptor Fly altogether because there's so many other cool moves. (For the record, my Staraptor right now knows Return, Close Combat, Aerial Ace, and Brave Bird.) Note that Close Combat is also super effective against Ice, another weakness of Flying types.
As an aside, Return is a great attack to teach any high-attack Normal-type pokémon you have (like, oh, Staraptor). It has a maximum base damage of 102 (at maximum Happiness), at 100% accuracy and 20 PP, so it's a very good default attack to fall back on. Frustration does the same except based on how much your pokémon hates you, but it's actually easier to get may Happiness (since pokémon on your team get happier by themselves so long as you don't actively make them unhappy).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:05:20 AM by Agita »
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Agita's Awesome Poster Compilation
Lycanthromancer's Awesome Poster Compilation

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 09:07:40 PM »
I was referring to Starraptor as a Fly-slave because I've decided that everyone around here knows Staraptor is good, and I'm having fun watching you all get mad at me whenever I do so.

I think that Crobat is not worth the effort. Staraptor is probably going to take that slot.

I'm not going to wait 'til friday to get a Drifblim, I've decided. I'm too impatient.

I will, however, need a pokemon with surf. Ideas for one I can get soon? (Note: This'll bring my party to a Fire/Fighting, a Ghost/Electric, a Ground/Dragon, a Pure Electric, a Flying/Normal and that surfer dude.)
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 11:04:55 PM »
I was referring to Starraptor as a Fly-slave because I've decided that everyone around here knows Staraptor is good, and I'm having fun watching you all get mad at me whenever I do so.

I think that Crobat is not worth the effort. Staraptor is probably going to take that slot.

I'm not going to wait 'til friday to get a Drifblim, I've decided. I'm too impatient.

I will, however, need a pokemon with surf. Ideas for one I can get soon? (Note: This'll bring my party to a Fire/Fighting, a Ghost/Electric, a Ground/Dragon, a Pure Electric, a Flying/Normal and that surfer dude.)

Sadly, the best Surf Slave happens to be Bibarel. In an emergency, it can provide you up to three turns of stall against some Overused Pokemon (not Ubers though, and nothing Electric). A good Surfer slave happens to be Lapras: Good stats, and the ability to learn 3 of the 4 One-hit KOs (Sheer Cold, Horn Drill, Fissure).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2009, 12:39:31 AM »
I want something that is useful with Surf, yes.

However, I'll also need an HM Slave. That was going to be Bibarel... (Strength, Rock Smash, Surf, Cut?)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2009, 01:03:58 PM »

However, I'll also need an HM Slave. That was going to be Bibarel... (Strength, Rock Smash, Surf, Cut?)

Can Bibarel learn Rock Climb? If so, that will prove more useful than Cut (Mt Coronet).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2009, 01:24:46 PM »

Can Bibarel learn Rock Climb? If so, that will prove more useful than Cut (Mt Coronet).
Yes. In fact, I think it can learn all HMs except Fly.
It's all about vision and making reality conform to your vision. By dropping a fucking house on it.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 01:36:50 PM »

IIRC, only Fliers can learn Defog, not that you need that HM to advance.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 01:37:48 PM »
However, I'll have no grass, water or ice types. Also, no Psychic types, something else I want a little bit. Any all around good pokemon will also be looked at, but not Giratina. Can someone hint into what I'm looking at facing, as far as problem gyms goes? Also E4 members I need to watch for?

If it's available, I recommend a Starmie (Water/Psychic; it's an old favorite of mine), throw in a water, ice and psychic move on it and you're set...

...seeing all this talk makes me want to buy a DS badly  :banghead

Agita

• Organ Grinder
  • SFT is mai waifu.
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 01:40:51 PM »

IIRC, only Fliers can learn Defog, not that you need that HM to advance.
Right, I keep forgetting that one because it's entirely irrelevant. :lol
It did help in finding a few items on that route, though.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 02:10:45 PM »

If it's available, I recommend a Starmie (Water/Psychic; it's an old favorite of mine), throw in a water, ice and psychic move on it and you're set...

...seeing all this talk makes me want to buy a DS badly  :banghead

I want my Xbox back more than I want a DS (I want the DS for HGSS when it comes out).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »

My current HM slaves are Bibarel (Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb) and Dragonite (Fly, Surf, Waterfall, Defog)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2009, 05:54:03 AM »

My current HM slaves are Bibarel (Cut, Strength, Rock Smash, Rock Climb) and Dragonite (Fly, Surf, Waterfall, Defog)
Dragonite as an HM slave? Heresy :fu

:P
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

K-Mech

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2009, 08:28:20 AM »
Sorry, not Monferno, Infernape. Thats what I meant.

I've been seeing talk of IVs and EVs and things that seem like they over complicate the game.

As an aside, I've progressed to having a Monferno, an Abra, a Beaver thing, which probably sucks, a Kricketot, a Shinx and a Starly.

IVs and EVs, while somewhat important, only REALLY matter if you play competitively...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2009, 08:34:19 AM »

You know, Mew can learn every HM in the game. :p

Surf is a very good move. Waterfall is now good on a Gyarados, since it's a Physical water move and only slightly weaker than Aqua Tail.
My work

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2009, 09:02:55 AM »

You know, Mew can learn every HM in the game. :p

Surf is a very good move. Waterfall is now good on a Gyarados, since it's a Physical water move and only slightly weaker than Aqua Tail.

Jup, those are actually decent moves, and not crap like Defog :P

Prak, the Mad

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
yeah, I'm not fond of relegating Dragonite to an HM slave, and I hate using bibarel at all, but I haven't scanned through to find another two that can hold all the hms between them.