Author Topic: striker help -- Ranger/Rogue hybrid? other options?  (Read 5388 times)

Unbeliever

• King Kong
striker help -- Ranger/Rogue hybrid? other options?
« on: September 30, 2009, 08:50:41 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to 4E and still a bit at sea w/ character builds (the armada of powers probably has something to do w/ it).  So, I was hoping for some help w/ implementing it.  I've read through all the handbooks in order to try and grasp the builds.  Doesn't have to be uber-optimized, just playable at all levels and reasonably good at what it does.  Thanks in advance.

Goal:  a melee striker, preferably wielding 2 weapons, w/ some decent options for either debuffs or battlefield manipulation (knockdown, pushing targets around, etc.).  Mobility and out of combat skill/utility options a plus, as would be not being too fragile since I want to mix it up in melee.  Not particularly interested in sneaking around.

My initial feeling was that Ranger fit the bill nicely, from everything I've read it's a solid striker and it'd be nice since it was the red-headed stepchild in 3E.  However, it seems really lacking in the debuffing, etc. stuff that I would really like to have. Rogue was also a neat option, though I'd like to be able to mix it up in melee more directly and didn't want to focus on sneaking.  Although if there are solid, durable Rogue build options out there then maybe that'd be profitable. Assassin strikes me as very cool, but I'm skeptical of my ability to play it profitably and it also seems to stray into glass cannon territory.

Given all that, I was thinking maybe a Ranger/Rogue Hybrid would be the way to go (?).  That, or maybe if there's a way to generate the debuffing w/ a straight Ranger, maybe through feats or gear -- e.g., if there's a crit-fisher build and then there are weapons or feats that debuff (or trip or whatever) when you crit that could be really cool.  Similarly, maybe a more durable Rogue w/ wintercheese to generate CA, which people don't say is all that hard to get anyway, could work.

Sorry if any of that is overly vague.  As I said I'm a little at sea w/ the new system.  I have access to most of the books, though I don't have a DDI account yet.  Thanks.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Re: striker help -- Ranger/Rogue hybrid? other options?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:56:26 PM »
You can TWF with any class, but only the TWF Ranger and and Tempest Fighter can put both weapons to use - everyone else has to settle for the TWF feat.  So you have to judge how important TWF is relative to the control-elements you're looking for.

borg286

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »
A nice way for a ranged character to do some battlefield control is to use ammunition.  Of particular usage is the spider bolts(slows target and all adjacent creatures) and lightning arrows(dazes target + 1d6 damage).  These won't be spammable till mid heroic+.  If you're looking for great damage + pushing+knocking prone go for a charger build, which can be put onto almost any character/build, which by itself, wouldn't come to fruition till later.  At level 1 and 2 go for whatever you like.  Retrain your level 2 feat to mounted combat and get a war horse(+5 damage on charges), later to be upgraded to a dire boar at level 6(min level to ride the beast).  The dire boar has the control you're looking for.  It pushes 2 and prones on its attack when you charge.  If you have proficiency in hammers(ranger here) go for an avalanche hammer(+1[w] on charges, so get the 1d10 1-handed hammer or the maul(2d6)).  Here( http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22105109/DPR_King_Candidates_2.0&post_num=335#390751749 ) is an example of one.  The first post also has some other striker options.  A warlock using eldritch strike slides 1 so that may fulfill your control need. 

Lektor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:25:05 PM »
The whirling barbarian option is also pretty nice though not much control either. But decent durability.