Author Topic: Help with a fast scout. Please!  (Read 5095 times)

Generic_PC

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Help with a fast scout. Please!
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 02:09:17 AM »
Quote from: The SRD, Tripping
You can only trip an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller.

Have fun tripping halflings.

I'd say go Dragonborn Quickling. Because Unseelie is just too ridiculous. Take wings, as we want Flyby Attack.

Swordsage 1: Shadow Blade (dex To Damage), Weapon Finesse, Maybe TWF? Using Daggers gives you like 1d3 to attack rolls, so TWF is probably your friend. Use that +9 Dex Mod.

Whenever you can fly, get flyby attack, and mentioned improvements that let you take multiple attacks. You'll basically be riding on your Dex for damage, and you'll drop off fast. Make sure you find a way (Corrosive Weapons, Assassins Stance, whatever) to get bonus damage dice, so you don't have to rely to much on your dex. At level 20, your dex, assuming a +5 tome, +5 level adds, and a +6 item, is still only 44, which is still only 17 damage, much less than a slightly well built Barbarian.
Witty sayings? Nah, not right now. Currently playing Dwarf Fortress and League of Legends. I really recommend League of Legends.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 02:33:44 AM »
Throw the daggers and apply Dex to damage twice with Dead Eye. That gives +34 on each attack, which isn't bad at all. Oh! Master Thrower! Palm Throw! Make them all ranged touch attacks!

Point Blank Shot
Weapon Focus (Dagger)
Precise Shot
Flyby Attack
Great Flyby Attack
Shadow Blade
Dead Eye
...Rapid Shot? TWF? Room for anything.

and Master Thrower 5 and Swordsage 1.

Assuming your modifier is +17 in the end, you fly across the field, attacking up to 17 different things. Ranged touch attack vs two daggers dealing 1d2 + 34. Oh and you can make trip attacks too.

Limitations: Using Great Flyby Attack means that you can't deal well with single target. When that comes up, just sit 90 feet in the air and Full Round.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:48:16 AM by bearsarebrown »

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »
take a 1 level dip into hit and run(DotU) targeteer fighter(drag mag) for an additional 2xdex to damage. the hit and run fighter bonus only works vs flatfooted though, and you need a posative str mod in order for targeteer's vital aim to work.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2009, 04:26:33 PM »
Though the Targeteer don't have the Tower Shield prof. needed for the DtoU sub-level.

Palm throw won't net precision damage, which IIRC most of the Dex-to-damage bonuses are.

And since vital aim (the targeteer special) lets you use your Dex instead of Str on damage, it won't work with the 5th level ability in Master Thrower for ranged touch attacks, which nulifies any existing Str bonus.

It's still a good idea though, just pointing out that we can't get every delicious ounce of Dex-mania and throwing goodness together.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »
Ah, Shadow Blade isn't precision, but Dead Eye is. Honestly I don't know anything about Targeteer or DotU Fighter, but if they can work, that'd be good. You'd still be hitting for 2d3 + 51 at least.

Anklebite

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I shall play you the song of my people.
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »
actually, hit and run fighter prohibits you from EVER learning those proficiencies, if I recall correctly.

And, you can give up str to damage THREE separate times!  once for vital aim, again for palm throw, and do it once more for weak spot(make em all touch attacks)!  not entirely sure about the legality of it, but I think there is a good case for it working.
I do not suffer from paranoia; I enjoy every second of it.
Pioneer of the Ultimate Magus + Sublime Chord + Ultimate Magus combo

daken201

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2009, 06:16:39 PM »
WOW! i wasn't expecting quite this much attention  :o . Thank you all for the help. ok the LA on this thing is + 0 only because the rest of the party consists of a wizard, a cleric, a druid, and a warblade...... yea.....ok  :twitch

anyways high matabolism is kind of a penalty. healing potions are basically usless for me and sense it halves the durration on anything else....poisons secondary effects happen only 5 rounds after first not 10.

I think i am going to go for scout-4 ranger-5  swordsage-1 dervish-10... thousand cuts just sounds mean when you can cover an entire army with it  :devil . I will try to get the shadow template or the item that lets me change into a dark creature.

I am using a shortsword at the moment.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2009, 07:15:09 PM »
actually, hit and run fighter prohibits you from EVER learning those proficiencies, if I recall correctly.

And, you can give up str to damage THREE separate times!  once for vital aim, again for palm throw, and do it once more for weak spot(make em all touch attacks)!  not entirely sure about the legality of it, but I think there is a good case for it working.

Yeah, the Hit and Run ACF prohibits you from obtaining the heavy armor and tower shield proficiencies, baring actual Feats.
But you need to have them first, then give them up for the ACF to work. Targeteer don't have the Tower Shield prof. needed to sacrifice it for the Hit and Run ACF. It annyoed the crap out of me when I discovered it a while back. :(

I don't think Vital Aim and Weak Spot works together and here's why:

1. Weak Spot won't allow you to apply your Str mod to damage.
Now add:
2. Vital Aim let's you apply your Dex instead of your Str mod.
Which would lead to:
3. Weak Spot won't allow you to apply your Dex mod to damage.

Ergo, Weak Spot, RAW, wouldn't allow you to make use of Vital Aim.
Not in any meaningful way, at least.

Of course, I'm of the oppinion that thrower-based builds need all the help they can get, so I wouldn't object to a few light house rules such as netting HaR-Targeteer. And with the rest of the party looking the way it does, I doubt it would be an issue.

Anyway, the point is moot here, since melee still seems to be the OP prefered vocation.

IIRC, there's a maneuver somewhere in ToB/Bo9S that works like the dervish dance, that might be interesting.

Improved Skirmish, if you go for the Swift Hunter-Dervish route, would be a no-brainer.
Oh noes, I need to move 20 of my..what was it now again, 500? :o, feet before I attack. Poor me.[/irony]
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »
IIRC, there's a maneuver somewhere in ToB/Bo9S that works like the dervish dance, that might be interesting.

Desert Wind maneuver, 3 attacks only. No damage bonus, but double your speed for the movement.

@OP: I'm working on a Swordsage/Scout Dual advancement PrC. Ask your DM if you can test it for me.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

daken201

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2009, 07:40:15 PM »
Sounds like a great new class but I cant playtest it cause we are playtesting the quickling. I was asked to stay melee cause the range support is already good.

Does anyone think the feat 'up the walls' from the XHB would be worth the investment?

I actually toned down the quickling from what it was in ADD. A strait conversion would have put it at about +4 LA and 1 HD

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
Quote from: The SRD, Tripping
You can only trip an opponent who is one size category larger than you, the same size, or smaller.

Have fun tripping halflings.

Confound the Big Folk lets you trip opponents that are 2 or more sizes larger than you, with the Unsteady Footing tactical option.

daken201

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009, 12:05:40 AM »
where is confound the big folk found?

Emy

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 01:51:23 AM »
where is confound the big folk found?

Races of the Wild.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 12:50:22 AM »

Desert Wind maneuver, 3 attacks only. No damage bonus, but double your speed for the movement.

You must be thinking of a different one than I am.  Desert Tempest (Des Wind 6) allows you to make a double move and attack each foe when you leave the squares adjacent to them (one attack per target max).  Combined with Cloak of Deception to get rid of the AoO's, and it could be quite handy (though rather high level).
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

daken201

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 03:09:41 PM »
 :D Thanks everyone. i used all the advice given and made a prety good speed freak...
The DM likes it and thinks it complaments the rest of the party great... we are all having a great time.

so thanks again.

Praef

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »
This thread may be old, but the quickling race just calls for a jumplomancer.  Fanatic followers?  yes please.