Author Topic: Bard-a-din/Seeker of the Song/Dervish (wtf?)  (Read 2618 times)

Tsabrak

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Bard-a-din/Seeker of the Song/Dervish (wtf?)
« on: September 28, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »
I'm working on a pretty complicated character concept and am coming to you all to help me fill in the gaps (and perhaps set me straight as needed!)  Here's the build as I have it so far:

Cobra Strike Monk 2/ Bard 1/ Harmonious Knight 7/Seeker of the Song 6/ Dervish 4
Human Female
Vow of Poverty
Houserule:  Harmonious Knight Inspire will scale in the same way as Bard Inspire.
Flaw allowed: 1

Alternative Class Features: 
Spellbreaker Song (bard)
Bardic Knack (bard)
Spell Reflection (monk)
Cobra Strike (monk)
Holy Warrior (paladin)
Charging Smite (paladin)
Harmonious Knight (paladin)

Feats that are important:
Dragonsong Inspiration
Devoted Performer
Aestetic Knight
Sacred Vow
Vow of Poverty
Dragonblood
"required feats" of course
...?

The basic plot:  I was inspired (as so many are) by Jessica Alba's character in the m"Sin City" and that is where I am going with this one.  This character will be a "stripper" paladin maxing out Perform (Dance).  So off the cuff, the character is focusing on my Perform skill (important for Seeker of the Song 6), and I want her to be effective while naked or scantily clad.  I have a TON of MAD, but CHA will be the stat of focus.  I've merged in some additional backstory regarding, that in some manner (I haven't decided yet), she is channeling Inigo Montoya (sp?) and is seeking vengeance against a spellcaster of some sort.  This culminates in her 6th level SoS power and to a lesser degree her Spellbreaker and Spell Reflection abilities.  Lastly is her over-arching belief in the power of her dance (again, think Jessica Alba!!!) and how her art can cause just about anything to transpire.  I am OBVIOUSLY having some feat problems.  I want a ton and can't get them all.  I have 5-6 "needs" and a few "wants".  I would love suggestions and perhaps worship builds, but even criticism of the plan is welcome as well.  The campaign is a "city based" campaign setting, so social stuff is going to be important as well.

Thanks for the look and any thoughts-

Tsabrak

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Bard-a-din/Seeker of the Song/Dervish (wtf?)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 04:58:12 PM »
I assume your DM is ignoring alignment restrictions? Bards cannot be lawful, but Monks have to be.

Tsabrak

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:03:17 PM »
Ah sorry-  Yes, at this point in time, alignment is not a concern (although XP penalty IS)

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 05:14:28 PM »
So long as you take no more than 2 levels in monk/bard, you won't take any XP penalties from those. Prestige Classes don't count for XP penalties, and once Paladin reaches 3rd (high enough to grant an XP penalty), it'll become your favored class (since you're human), so you still don't take a penalty.

Are you planning to just start Inspire Courage (with Dragonfire Inspiration) and then go on the attack, so it runs for 5 rounds and then stops? Also, what are you planning to use with Dervish? Keep in mind that Vow of Poverty leaves you /very/ restricted in terms of weapons (I think you can only carry one simple weapon).

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »
Ditch VoP. You're MAD, and need a Belt of Magnificence along with a decent magic weapon (Crystal Echoblade, MiC). Two feats you can live without. Unless it is absolutely vital to the character (prereqs), you can live without it. Or if your DM never gives out treasure/items.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »
Snowflake Wardance anyone?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 05:50:39 PM »
Toss in a 1 lvl dip into battledancer for cha to ac
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Tsabrak

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:01:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  Here's some info in return:

So long as you take no more than 2 levels in monk/bard, you won't take any XP penalties from those. Prestige Classes don't count for XP penalties, and once Paladin reaches 3rd (high enough to grant an XP penalty), it'll become your favored class (since you're human), so you still don't take a penalty.
Sorry I didn't indicate it, but this is exactly why I am rolling human (well, and for the feat/skills!)

Are you planning to just start Inspire Courage (with Dragonfire Inspiration) and then go on the attack, so it runs for 5 rounds and then stops? Also, what are you planning to use with Dervish? Keep in mind that Vow of Poverty leaves you /very/ restricted in terms of weapons (I think you can only carry one simple weapon).
I had actually planned on taking the feat that allows your unarmed attacks to count as S/B/or P weapons.  So unarmed attacks was the plan all along.  As for inspire courage, initially yes...but as I get to Dervish levels I can perform while fighting as part of the Dervish Dance.

Ditch VoP. You're MAD, and need a Belt of Magnificence along with a decent magic weapon (Crystal Echoblade, MiC). Two feats you can live without. Unless it is absolutely vital to the character (prereqs), you can live without it. Or if your DM never gives out treasure/items.
Sadly, it's pretty vital to the character.  And my MAD is scary!

Snowflake Wardance anyone?
I'm all for it if I can find a way to fit it in.  So far, that one has been the odd feat out-

Toss in a 1 lvl dip into battledancer for cha to ac
Oh, I haven't stumbled into this one.  I'll definitely check it out!

Thanks!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 06:16:45 PM »
I had actually planned on taking the feat that allows your unarmed attacks to count as S/B/or P weapons.  So unarmed attacks was the plan all along.
Try the skarn race from Magic of Incarnum - they get +2 Str, -2 Dex and can use the spines on their arms to deal slashing damage with unarmed strikes. Plus they get a point of essentia.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tsabrak

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 06:07:26 PM »
Bump

***EDITED -  DOH!! Sorry everyone.  I had accidentally used the "FO" emoticon, thinking it was a guy pointing upwards!  No offense meant and sorry for my douchery!!!***
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:27:27 PM by Tsabrak »