Author Topic: Looking for Aerial Charger Advice  (Read 1152 times)

Naldor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Looking for Aerial Charger Advice
« on: October 02, 2009, 10:58:07 PM »
Hello all, I come to beseech the brethren of optimization for aid in creating a decent aerial combatant.  My group has decided that I ought to play a melee character for a time, and so I've tried to put together an interesting little charger build that won't break the game but still has decent damage output and can do something interesting.

I've got what I think should be a solid build, but I worry that it might be too mount-focused, and am wondering if people might be able to suggest something (perhaps ToB?) that would make better use of the flight mechanic.

This character's main combat strategy is to make flying charges with his Valorous Lance, while using his mount as cover via epic Ride checks and then negate any hits on his mount with Improved Mounted Combat from the Aglarondan Griffonrider class.

Note: Before people start screaming "you don't meet the PrC pre-reqs, fool!" all skill-based pre-reqs are met by means of what I've decided to dub the "Skill Point Quickstep" which lets my ranks in a skill exceed the usual HD +3.  If anyone is interested, the method is detailed here.  I'd like for this thread to not be bogged down by discussing the legality of the quickstep, but feel free to post about it in the original thread.

Here's the build I've put together:

Note: 2 Flaws at first level

Race: Undecided as of yet.

1st: Mystic Ranger 1 [Mounted Combat, Ride-by Attack, Track, Trample] {Dragon 336 105}
2nd: Lion Totem Horselord Barbarian 1 {Dragon 338, pg. 88}
3rd: Horseman 1 [Power Attack, Item Familiar] {Dragon 310, pg. 36}
4th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 1
5th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 2
6th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 3 [Spirited Charge]
7th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 4
8th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 5
9th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 6 [Improved Bull Rush]
10th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 7
11th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 8
12th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 9 [Shocktrooper]
13th: Aglarondan Griffonrider 10
14th: Windrider 1

For my ride check, I figure that I'll just put 27 or so ranks into ride, double that with Item Familiar for +54 to ride, then let masterwork tools, ability mods, items, etc. make up the difference so that I can auto-make the DC 60 ride check to use my mount as cover.  This should also be enough to negate most any hit on my mount, which I can do four times per round.

So what do you think?  Viable strategy?